Absolut vodka (1 Viewer)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 03:09
Well, I buy absolut for my home, and order it specifically in bars.
However, after seeing this ad, I'm not a consumer anymore.
I have a drink or two left in the bottle I bought before I saw the ad..... and that will be my last. (Don't be RIDICULOUS I'm not pouring it down the DRAIN... I worked for it!)

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/articles/2008/04/08/1207420359230.html

I couldn't believe a company could expect to advertise such a political opinion, pitting one of their consumers against another, without losing one. I am certain they will do well in Mexico. However, they have taken quite a hit in the American market.

I may be naive, but I'm prone to think that Absolut may be cheaper in Mexico and, even if they increase their sales there, they may not offset the losses they will incur by offending some pretty loyal patrons here in North America.

And it absoLUTely makes me laugh... their response..... basically.... "Oh... the Americans weren't supposed to see that, yeah?"

Now, I know what American's reaction to this ad will be. But I figured... what the heck.... let's go ahead and take the pulse of the Watercooler and see if America is still the evil, despicable nation it was when I left a couple months ago.

Cheerio... have a go.
I'll check back when I'm not workin me arse off.

<<shakes head and shrugs>>

I'll start another thread to ask about your opinions of our national election....

Tess

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 08:09
I don't think America is an evil dispicable nation but it would seem they do need to cultivate the ability to laugh at themselves.

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:09
exactly right rabbie... and in any case your pleasure you seem to attain out of the consumption of absolute vodka should not be destroyed by a marketing ploy created by a few swedish marketing boffs.

In any case the ad was pulled and an apology released, so no harm no foul.. why do people find it so hard to accept apologies now days, a simple sorry just isnt enough!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
What was wrong with the truth, America stole those lands just like it stole the whole of its lands, this has happened all over the world since time began.
Does America like to rewrite history?

And as the other posters said America needs to lighten up on its past, or is it too ashamed of it?

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 03:09
This entire line of discussion worked exactly like the company wanted it to - It got you all talking about their product. They win.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
This entire line of discussion worked exactly like the company wanted it to - It got you all talking about their product. They win.

Talking about it and buying it are two different things. I'll stick to my malts thanks.

brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Tess
considering this statement

France's Pernod Ricard is taking over Absolut vodka, one of the world's top-selling spirit brands, after buying Vin & Spirit from the Swedish government at the end of March.

the stance taken by Americans seems even less reasonable.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I think Tess's reaction is typically American.

Why do Americans always get so touchy about things, then (usually) go and do the same? Anyway, most of America is stolen land.

Personally I drink any vodka - whatever is the cheapest in the supermarket, and at £11 ($20) a bottle it's not that cheap.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Free global media. They win. We've been manipulated yet again. :)

If it's cheap I'll buy it. I don't give a toss what make it is. It can be made by small children in a sweat shop for all I care.

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I don't drink vodka. It is a communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all our precious bodily fluids...

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I think you'd have to be pretty naive to accept this as truth.

"In no way was this meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues," a spokeswoman wrote on Absolut's website.

"Instead, it hearkens to a time which the population of Mexico may feel was more ideal," she wrote.

It's an obvious cynical ploy to tap into current political sentiment, which previous posts have demonstrated its success.

It's just an ad of nostalgia. Yeah right :rolleyes:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Their marketing vp should get a bonus...

for the original idea of tapping into US bashing. Not that he/she actually cares one way or the other. Just as long as the US doesn't find out. I wonder if the vp actually realised that half of Mexico spends their time in the US anyway. What a dumbass.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
for the original idea of tapping into US bashing. Not that he/she actually cares one way or the other. Just as long as the US doesn't find out. I wonder if the vp actually realised that half of Mexico spends their time in the US anyway. What a dumbass.
Why can't some americans get a sense of humour??:):)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, and the very start of the nation was originally stolen from the Native American Indians by the British (in case you have selective amnesia), French, and Spanish.

Don't worry. With the vastly superior sense of humor that the Brits possess. They should be able to laugh that one off. :p

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 00:09
I can see an advertising theme that will work very well in the vast majority of the world. May even gets the Islamic countries drinking too!:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom