Where do you draw the line? (1 Viewer)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:47
Hmm, trick question... Not sure if *I draw a line* or *just get irritated* when I see threads get hijacked and go off topic. When someone posts a question they deserve to have it answered without digression that tends to go way off topic. I think this puts people off from returning. It also makes it harder to know which one of those posts contains the actual answer.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 00:47
your and you're
break and brake
lose and loose
losing and loosing
vice and vise
advise and advice
and so on....
hey man! give those people a break! grammar goes out the window as technology creeps in. and it'll get worse as time goes on, too, no doubt. from this list Micron, the only one I've ever seen get confused is #1:
your and you're

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Gina, some credit cards still ask for a signature now and then, and contracts CERTAINLY require signatures.
won't they ALWAYS, Richard? without a signature, no court has can be initiated.
True, I was just thinking of checks and made me smile.
governmental medical organizations still require checks to be sent through snail mail. they will probably require that crap for quite some time, as the gov. is overly-paranoid about anything electronic.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:47
as a Czech I would perhaps be upset by being compared with a bit of paper?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In the news tonight, I heard the schools are going to START to teach young kids 'cursive writing' and 'basic financial literacy'. Interesting ... back to basics???

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
In the news tonight, I heard the schools are going to START to teach young kids 'cursive writing' and 'basic financial literacy'. Interesting ... back to basics???
hey that's awesome! let us inject some common freakin sense into this technological nightmare. :p

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:47
I get that "your and you're" triggers the grammar squad, it's like a primal reaction they can't help themselves. It's almost like they have to make the correction or else it eats at them in the worse way. What about "to and too" or a small "i" when referring to yourself, that must not invoke the same internal conflicts that "your and you're" does.

It's really no wonder that big pharma does so well worldwide.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

Both of those essential life skills have always been part of the UK National Curriculum

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The one that always got me was a class that, in my junior high days (middle school in modern terms, about 7th-year to 9th year for our UK friends), we a class called "Civics" which was a one-semester (half-year for the UK friends) class on the workings of our government. I don't recall when, but I have heard that many schools no longer teach that subject. I hope some still do, but to me it is abysmal to skimp on such an important topic.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
They were part of Canadian (Ontario at least) curriculum as well.... until a few years ago. My grandkids have to be shown/tutored cursive now.
There was a "routine I saw a few years back" where some students in US were paired up to raise an "egg" as a life skill activity. The "egg"(simulated child) had to be cared for --not dropped or broken/frozen etc, and they had a "virtual home account for salary, rent etc." And like Monopoly, there were "conditions/penalties/get out of jail/salary" type cards where groups had to a card and react to the info on the card --buy groceries, pay a bill etc - and deal with the finances, adjust priorities... I thought it was a great concept and learning exercise, but have heard nothing more about it again. Probably too close to common sense, and certainly a side issue to any iphone/tablet etc. today.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
They were part of Canadian (Ontario at least) curriculum as well.... until a few years ago. My grandkids have to be shown/tutored cursive now.
There was a "routine I saw a few years back" where some students in US were paired up to raise an "egg" as a life skill activity. The "egg"(simulated child) had to be cared for --not dropped or broken/frozen etc, and they had a "virtual home account for salary, rent etc." And like Monopoly, there were "conditions/penalties/get out of jail/salary" type cards where groups had to a card and react to the info on the card --buy groceries, pay a bill etc - and deal with the finances, adjust priorities... I thought it was a great concept and learning exercise, but have heard nothing more about it again. Probably too close to common sense, and certainly a side issue to any iphone/tablet etc. today.

Sounds like the Tamagotchi craze that obsessed my daughter in the mid 90s. That was an electronic virtual 'child'.
In Child Development classes, students are given a programmed 'robot baby' to take home and care for over the weekend.
Those could be set to various modes from Easy to Normal to Absolute Hell.
The last of those was suitable revenge on any student who was a pain as well as the most effective way of reducing teenage pregnancy rates....

Civics migrated into Citizenship in the UK

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
In Child Development classes, students are given a programmed 'robot baby' to take home and care for over the weekend.
there are college courses here in America that do that same thing for women who want to be mothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom