Our new home - post your opinions here (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 06:15
MajP has been banned for 7 days for being persistently rude to the site owner. I've been polite, but clearly he does not like it when proved factually wrong.

It seems here's a bit different than the previous one.
Nothing shows someone is banned.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Gasman They will need to learn, but it is quite easy.

@Tera I am still learning the ropes myself.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:15
Hmm, well I can't find the two posts I got eMails for as those links don't work. So, I'll have to go hunting for them because oddly enough also not showing under my watched threads. Other than that it's growing on me.

Dreamweaver

Local time
To be honest I thought the old forum looked dated I joined back in 2003 ish this is a real pleasure to use and very simple to use.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks @MickJav. It was dated. I just hope Google likes us and doesn't hammer our traffic.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@Micron I'm sorry. I added you to my ignore list. It's just a test to see the effects.
In case you receive a message being ignored, don't mind it please.

Test is over.
When I ignore someone, all of his posts are hidden.
Thanks @Micron
In fact it does not even tell you who it is you have ignored. The old site gave you that info. In fact I cannot even see the posts for that individual. :)
One can however include ignored posts as well, so best of both worlds.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Doesn't google hve a tool for testing your sites rating I seem to remmeber reading something about it a while back??

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
They have all sorts of tools, which I use regularly. However, they do not release their ranking criteria, so it prevents people from reengineering their ranking algorithm.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Search for 'transferspreadsheet vba access 2007' gets us as 4th?

deletedT

Local time
In fact it does not even tell you who it is you have ignored. The old site gave you that info. In fact I cannot even see the posts for that individual. :)
One can however include ignored posts as well, so best of both worlds.

While I was ignoring @Micron, I couldn't see his posts. But when I clicked his name in a post that he was mentioned, I was able to see his profile and un-ignore him.

deletedT

Local time
@Jon When I search google for Microsoft Access Forum AWF is the first one to appear.

Dreamweaver

Local time
This sites been here so long I don't think you need worry as long as the meta tages are good for this forum as the last all should be good

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I spoke to one site owner who had a board with 15M posts. He lost 70% of his traffic one month after switching platforms. Others have lost traffic too. It seems like there is no guarantee in any of it. However, I do believe that the features here will probably increase engagement and activity on the site. That would increase the sites fresh content, encourage people to come back and hopefully get some Google love.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Can videos be posted and viewed in topics think that was brought up before??

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Not exactly.

While I was ignoring @Micron, I couldn't see his posts. But when I clicked his name in a post that he was mentioned, I was able to see his profile and un-ignore him.
Yes, but on the old site, your could see the sidebar of posts of the ignored and who it was, just not the posts themselves. You could see the posts started by that individual. That allowed you to see the posts of others that made replies that you might be interested in. Here you see nothing of the thread whatsoever as far as I can see. Not a criticism, merely an observation.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@MickJav Yes

Hope you guys like the new logo. I had to cobble something together!

Dreamweaver

Local time
Sorry Jon it looks a bit bland but I'm sure you'll sort something better when you can or I'll get used to it.

mick

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I like the look of it. However, I have considered adding skins so you can theme the site to an alternative. e.g. dark mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom