Un-split copy of my DB (1 Viewer)

falcondeer

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:53
Good morning

I split my DB without saving a non-split copy as a backup.
I do not want to unsplit the DB now because many front end users are working on it already.
What should I do !

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
Why would you save a non-split copy as backup? That really makes no sense. You save back up of each file.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I would even go as far as saying you only need to create a backup copy of the backend/data file, because all you need is a master copy of the frontend to replace all broken/corrupted copies for the users.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:53
Hmm, since each User should have a Front-end to work on not sure I see the problem? Are you saying you want to make updates the Front-end? If so then make the changes on the Master Front-end and redistribute to your Users.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 07:53
Whilst I completely agree with all the above comments, 'unsplitting' is a simple task if you ever really do need it.
Right click on all the linked tables in the FE and select convert to local table. Job done!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You should retain an unused copy of the front end, in case any users need a fresh version. Have this on different media to the working copy.
You should have a backup plan for the backend, and all shared/server files.

You don't need to recombine the front and back ends. It's hardly any use anyway, as the data will be out of date immediately.

falcondeer

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks very much for all of you,
Honestly, I am a physiotherapist, I created this for my department and I put a lot of effort and time to accomplish this project. I might leave the place so I wanted to a have a non-split copy for my self (that is working without a network) with all the features in it. That's it.
Thanks guys.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 02:53
have a non-split copy for my self (that is working without a network)
You can still have a split version for yourself for testing. Instead of the BE on the network it just on your computer. That is pretty standard way to keep on working and developing your updated front end.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You are better working with a split version, because some code works with local tables, but not with a split database (eg indexed reads using seek), and you don't want to issue an update that fails in the production environment.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It is the sensible option to keep the database split even for a single user because if you get a corruption and it is not split you have lost everything. Admittedly you can go back to a backup, but corruption can be insidious and grow in small steps particularly in the front end, so your backups may still have a small level of corruption which will grow again. Corruption of the backend tends to be more immediate as the result of an interrupted transaction for example

falcondeer

Registered User.
Local time
You can still have a split version for yourself for testing. Instead of the BE on the network it just on your computer. That is pretty standard way to keep on working and developing your updated front end.
Thanks for your suggestion, but how can I change the location of the back end, where in the front end should I do it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for your suggestion, but how can I change the location of the back end, where in the front end should I do it.
You can try using the Linked Table Manager. Click the Select All button and make sure the Prompt for location checkbox is checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom