Update (1 Viewer)

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Yesterday, 23:03
Hi everyone. I'm half-way through my classes. I have 6 more weeks before I graduate, and placed in my real job.

I'm disappointed in myself at the moment. I am 6/10s of a point from an A. Blah...blah..blah. I guess I have to work harder to make that up. I currently have a 9.20 (out of 100 for the UK folks). Ok, maybe that is 8/10's. Lol....sheesh my math skills have gotten worse.

I have JCL under my belt now, and Cobol. I am learning Aps this week. It is suppose to make doing Cobol much easier. I do know that I have a higher appricieation of VB now. The programs I've had to write I could have done with 30 lines of VB code, but it took about 300 lines in Cobol. :eek:

Well, I see that The UK crew is still 'playing' nice/not so nice with the Colonials. Don't make me come up in here and straighten y'all out. :D I do miss everyone here greatly, and miss our daily banter.

Well, off to class now. Just remember I may not be visible, but I am watching you. :eek: :cool:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 05:03
selenau837 said:
......... but I am watching you.

While scoring 9.20 over 100, you listened to much to Sting ? ;)

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
Ill be watching you

6 more weeks is a hell of a long time :rolleyes:

selenau837

Local time
rak said:
While scoring 9.20 over 100, you listened to much to Sting ? ;)

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
Ill be watching you

6 more weeks is a hell of a long time :rolleyes:

Sheesh, apparetnly I can't tpye. I have a 92.20...lol good thing math isn't a huge requirment in my job.

Yup, I love Sting...lol

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
selenau837 said:
Sheesh, apparetnly I can't tpye. I have a 92.20...lol good thing math isn't a huge requirment in my job.
whew!:eek: :eek: I was wondering how that worked:D
The 'A-' sounds much better than the 'F'...or would 9.2 be more like a 'Z'?:eek:

Anyway, nice job!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 04:03
Bodisathva said:
whew!:eek: :eek: I was wondering how that worked:D
When I read it, I just assumed it was some bizarre method Americans use for giving results - totally at odds to the rest of the world of course (as usual):rolleyes:

Col

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
couldn't resist, huh?:rolleyes:

Careful on hijacking the Equalizer's...er, I mean, Peacekeeper's thread, she'll start throwing those thwacks around again...:eek:

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Hello there :)

I see you are doing very well for yourself, I'm really pleased for you.

It seems ages since I last had a proper scan of these boards, bet I've missed out on lots of gossip!

Glad you are doing well and maybe catch up with you on AOL again some time

All the best
Hay

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 22:03
Glad to see things are going well. You'll be back in no time at all. :)

selenau837

Local time
Bodisathva said:
couldn't resist, huh?:rolleyes:

Careful on hijacking the Equalizer's...er, I mean, Peacekeeper's thread, she'll start throwing those thwacks around again...:eek:

Bodi---Cute, I like that Equalizer...*flexes non-existent muscles* However, Peacekeeper is my Day time name, and the Equalizer is the Super Hero Name...:D

Hals,
Yes, well have to catch up on AOL. Alot of good gossip I can give you. ;)

Col deary!! Yes, it was a mistake. So be nice and don't cause me to Thwack you again. :cool: :D

Thanks Ms G.....Yes, I'll be back....completly void of VBA....:eek: Cobol is pushing out all the rest....:eek:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
JCL? Egads - not a "bimmer" person, are you? That's as in "IBM-er" bimmer. Which could also be stated as: Bimmer? Bummer!

For any other operating system (UNIX, OpenVMS, even *yechh* Windows Scripting), the command language is the best thing to learn because you can use it to tie so much together.

For IBM OS JCL, unless there has been an epiphany of a major sort (or unless you switch to REXX), JCL might be worse than COBOL.

Good luck.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Most people use such a small subset of JCL that it is not really an issue, unless things have changed in the last 20 years, I keep forgettig how long ago it was.:eek:

BTW Sel you do know that IBM stands for "I've Been Misled" due to the over hype of the salesmen.

There is the story of the IBM salesman who on his honeymoon sat on the edge of the bed all night telling his new bride how good it would be when she finally got it.

Brian

Last edited:

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
Jcl

I still use JCL in IBM MVS/TSO to run some jobs. The machine is a batch machine (number cruncher). We say "Life is a batch." There are some good books on JCL written by Gary Deward Brown. Just like everything else, once you get the hang of it, no big deal! Good luck!

selenau837

Local time
Jacob Mathai said:
I still use JCL in IBM MVS/TSO to run some jobs. The machine is a batch machine (number cruncher). We say "Life is a batch." There are some good books on JCL written by Gary Deward Brown. Just like everything else, once you get the hang of it, no big deal! Good luck!

Thanks Jacob!! That is exactly what I use it in. My job is batch as well. Once I'm fully trained I will not be writting cobol. I will do trouble shooting, change sheets and lots and lots of research of other peoples code. I learned that today from my Mentor.

It sounds like fun. I do love trouble shooting and stuff. However this week I am learning Aps. I like it becuase it build Cobol for me. :D YEAH!!! No more SPACE-CONTROLs to keep up with or WRITE-LINES.....

Ohhh well I'm loving the fact I am learning something new and getting paid for it. Couldn't ask for a better job!! Paid to learn. Gotta love it!!!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, for the JCL lovers of the world, no problems. I happen to use OpenVMS DCL, which is as close to an ideal control language as I've ever used. But as the French would say, chacun a son gu. (If you spell it gout, I understand, but I'm using Cajun French here...)

selenau837

Local time
Ok, guys, well as you can tell i no long have internet access at work. :( I miss you all greatly.

I'm doing well, I've been on the floor for over 30 days now, doing great. They are keeping me busy. Also, I Dec I'll be on the Help Desk..so when problem logs come in and/or stuff ABEND, i'll be responsilble for figuring it out and fixing it or delegating it to someone else to be fixed.....Heheh...I wasn't expecting that this soon...but i guess they figure I can do it.

Well, I've got more GREAT news..but can't say right now.......i'll tell you all when I'm at liberty to tell....but you will all be VERY happy for me. B/c I know I'm on cloud nine...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
selenau837 said:
Well, I've got more GREAT news..but can't say right now.......i'll tell you all when I'm at liberty to tell....but you will all be VERY happy for me. B/c I know I'm on cloud nine...

If my memory serves me right then I'll guess at a new man in your life, if I'm mixing you up with somebody else then when's it due :D

Brian

PS It could be both;)

selenau837

Local time
Brianwarnock said:
If my memory serves me right then I'll guess at a new man in your life, if I'm mixing you up with somebody else then when's it due :D

Brian

PS It could be both;)

It due??? Ohh no, I'm fixed...and I'm not tellin' yet....... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom