Our Next president Barack Obama or John McCain (3 Viewers)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 23:44
George spelt out what I was hinting at, just because somebody enters your country it doesn't mean they like you.

Brian

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:44
What I can't understand IF we are the most hated country, then why Based on the national census in 2000, the US Census Bureau puts the estimate of illegal immigrants at 8.7 million. As of 2003, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services put the number at 7 million. Since then, United States immigration officials have said the number has grown by as much as 500,000 a year.

There is a myth held by many in third world countries that America is a wonderful place to live, where everyone is welcome and it is easy to become rich. Once they get here, they realize that America is not the land of milk and honey. Many get stuck in low paying jobs, saddled with debt, running the rat race just like most Americans. In addition, they have to deal with constant racism, discrimination, and police harrassment. Many leave once they have scraped together enough money to start a business back home, but many more just get stuck here without enough money to leave yet not enough money to eek out a decent existence here either.

There are others that don't believe America is all that great, but they come here anyway because there are simply no economic opportunities in their home countries. Think about it, if you knew of a country where you could get a job making 10 times what you make now, you might go, right? But that wouldn't mean that you didn't love your own country, or that you wouldn't prefer to go home again.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
There are others that don't believe America is all that great, but they come here anyway because there are simply no economic opportunities in their home countries.

They need to learn that the USA is the cause of the current worlds' economic problems - it all started with the collapse of the American sub-prime mortgage fiasco.

What do we have to thank the USA for? remind me, I can't think of anything at the moment.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Ah yes, music - The Fabulous Ronettes, The Supremes, The Beach Boys. . . . . the list is fairly long.

None however eclipse The Beatles:)

Col

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Ah yes, music - The Fabulous Ronettes, The Supremes, The Beach Boys. . . . . the list is fairly long.

None however eclipse The Beatles:)

Col

Who could eclipse The Beatles? Well, not from that side of the pond anyway, but from here, we still have The Stones; Led Zeppelin.

I had the privilage of seeing the stones back in 2000. They were amazing, made me wonder what they were like while they were alive lol.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
To be fair to America - they have been extremely consistent in producing excellent musicians / singers.

In the early days of pop, The Everly Brothers and Connie Francis ruled supreme.

The Beach Boys withstood the 'British Invasion' and there's no doubt Brian Wilson is a genius - listen to the arrangements on 'Good Vibrations' or 'God Only Knows' - even the surf music had excellent 4 part harmonies.

On a general scale, you'd go a long way to beat Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin or Tony Bennett or Roy Orbison (who had a 5 octave voice range). Middle of road music? think The Carpenters with Karens mystical voice.

But, there's only one king who will never be surpassed - Elvis of course.

Yes, America has done well in the music stakes - well done.

Col

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Who could eclipse The Beatles? Well, not from that side of the pond anyway, but from here, we still have The Stones; Led Zeppelin.

I had the privilage of seeing the stones back in 2000. They were amazing, made me wonder what they were like while they were alive lol.

I saw the Stones in 62 or 63 at the Climax Ballroom in Coventry when I was a schoolie in my first band. They had just brought out I wanna be your man. They were amazing then, far more exciting and musically competent than many bands of the time. The venue was basically the canteen for the Coventry Climax factory who made forklift trucks. I don't think they'd play there now......

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I saw the Stones in 64 or 65 , I was old compared to the majority of the audience and actually went as a chaperone to a couple of young teenagers whose parents wouldn't otherwise let go, I didn't mind as I liked the stones, whisper it I prefferred them to the Beatles!, but all i remember is being deafened by screaming teenage girls. :mad:

Brian

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
The venue was basically the canteen for the Coventry Climax factory who made forklift trucks. I don't think they'd play there now......

LOL, if they can't pack in thousands they're not interested any more. Hats off to Cold Play by the way.

My first concert was Genesis in 1971, Cameo Theatre, Edinburgh. Couldn't have been much more than 300 in the audience, they were murder. The crowd kept shouting for the backing band (Glencoe) to come back.

The 70s were great for that sort of thing. Teenagers could afford to go and see their favourite band, a rock concert at least once a month, and still afford to buy their records. Now it's only the elite that can afford to go :mad:

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:44
Brian i wouldnt worry the Stones were by far a much better band then the Beatles. The only good thing about the beatles was the progressive & influential steps they induced towards proper rock music. My main disposition for the beatles however is Ringo.. being a drummer he is laughably crap which makes me think that the beatles creative exploration was half of what it could have been with a decent drummer. Look at The Who, old Keith Moon added so much to that band, the same with Bonham in Led Zepplin.

As for Cold Play their new album is so rubbish its hilarious. It annoys me how a bands success is more influenced by Record Companies pouring money into promotions etc... rather than public concensus.

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
You're brave rsmonkey, as a fully paid up rock dinosaur I don't think I could bring myself to actually listen to a Coldplay cd, unless I'd already taken the overdose and slashed my wrists and I couldn't find anything by Dido.....

R

Rich

My main disposition for the beatles however is Ringo.. being a drummer he is laughably crap which makes me think that the beatles creative exploration was half of what it could have been with a decent drummer.

Zak's not bad though;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom