Useless Facts (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 08:01
Oh, so perhaps I won't bore you if I offer this one?

The word Grammar is derived from Gramacia. In ancient Hebrew scripts (the Torah, and the Kaballah) letters of the alphabet were believed to correspond with numbers. In order to have a prayer (or spell) work properly it was necessary to ensure the number of your sentence corresponded with the outcome of your request (grammatically correct). For this reason the “spelling” was crucial. So the witches “spell” was born.

And another

The word Occult originally meant "hidden".

Okay, that's much more useless. Thanks for your contribution. ;)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 13:01
Glad to be of service. This is kind of like Steve Wright's Factoids. (more useless information) :D

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 07:01
For those of you who are guitar players, did you know that you can get a false harmonic on the 9th fret?

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 05:01
did you know that a pound of feathers weights more than a pound of gold.

why................

a pound of feather is 16 oz where as a pound of gold is only 12oz

what gives ?

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
did you know that a pound of feathers weights more than a pound of gold.

why................

a pound of feather is 16 oz where as a pound of gold is only 12oz

what gives ?

Not a true lb then?

GaryPanic

Local time
Not a true lb then?

yes its a true pound

ask for a pound of gold and it will be 12oz's and about half a years salary
ask for a pound of feather and its a pillow and weights 16 oz's

both are true pounds

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
yes its a true pound

ask for a pound of gold and it will be 12oz's and about half a years salary
ask for a pound of feather and its a pillow and weights 16 oz's

both are true pounds

Technically speaking I suppose, for industry purposes maybe, but a pound by definition is 16 oz. At least that's what I was always taught. :) Similar to a dozen or a baker's dozen I expect.

GaryPanic

Local time
Technically speaking I suppose, for industry purposes maybe, but a pound by definition is 16 oz. At least that's what I was always taught. :) Similar to a dozen or a baker's dozen I expect.

yeap

bakers dozen - history the weights and measures department could fine you quite heavely in the olden days and bread rolls are pretty hard to weight - so the baker woudl add another roll to 12 to ensure that they did not fall foul of the weights and measures --
it was even worse with a beer - too big a head on the beer and there would be riots ..

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
yeap

bakers dozen - history the weights and measures department could fine you quite heavely in the olden days and bread rolls are pretty hard to weight - so the baker woudl add another roll to 12 to ensure that they did not fall foul of the weights and measures --
it was even worse with a beer - too big a head on the beer and there would be riots ..

I never knew that about the baker's dozen, or the beer, or the gold for that matter.... I'll have to remember this 12 oz. thing when someone on tv is trying to sell me a "lb" of gold.....

Vassago

Local time
Gold is typically weighed in Troy lbs, rather than the traditional lb. A Troy lb is less than a traditional lb. It really depends on who is weighing it, what unit of measurement they use though.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Gold is typically weighed in Troy lbs, rather than the traditional lb. A Troy lb is less than a traditional lb. It really depends on who is weighing it, what unit of measurement they use though.

I will add that to my questioning of the gold seller on TV. I am a sucker for those tv adds (hmmm, huh, cough, cough, not really:p) Wasn't Troy the group that created the Trojan Horse? I wonder if that little Greek episode has anything to do with a Troy lb being less than the traditional, or if it is only a matter of regions.

GaryPanic

Local time
you are missing the important one -- too big a head on the beer - bloody riots in the UK for this

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
you are missing the important one -- too big a head on the beer - bloody riots in the UK for this

I hate beer! I prefer White Russians, or anything with vodka....

GaryPanic

Local time
I hate beer! I prefer White Russians, or anything with vodka....

Aah the falling over juice

VAT - vodka and tonic

Stones and lemonade - a easy drink

then there sounthern comfort -and coke (need the coke otherwise its too sweet for me)
JD is real fall over juice

and for a real mind bender (haven't done this for well at least 25 years ) pernod or ouzo (typo) you lose whole days drink this stuff ...

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:01
did we see an answer on the pomegranates at the top of the thread

religious relevance and all that

probably to do with the large number of seeds in a pomegranate

Vassago

Local time
Aah the falling over juice

VAT - vodka and tonic

Stones and lemonade - a easy drink

then there sounthern comfort -and coke (need the coke otherwise its too sweet for me)
JD is real fall over juice

and for a real mind bender (haven't done this for well at least 25 years ) pernod or ouzo (typo) you lose whole days drink this stuff ...

I'm a fan of SoCo, that's for sure. It is very sweet straight though, so a mixer is a must. Ouzo... ouch... might as well go straight for Absinthe instead, wish it was legal in the US. We get Absinth or Absinte, a cheap knockoff without the thujone. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom