When converting from 2000 to 2010 (1 Viewer)

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Today, 13:27
I guess it's time to get with the times here. I have been using an Access 2000 DB for many years and the owner of the company wants to upgrade to 2010.

Is it correct that I can run it as is (MDB) in Access 2010 without a problem or would it be advisable to convert it to ACCDB? This DB has a front end and back end.

I am using Stephen Lebans ReportToPDF module and I understand that will not be compatible with 2010 but it has its own PDF converter, so do I need ACCDB in order to use that functionality?

Thanks for the help.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:27
main issues will be with references in the vba code - if the mdb refers to earlier versions of word/excel/outlook etc then you will need to update to the latest versions - this is called early binding. If you are using late binding then this will not be an issue.

The other thing to watch out for is which version of office is installed - 32bit or 64bit. If 64bit and you use API's then these will need to be updated as well - google 'ptrsafe' to find out more.

Finally, the other changes is shortcut menus, if you are using them, they will continue to work if you run a mdb under 2010 but if you upgrade to 2010 they will cease to work.

Re pdf, yes this is now built in to access so you may need to make changes there as well

Recommend you continue to run as mdb under 2010 and upgrade a copy first and recompile the code and see how you get on.

Also recommend you stick to 32bit Access rather than going to 64bit. There are no real benefits (for Access, primary beneficiary is Excel) and there are
potential issues with 64bit

This link advises the main changes between versions

http://www.opengatesw.net/ms-access-tutorials/Microsoft-Access-Version-Comparison.htm

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Today, 13:27
Thanks for the info. It's good to know what I am facing by making the change. I have been meaning to change all of my code to late binding because I have had issues in the past with missing references. Just haven't gotten around to it yet but now is a good time.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:27
I tend to use early binding when developing, just to make use of the intellisense then comment out the early binding code and convert to latebinding before deployment. Easy to go back to modify later

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom