Unexplainable Questions (1 Viewer)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:08
Every gamer with an interest in RPG's has played Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, the Witcher, etc. :p

Have you played the original Fallout, Icewind Dale, the Baldur's Gate series, or Planescape: Torment? How about the original Deus Ex? Hell, the CRPG was a dead genre and well on its way to never being heard from again save in JRPG format until Baldur's Gate came out and changed everything.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 12:08
I have played the original Fallout, never got to the end.

Didn't really like it to be honest. I am a big fan of real time strategy games (build-a-base). I enjoy these games as I do get a sense of accomplishment from defeating opponents in friendly competition and knowing I am growing in skill by doing so.

Diablo III was a favourite of mine, though I do prefer Diablo II's storyline(do you have the expansion for Diablo III? Very cool :cool:)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Ah, I loved Fallout. There's a reason it's up there with DE and PST on the 'best RPG of all time' listings.

I have a couple friends who work at Blizzard, so needless to say I wind up getting everything that comes out.

Also, this derail would probably be best off moved to the Gaming forum so we can let this thread get back on track. ;)

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
It was okay, just couldn't really get into it.

I'm a fan of blizzard, played all of their games to date :) (including expansions)

I's sure that would be the best option ;)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Next unexplainable question:

What is more likely to derail a thread: Climate Change, Religion, Politics, or Gaming?

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
or is that super nintendo?

Edit: Think it was this one

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Pulling the thread and the derail together

"What makes adults spend their spare time gazing at a little screen playing games, more especially if they work with damn screens all day?"

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Escapism, entertainment, relaxation.

The same thing that makes people passively watch a different little screen all day after working on a little screen all day, or read a book after reading all day.

Hell, I've been known to follow a long day of coding with coming home and working on code for my own projects, and my friends who work for Blizzard generally come home and play World of Warcraft. *shrug*

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Not necessarily an unexplainable question, but one that doesn't have an obvious answer.
Strange "animal pairings" -- Jack and Charley from Nature on PBS.

I do believe that this one was missed!

I would say that animals all have the same kind of thought process.

If they aren't predator and prey then they will co-exist in peace. Why not be mutually beneficial.

It has been seen (believe it or not) by certain native tribes who use some kind of bird (the name escapes me) to lead them to bee hives to retrieve honey. and as a sign of respect to the birds for showing them the way, the bird receives it's portion of the honey.

It really is amazing how animals do communicate.

This bird communicates through a type of whistle that is familiar to the native tribes and the natives respond in a similar whistle to the bird - so they are actually communicating with the bird.

Co-existing has also been seen within the ocean.

Killer whales and great white sharks co-existed steering well clear of each other because it would be mutually beneficial to each other. (obviously recently a great white was eaten by a Orca, there are disputes as to why this happened but who knows.)

My answer to this would be Animals have more intelligence than we give them credit for, They may even be capable of realising friendships. I'm sure somewhere I have seen someone who saved a lion from a hunters trap and in turn the lion left the person who saved it alone.

If they are capable of common decency, why not friendship?

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 04:08
Next unexplainable question:

What is more likely to derail a thread: Climate Change, Religion, Politics, or Gaming?

Let's focus on what's really important.
So the answer is Gaming.

Conner - the OP - hello?
You're sure you're ok with this derail?
Because I have a lot more to say on this topic.

I've been a gaming nut since I was 5 years old and that was just a shade under 60 years ago. My first game addiction was pinball - I put every nickel I could save (they were a nickel in those days) into pinball machines.

FFWD 20 years and the mighty PONG came out on the Motorola Odyssy.
Bought it.

After that, all HELL broke loose in video gaming.
I had the Atari 2600 as soon as it was released - and bought almost every game.
I had the Mattel Intellivision, the Colico game system and then the Commodore Amiga 500 - which blew all the previous systems to smithereens. And of course the classic arcade games: Pac Man, Asteroids, Centipede, Donkey Kong, and DK Junior.

I never got into D&D games though. Read about them - sounded like fun - but you needed to join some kind of club for it and I'm not a club joiner. It's like Groucho said: I'd never want to belong to any club that would accept people like me as a member. I bought the set-up - the weird dice and all, but never took the next step.

Roll the calendar fwd again. PC games exploded. My favorites: Sim City, Lemmings, Warcraft (the original - not World of Warcraft), Command and Conquer, and of course DOOM.

Then I got the PlayStation 3 and I thought I died and went to heaven. Loved Fallout, BioShock, Infamous and a funny download from Japan that's relatively unknown called The Last Guy.

Then last week, as I said, I got the PS4 and once again I'm in the Playboy mansion of gaming.

Now to the main part of my story (that's right, all the above was background).

I got a "game" last night that I can say will be life-changing - and NO exaggeration. It's called Rocksmith. I told you I've spent my life studying classical guitar (when I wasn't either playing games or having to deal with those annoying distractions called "school" and then later in life, a "job").

Rocksmith is much more than a game - it teaches you how to play rock guitar, which since I play classical, you might think that playing rock would be like falling off a log for me but anything would be further from the truth. I can play complex Bach sonatas that are mindblowingly difficult, but when it comes to ROCK 'N ROLL I'm all thumbs. Never understood how to do it. Well Rocksmith teaches you! In graphical format, you choose a song and the actual original song plays while you play the guitar part and it shows you on the screen what to do in a graphical way, and then scores you. The best part is, with the cable that comes with the game (or you get it separately) you plug in your actual ax and use it as a kind of game controller (I bought a Strat years ago and have been waiting for someone to teach me how to play it - and now that someone has arrived!)

This "game" would actually be worth the cost of the entire playstation if it only ran this one program. It's a whole guitar teaching system. ANd I'm a guitar teacher - I have 5-6 students all learning classical. I'm thinking of telling these kids to forget the nylon string classicals and get an electric guitar, a PlayStation, and Rocksmith 2014 - that's if they ever want to get any girls. I'm telling you from experience, only the ugly girls go for classical guitarists. But then I'd be out of a job so I can't do that.

I've just started exploring the Rocksmith but I can see already the possibilities are enormous. I haven't been this excited since I got the high score in Missile Command!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D

Oh yes, back to the thread. Sorry for the huge derail. So the next unexplainable question is:
HOW IN HELL AM I GOING TO PUT THIS THING DOWN??

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
I'm entirely okay with it, Feel free.

It doesn't stop anyone else posting their unexplainable questions :)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Heh

With D&D and the other tabletop RPG's, there's no more 'club' for you to join than there is to go to the bar. You play it with your friends, that's all. There are some gaming clubs out there, but they're more about exposing people to all sorts of different games. But seriously, all you need is yourself and 3-5 other people willing to play once a night and a place to play, and you have your gaming group.

Hell, right now I have one group that plays boardgames on Sundays, a related group that does Pathfinder on Saturdays, and a different group that does boardgames around every other Friday. (Yeah, geek, haven't done the Friday night bar thing since college.)

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 04:08
Getting back to the topic of this thread (unexplainable questions) - I have a good one.
A long time ago I happened on an unexplainable phenomenon, having to do with tuning a guitar. What I observed seems to defy the laws of physics. I wrote up an article about my observation.
It's appropriate for the topic of this thread. I wrote this a long time ago and have asked a number of engineers for their explanation - I never received a satisfactory one.

So you theoretical physicists out there - here's a practical problem for you to chew on: http://marcfriedlander.com/ramblings/sharpening_effect.htm

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Based on the thousands of articles out there on guitar tuning, of which I just read through a dozen or so, it seems that it can have a number of causes ranging from low quality strings, the strings being too small for the drop tuning, the neck on electric guitars seems to be a constant source of trouble, as does the bridge. It seems to be a complicated issue that non-guitarists won't be answering any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom