Thread disappeared - no notice 2 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 06:17
We have a lot of vinyl, reel to reel, cassette tapes, even a lot of 8tracks as well as DCs and just directly purchased digital.
Even though there are such great leaps in the technology of the recording arts, there is a certain tonal quality which the original recordings possess that have become part of the signature in our memories. Even some tunes from back in the day have a certain something with the pops and clicks of vintage vinyl or the hssssssss of a tape.

Alas, no (unless you count the CDs). I fear I've sold out to the technology monster.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:17
Only by you it seems. :rolleyes:

If you go back and check the Billboard listings in the early 60's, the Popular charts were filled with artists like Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and the like. The Beatles were listed on the Rock 'n Roll charts until about 1967. At that time the Rock 'n Roll chart was replaced by the Rock chart. Most of the Beatles post 67 songs were listed on both the Popular and the Rock charts (known in the business as "crossover").
I do agree that their later music (starting with the Rubber Soul album) did not fit into any easily recognized category.

I'm not American and thus don't use or need Billboard, this is taken from Yahoo answers:rolleyes:

The Beatles are classified as Britpop since that's what they were. The Kinks (among others) would also fall under that category as well. That's the beauty of Britpop. you don't need to separate it between new and old because it's timeless.

Rock and roll has and will be forever The Rolling Stones

Local time
Today, 08:17
What's wrong with the CDs?:confused:

Nothing. Just many people really appreciate the vinyl (as evidenced in post #162) and I never though of CDs as a high-fidelity format. Many of my most recent acquisitions were digital though I imagine I've owned just about everything I have now in one of many "hard" formats. I don't have any 8-tracks, reel-to-reel, or vinyl anymore and don't want to go through the effort of converting my cassettes to digital. All of my CDs are on my iPod.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Nothing. Just many people really appreciate the vinyl (as evidenced in post #162) and I never though of CDs as a high-fidelity format. Many of my most recent acquisitions were digital though I imagine I've owned just about everything I have now in one of many "hard" formats. I don't have any 8-tracks, reel-to-reel, or vinyl anymore and don't want to go through the effort of converting my cassettes to digital. All of my CDs are on my iPod.
I wouldn't argue with that except to wonder if it's worth the effort;)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 06:17
Our older format recordings are boxed up in the grainery of the barn. Many favourites have since been replaced by digital though we do have a couple we copied which bring back the old days of dances in high school gymnasiums. Those old slower songs do not raise the same emotions without the crackles and pops...

statsman

Local time
Today, 09:17
I'm not American and thus don't use or need Billboard, this is taken from Yahoo answers:rolleyes:

Rock and roll has and will be forever The Rolling Stones

I don't use Yahoo, Google or any of the error prone information websites.
My point that the EARLY Beatles were a rock 'n roll band is taken from how they were listed in the trade magazines and from the documentary film "The Compleat Beatles" and was stated in that film by John Lennon.
If you still wish to dispute it, I suggest you dig up Mr. Lennon and argue with him.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I don't use Yahoo, Google or any of the error prone information websites.
My point that the EARLY Beatles were a rock 'n roll band is taken from how they were listed in the trade magazines and from the documentary film "The Compleat Beatles" and was stated in that film by John Lennon.
If you still wish to dispute it, I suggest you dig up Mr. Lennon and argue with him.
and I don't rely on television for facts

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I have the correct answer from the horses mouth, with apologies to my wife. She used to dance to the Beatles in the Cavern where they were advertised as a Rock and Roll band.
End of argument.

Brian

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I have the correct answer from the horses mouth, with apologies to my wife. She used to dance to the Beatles in the Cavern where they were advertised as a Rock and Roll band.
End of argument.

Brian
That's before they became famous Brian:p
The argument continues, ps I don't see any mention of rock and roll here

Last edited:

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 09:17
End of argument.

Brian

Now see there?
Brian is a very wise man.
When his wife give him an answer, he takes it and questions no more.

:)

You boys should learn from him.

:D

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I fully agree with Brian : ;)

That's the title of one of their tracks Ron:p
actually I'm pretty sure that here eight days a week was the preferred track

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Lets face it none of the Beatles could convince Rich that they played rock and roll, when you know everything it must be a very frustrating life having to put up with us ignorant people.

Brian

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Lets face it none of the Beatles could convince Rich that they played rock and roll, when you know everything it must be a very frustrating life having to put up with us ignorant people.

Brian
And equally frustrating when the facts don't conform to your perceptions

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 15:17
That's the title of one of their tracks Ron:p

No it's definitely rock and roll :

Besides the fact that the Glimmer twins confirmed it :

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.