Yet another thread deleted? No reasons? (1 Viewer)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 21:02
Now who's inflaming the situation. We don't attack people, we just report the facts, obviously it is at odds with your censored TV but that's too bad.

Col

THat's Bollocks and you know it- we are just as censored as our Yank cousins ...just in different ways - the Goverment here surpresses (?) information all the time - if you live in the UK then the newspapers/news can be effected by the goveremnt of the day - the Yanks however don't get censored by the UK goveremnt and visa versa - we can report on items that the US goverment surpressses

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 05:02
If there is such a huge quantity of reports to prevent this then either there are not enough mods or there are boundries being crossed too often.

Or people like you are too sensitive and you just report any post that disagrees with your opinion.

BTW - still waiting for my questions to be answered. Shall I repost them again for you?
Oh, and I'm happy to answer your question(s) if you repost them as I missed them first time round - I seldom spend time reading your posts, I just scan them as they're hardly worth reading. It's not very often you have anything interesting to say.

Col

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 00:02
Now who's inflaming the situation. We don't attack people, we just report the facts, obviously it is at odds with your censored TV but that's too bad.

Col

The humor in dealing with you is your self delusion. I have decided that you are indeed mentally ill and it is my mission to cure you.

So settle in for a long ride.

Americans are always looking for under privileged folks that need a helping hand. It’s our duty, and since we are obviously the most qualified, we will always be there for you, Col.
It makes me feel so good to be able to help. All this time you have been crying out for help, and I just missed it.
Col, I’m so sorry, I won’t neglect you again.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
That's fair enough. It would have been easy to clean up except the same people who report posts as offensive, end up responding to those posts and continuing the discussion. How about, if you report a post, don't respond! I would think this to be common sense.

Replying to a reported post is a little hypocritical, don't you think?

I have never reported a post. I think if I did I would reply to the thread atleast one more time to inform the poster that I had reported him and why.
This gives the poster an opportunity to reflect on his posting and maybe withdraw his comments with an apology.

Brian

Adam Caramon

Local time
This gives the poster an opportunity to reflect on his posting and maybe withdraw his comments with an apology.

As a former moderator on a few sites, let me respond with a hearty "ha ha ha". This is the internet, where everyone is an expert in every field, no one is ever wrong, and a person's gender is always a mystery.

I will second the whole lock post/explanation rationale though. The objective to locking a thread should be to explain to the posters that content of the thread was not acceptable. Leaving people to guess why a thread was locked (or simply deleting it) is a bad idea.

Also, Vassago, as a moderator you should be above the petty squabbling of the posters. If someone reports a post, you should keep that confidential regardless of how they act afterwards (replying to the reported post). It weakens the reporting system if people can't trust that their report will remain confidential.

Being a moderator is often a thankless job. You won't ever do anything right, according to some posters, and you will assuredly do many things wrong, according to some posters. But lowering yourself to their level is not the solution.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:02
Why not just have a note for the Watercooler and Political Forums along the lines of:

If you can be offended by forum postings do not enter these forums.

The other way is the member can only enter with a password which he requests.

It absolutely baffles me how anyone can report a thread, especially from the Political forum.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Why not just have a note for the Watercooler and Political Forums along the lines of:

If you can be offended by forum postings do not enter these forums.

The other way is the member can only enter with a password which he requests.

It absolutely baffles me how anyone can report a thread, especially from the Political forum.
Cheer up, Mike. Happy Oz day.:)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
. If someone reports a post, you should keep that confidential regardless of how they act afterwards (replying to the reported post). It weakens the reporting system if people can't trust that their report will remain confidential.

Anybody who cannot be open about reporting somebody else is too inadequate to be listened to.

Brian

Adam Caramon

Local time
Anybody who cannot be open about reporting somebody else is too inadequate to be listened to.

To each his own. I know that if someone said "Hey Adam, I reported you because you did blah blah blah." I would take it as them trying to act like a moderator; antagonistic in the very least.

If people are announcing that they are reporting one another, it inevitably turns into a tit-for-tat situation where reports are flying back and forth due to perceived rule-breaking.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I have never reported a post. I think if I did I would reply to the thread atleast one more time to inform the poster that I had reported him and why.

Brian

My reply here was directed at Fifty. Sorry if you misunderstood. :)

Replying is fine, but doing so with a quote is a headache for mods who are intending on removing the post that is quoted.

Vassago

Local time
As a former moderator on a few sites, let me respond with a hearty "ha ha ha". This is the internet, where everyone is an expert in every field, no one is ever wrong, and a person's gender is always a mystery.

I will second the whole lock post/explanation rationale though. The objective to locking a thread should be to explain to the posters that content of the thread was not acceptable. Leaving people to guess why a thread was locked (or simply deleting it) is a bad idea.

Also, Vassago, as a moderator you should be above the petty squabbling of the posters. If someone reports a post, you should keep that confidential regardless of how they act afterwards (replying to the reported post). It weakens the reporting system if people can't trust that their report will remain confidential.

Being a moderator is often a thankless job. You won't ever do anything right, according to some posters, and you will assuredly do many things wrong, according to some posters. But lowering yourself to their level is not the solution.

I'm a mod, and have been, on many forums. I keep reported posts confidential, of course. I also send PMs to those who report posts and who was reported. It was the poster I was responding to that did not

Obviously you have no idea what the situation is pertaining to, so kindly keep out of it.

Adam Caramon

Local time
I'm a mod, and have been, on many forums.

I find that hard to believe. Labeling yourself as "Super Moderator" and coupled with your attitude towards posters and your actions thus far speaks to a level of inexperience.

I keep reported posts confidential, of course.

I refer you to post #56.

Obviously you have no idea what the situation is pertaining to, so kindly keep out of it.

This is an example of an action I'm speaking of. Is this called for? You could have easily PMed this to me if you really thought it important. But you seem to want to make sure everyone knows you're a moderator.

Vassago

Local time
I find that hard to believe. Labeling yourself as "Super Moderator" and coupled with your attitude towards posters and your actions thus far speaks to a level of inexperience.

That's your opinion. You're entitled to it.

I refer you to post #56.

I see no where in that post where I pointed out a post that was reported. I responded to a member publicly complaining about reporting a post and the actions taken by a moderator. He brought it up, not I.

This is an example of an action I'm speaking of. Is this called for? You could have easily PMed this to me if you really thought it important. But you seem to want to make sure everyone knows you're a moderator.

That's again, your opinion. I wasn't treating your post as something needing moderating attention. If it was, then I would have PMed my concerns.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 21:02
Do not mention a standard you do not keep. So where is the one PM you did not send me for the one report you somehow discovered over time? Also very nice to tell someone with suggestions of how to improve a situation to "keep out of it".
But there you go, you have answered the question of the whiney person who initiated this thread. Again another lie from either one or the other of you seeing as you send a PM to reported posts... or did he not receive his PM also?

I'm a mod, and have been, on many forums. I keep reported posts confidential, of course. I also send PMs to those who report posts and who was reported. It was the poster I was responding to that did not

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
LOL, I would believe you except some people seem to take so much way too personal on this forum. This is what turns into personal attacks and reported posts.
Well ONE or two maybe have their pride injured

I'm reminded here of a child at school going off to his teacher complaining that the other children don't like him, won't play with him etc., when said teacher tells him to go away and play nicely with the others he goes off to the head and accuses said teacher of having a class full of favourites and complaining that he's not one of them, must be something to do with a class made up of totally different cultures. Still as they say, you can please some of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time

Vassago

Local time
Well ONE or two maybe have their pride injured

I'm reminded here of a child at school going off to his teacher complaining that the other children don't like him, won't play with him etc., when said teacher tells him to go away and play nicely with the others he goes off to the head and accuses said teacher of having a class full of favourites and complaining that he's not one of them, must be something to do with a class made up of totally different cultures. Still as they say, you can please some of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time

So true. :)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I have decided that you are indeed mentally ill and it is my mission to cure you.

You have decided have you?

May I ask your qualifications which enabled you to reach this remote diagnosis?

I asked the same thing of BobbyBabe - in fact I still do but he's ignoring me. I wonder if you will answer.

Still, thinking about it, most Yanks go to a shrink, so I suppose they are far superior in mental illness than the rest of us.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I still don't think we have the reasons yet why the other thread was deleted.

Nor do we have the reasons why no notification was given.

Nor do we have the reason the thread was deleted and not just simply locked with a note from the teacher.

Oh and incidentally, I reported a post on the missing thread but got no response from any mod.

Col

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
You have decided have you?

May I ask your qualifications which enabled you to reach this remote diagnosis?

I asked the same thing of BobbyBabe - in fact I still do but he's ignoring me. I wonder if you will answer.

Still, thinking about it, most Yanks go to a shrink, so I suppose they are far superior in mental illness than the rest of us.

Col

LOL it was an attempt at humor Col. Actually I'm a Texan, most of us don't really need shrinks. We just make a bowl of whatever kind of local fair, have a beer, and find a pretty woman.

Who needs a shrink?

Lately I have been under a lot of pain; it’s made me a little cranky.

I know you’re not a psycho brother.

I wish you would find something pleasant to say though.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
LOL it was an attempt at humor Col. Actually I'm a Texan, most of us don't really need shrinks. We just make a bowl of whatever kind of local fair, have a beer, and find a pretty woman.

And elect the Bush family members

Lately I have been under a lot of pain; it’s made me a little cranky.
Learn to live with it, others manage

I wish you would find something pleasant to say though

Good morning, Jen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom