Where do you draw the line? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:06
I think my decision to start this thread is based on a smorgasbord of things. At a later date, I might post a thread about one of the things that prompted me to start this topic. It's not based specifically on you Adam, although perhaps you might compose a small part of the reason.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 07:06
It's not based specifically on you Adam, although perhaps you might compose a small part of the reason.
yeah well....because of my supposed "youth", I might sometimes push this little boundary of yours. But I have to you Jon, and everyone else reading this, the one great thing about the job that I do is that I'll never run into political uncertainty or be worried about losing my job because my employers do nothing but complain all day long *truthffully* (whereas in corps you look at fake smiles all day long), until of course I give them an appropriate solution to solve their problem. and what goes along with that is my free reign to have quite a bit of fun, cuss at work if something makes no sense and software developers are doing mindless things, and quite a few other things. and sometimes that's probably reflected here on this board as well.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Let me ask you Adam, where do you think we should draw the line on this forum? What is your perspective? If you were me, what would your policy be?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Let me ask you Adam, where do you think we should draw the line on this forum? What is your perspective? If you were me, what would your policy be?
oh he$$ Jon, I'm such an easy going guy that my policy would probably be *way* different than one you would find appropriate. but if I looked at whole thing from a business person's perspective, like you, since you are a business person, I would say that "drawing the line" in terms of what's acceptable and what isn't might happen at any one of these points...

=> excessive use of profanity outside the watercooler
=> any posts relating to proposed romantic encounters betwween 2 people
=> posts that demean other people and put them down/criticize them, but only those that are seriously obvious and outside the watercooler only

that's about all I have, sir. one thing that is NOT inappropriate, and something that I get plenty of heat around here for, are posts like this one by me where I'm simply having fun / relating to a new member. but that's a classic case I've seen many times in this business Jon.....where another engineer (usually very talented) takes things *way* too seriously and ends up confusing the living the he$$ out of everyone because they've got so much of an "everything must be perfect / everyone must get along" attitude, it stifles the ability of different people, from different cultures, to explore one another and learn from each other. In this particular case, I'm speaking of situations I've seen in countless number of employers where people who write software or work in IT are in their own little world and refuse to expand out of their "shell" of "security" and the "way to do things". But that *IS* actually changing, you know? Have you seen this article in the news that appeared recently?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...ence-is-one-of-the-fastest-growing-job-skills

and NO, I'm not picking on Colin specifically in this post, although he has become a key figure in the referenced thread above because he says that he'll be collaborating with the other mods about me, and probably Richard too. Maybe regarded who started what? I don't care really. But Richard and I should not be talking about our usual stuff in an intro thread from someone else, obviously. So that's on both of us.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
For the record, I didn't mention you when I closed the other thread. This is what I wrote
On behalf of the forum, I would like to apologise to the OP.
You are very welcome here and I'm sorry your thread has led to so much vitriol.

This thread has strayed far from a simple introduction and many of the responses have been totally inappropriate.
I am therefore closing the thread and will be discussing with other mods whether some posts should be deleted and what other action may be required

You were one of several people whose comments in that thread were totally inappropriate.
Jon has now deleted the vast majority of posts and reopened the thread which I'm happy about.

Good article about emotional intelligence. You should take on board all 7 points it lists

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, I call you down because despite your claim that things are changing, the definition of right vs. wrong doesn't change according to you. You have a reference book on right vs. wrong that hasn't changed in centuries. It is time you stopped to think about what you are doing and start applying what you supposedly learned from that book.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
It is time you stopped to think about what you are doing and start applying what you supposedly learned from that book.
I'm done talking about this, Richard. the horse is dead between you and I.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:06
I figured it was a deeper exercise not directed at any one person. Similar to the direction NG was going.

BTW nice avatar NG.
Spot on, and that's me and the wife, Melissa, out on the town in Rome. Man my life sucks! ;)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
have you guys noticed this too? I make this mistake on rare ocassions and I see a lot of other people do it all day long, every day. this isn't the only word that internet folks make mistakes on. is this a consquence of the internet causing a decrease in vocabulary education?
Your a lucky man NG!
NO. YES:
You're a lucky man NG![
there are plenty others, like:
there all like me
NO. YES:
they're all like me:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, this isn't like Yahoo!Answers where everyone is cutthroat and pounces on every farshimmelt little mistake. (It's a Yiddish word with about a dozen variant spellings, literally meaning moldy/rotten but figuratively used to mean confused.) Your claim you want to "have fun" and "be light-hearted" but here you are being the grammar police. This is very insulting to members who worry more about content than form. We have mostly stopped calling YOU down for using text-speak abbreviations. You want some slack? Cut some slack.

Just an observation. Have fun with it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Another observation: Sometimes your jokes are hard to detect. Just sayin'

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
It drives me nuts when my youngest (he's no kid anymore) says "I don't got..." or the grand kids are like, you know, like every other word is like, like. What some might see as an evolution of language I see as degradation of civilized speech. Don't get me wrong; if English is not your native tongue then whatever you speak fluently, your English is better than my version of whatever comes natural to you. But for God's sake, if you were educated in English can you not tell the difference between
then and than
your and you're
break and brake
lose and loose
losing and loosing
vice and vise
advise and advice
and so on....
In parts of this country, they don't even teach cursive writing anymore. What the !#@^ are you supposed to put on an application, your printed name? An X? Are we going to grammar hell in a hand basket because educators think this is all progressive? If you think not, then consider this. Believe it or not, one of my sons showed a younger person at work a note written in cursive. That person could not read it!!!
Thank you for the loan of the soap box (too bad, it seems we lost the soap box smiley - this bar of soap will have to do) 🧼

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We are teaching my 13-year-old grandson cursive writing so that he can sign his name to a check. I sometimes see what people use for the written word and find only despair. I'm no saint in any of that, but I learned how to write technical documents a long time ago. I also learned enough about public speaking that I can teach a class with minimal attention to noise-words such as "Er" and "Ah" and "You know" and "OK" - words that are the verbal equivalent of a DoEvents so your brain can catch up to where it needs to be.

But then, when the company sent me out for a dog-and-pony show, I never resorted to Budweiser commercials.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Another observation: Sometimes your jokes are hard to detect. Just sayin'
so are yours! so hey.....maybe we do actually have more things in common than either of realize, huh? but then there's always the others around here that *never* seem to joke at all. dare I say their names? lol....oh wait, no I shouldn't say that, otherwise I would be "name dropping". :p (I'm sure if he's reading this, he'll know who I mean!)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
We are teaching my 13-year-old grandson cursive writing so that he can sign his name to a check. <clip>
So, that made me smile. I have not written a check in years. I'm sure I know where those things are. :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Gina, some credit cards still ask for a signature now and then, and contracts CERTAINLY require signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom