Why The Gun Is Civilization (2 Viewers)

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
Today, 09:43
China won't lob nuclear missiles, they're too clever for that. It's only the Yanks that do stupid things like that.

China will infiltrate via the business routes and will gradually take over that way.
We all know that Bush is scared stiff of upsetting big business bosses, hence the non-interest in climate change in the USA. (the USA being the worlds worst polluter and they're darn proud of it:rolleyes:)
The time will come when the USA's big bosses will be slitty eyed and will all be meeting in the local chinky and not the local hamburger stand.

Col

Are you sure of that?
See this http://carma.org/ and follow the RED DOTS.

http://carma.org/region

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 15:43
An article in The Guardian Unlimited points out that China is one of the world’s largest producers of CO2, the top position being held by the U.S.

Quoted directly from your link. I might not approve of Col's US bashing but if you are going to take him on don't load his gun.

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 10:43
Quoted directly from your link. I might not approve of Col's US bashing but if you are going to take him on don't load his gun.

Brian

The site suspect - I didn't know large serine green hayfields produces co2. That's where one of the Ga sites zooms into in satellite view :rolleyes:

KenHigg

Local time
Speaking of guns, here is a nice 8 point my friend shot over the weekend:

>Never mind<

Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
I just thought it was a nice deer. And this is a 'gun' thread...

Do ya'll have whitetail in Oklahoma?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:43

Can't move for them where I'm at.

We have a pond out the back and my dog will sit and stare at it for hours waiting for a thirsty deer to chase :p

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time

Yes, we do. I'm not much of a hunter, but we do usually get some venison from my f-i-l once a year or so. I've never much cared for the taste, too gamey, but it can be good when cooked right.

Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
Yes, we do. I'm not much of a hunter, but we do usually get some venison from my f-i-l once a year or so. I've never much cared for the taste, too gamey, but it can be good when cooked right.

I just thought posting a picture of someone standing over the carcass of a dead animal might have been a poke at some of those who are against hunting to try to get them stirred up. My apologies if it wasn't. :cool:

I was just trying to rattle Col's cage... Been around those types pics so long I guess I forget they may be in appropriate for general consumption...

Last edited:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I was just trying to rattle Col's gage... Been around those types pics so long I guess I forget they may be in appropriate for general consumption...

:D I see. Well, no problems here. I thought you might just be trying to stir the pot...

KenHigg

Local time
:D I see. Well, no problems here. I thought you might just be trying to stir the pot...

I'm guessing Bass Pro won't be looking to expand into the UK huh?

I'm bewildered as to why hunting food for sport is a moral dilemma for some.

But I guess I understand how some wonder how I have no moral problem killing an animal...

What do ya do :eek:

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I'm bewildered as to why hunting food for sport is a moral dilemma for some.
You've been in 'discussion' with certain people on this forum for too long, my friend. You've picked up the habit of writing along the lines of 'I can't understand why.... followed by a controversial statement' thing. :)

For myself, I see food and sport as separate entities.

If someone is hunting and killing something because it's the only way they can eat, fine. It's them or the animal. There is no question of whether it's sporting or not, we're talking about survival, so anything goes.

If someone is killing it because they're minding their own business and the animals about to attack them, okay. Once again, we're talking survival.

If someone is killing something that's done them no harm and presented no threat to them purely because they want to show off by, let's say - using a totally random example - posing for a picture with it after it's dead and sending it to their friends, then I think they need help.

For all the talk about 'sport', what it boils down to is that some people get a kick out of killing something without putting themselves at risk. If they wanted the risk, they could hunt the animal bare-handed. If they just wanted to shoot, there are targets. If they just wanted to track, they could do so without a gun. If they desperately need to feel a gun in their hand and to use live targets, they could fire tranqs and release the animal later on. They need to kill something that can't fight back. As far as 'sport' goes, it's the equivalent of practising your fighting skills by hitting kids.

KenHigg

Local time
As far as 'sport' goes, it's the equivalent of practising your fighting skills by hitting kids.

You opinions seemed reasonable 'till this part... :rolleyes:

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
You opinions seemed reasonable 'till this part... :rolleyes:
Perhaps an overreaction :), but it's an emotive topic. No offence meant.

Curiosity: Which part of it would you rate as 'sporting'? Skillful, arguably, but so are target shooting and tracking animals.
According to Wikipedia
"...Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing)...."
How do you 'lose' at killing an animal? Unless there is a chance that the animal could somehow kill you, I don't see the sporting aspect.

KenHigg

Local time
If the animal gets away it wins. ;)

Have you ever been hunting?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
If the animal gets away it wins. ;)
Not if it doesn't know it's playing :D

Have you ever been hunting?
Nope. Never had the opportunity, but almost certainly wouldn't go.
Genuinely don't like the idea of killing anything for the fun of it.
I would have no problem killing something if I had a reason to - I do eat meat, so I'm not a hypocrite in that respect - but doing it just for the hell of it? Not for me.

KenHigg

Local time
Not if it doesn't know it's playing :D

Now that's funny :)

Nope. Never had the opportunity, but almost certainly wouldn't go.
Genuinely don't like the idea of killing anything for the fun of it.
I would have no problem killing something if I had a reason to - I do eat meat, so I'm not a hypocrite in that respect - but doing it just for the hell of it? Not for me.

That's cool. I'd probably be the same if I hadn't grown up around it.

FYI - In the context of our sporting/win/loose discussion, it may be of some consolation to know that I 'loose' much more that I win. Out of the hundreds of hours I spent in a freezing cold tree stand last year I didn't shoot anything as those sneaky little deer can literally walk right under a person in a tree stand and you never even know it. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom