Baby Euthanasia (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
Even when we are all agreeing with Rich he still looks for a fight. :(

Brian
I'm not looking for anything Brian, I just made a statement of fact!

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 01:31
on a religous angle - anything done with true compassion, God will forgive - he/she looks at the movite behind the act - their are grey area's in religion -
from my school days (junior school Cof E and secondard RC ) - God is meant to be greater than any man/woman theirfore their understanding and forgivness is also greater (probably leaning towards the Cof E side on this bit )
but remender the Church of England has a Bishops who actual does not belive in God

I know a lady who cares for a very handicap person and both of them enjoy their lifes togther -
It come down to how less able are we talking about and where do we draw the line.
I think its more quality of life rather than disablity
(I am not a soft touch, as i do belive in the death penatly but not as a punishiment or as a threat - merely as a means of cleaning the gene pool ) although this does go in some way against what I had said above

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:31
Rich said:
I'm not looking for anything Brian, I just made a statement of fact!

But to what point? How does a moral judgement based on a persons religion differ from a moral judgement based on what- gut feeling, natural instincts.?

And are you saying if a Moslem, a Jew, and a Christian all agreed on something because their religion said it was so, then that would be no good because their religions are different?

Just trying to understand your thinking, but I think I'll stick with my gut feeling for the moment:D

Brian

R

Rich

I'd rather let people make up their own minds, the "pro lifers" want it forced on others. ;)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
I'd rather let people make up their own minds, the "pro lifers" want it forced on others. ;)

I thought that was what they are trying to prevent :confused:

R

Rich

I don't want the bible pushers to have a say in the debate, hardly anybody goes to church here anymore and yet the Bishops etc. still want to Lord it over us. Anyway the right to terminate already exists

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 04:31
Rich said:
I don't want the bible pushers to have a say in the debate, hardly anybody goes to church here anymore and yet the Bishops etc. still want to Lord it over us. Anyway the right to terminate already exists

You’ve changed the question as usual. It’s not about abortion. It’s about you saying that religious people can’t be moral.

That’s the question you’re evading. How can you accuse others of evading questions, when that’s what you do all the time?

lightray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:31
How about, if the Government that wants to make the Law, take all the financial responsibility, thus relieving a major burden on the Parent. ... and further more if the Parent can't cope other wise, provide a Public facility for them to be looked after. This could be run by Goverment employees or caring members of the Public.:)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I'm certainly not pro-life as I feel that abortions are fine if done within a certain time frame before any real development of thought comes into play, but are we actually talking about aborting a baby after it's been born? How can that be morally accepted? If you've already gone though the labor, you might as well hand the baby over to adoption clinics or at least give the baby a fighting chance, no matter how severly disabled the baby may be.

If we legalize this, where do we draw the line? One person's opinion may differ from another's.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Vassago said:
I'm certainly not pro-life as I feel that abortions are fine if done within a certain time frame before any real development of thought comes into play, but are we actually talking about aborting a baby after it's been born? How can that be morally accepted? If you've already gone though the labor, you might as well hand the baby over to adoption clinics or at least give the baby a fighting chance, no matter how severly disabled the baby may be.

If we legalize this, where do we draw the line? One person's opinion may differ from another's.

That "where does it end business", was my first thought as well, but I couldn't imagine anyone advocating murdering children, so I chose to banter semantics with Rich instead.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:

So in your not-so-humble opinion, the over one billion Christians, and one Billion Muslims, and the only God know how many Hindus, should not have a say in the moral issues of the world?

Only the atheist should be able to decide? And that is because of their obviously higher moral ground.

Huh, and you say atheists aren’t religious.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
So in your not-so-humble opinion, the over one billion Christians, and one Billion Muslims, and the only God know how many Hindus, should not have a say in the moral issues of the world?

That's correct

Only the atheist should be able to decide? And that is because of their obviously higher moral ground.

That's correct

Huh, and you say atheists aren’t religious
That's correct, I don't know why you're getting your nickers in a twist over this, America fries it rejects daily anyway, all with God's blessing. Ever heard the word hypocrisy?:rolleyes:

rourkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:31
SJ McAbney said:
There was a small article in the papers this morning about the need for a dialogue about baby euthanasia. The idea being that it would allow for parents to remove severely disabled children from their lives, thus saving them years of financial and emotional stress. Having the option to kill the child once born would also reduce the stress upon the woman's body from abortion and suchlike terminations, allowing the birth to complete before decisions are made.

As usual, there's the bunch of pro-life nutjobs (this time joined by disabled societies) who are against it because they think it's wrong. On the other hand, there are those who believe talks need to be had on allowing it into law (in the UK), basically a mix of doctors and, in some cases, those who have had their lives ruined by bringing up disabled children.

Personally, I would support it. I don't see why people should have to spend years catering for someone that puts such stress on the parent(s) both financial and emotional, not to mention probably physical stress and lack of social interaction. If the parents have the child, then terminating the severely disabled child should be an option available to them.

Anyone else?
I would support it too.
It is allowed and supported by the Dutch government as well

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Personally, I would support it. I don't see why people should have to spend years catering for someone that puts such stress on the parent(s) both financial and emotional, not to mention probably physical stress and lack of social interaction. If the parents have the child, then terminating the severely disabled child should be an option available to them.

Anyone else?

I take it we are talking physical disabilities here, the next logical step is to remove the mentally retarded when they can be identified a few years down the line, and then the politically retarded when .... where will it end.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Vassago said:

Peoples' opinions differ on this time frame, do you feel 100% confident that you can precisely define the correct moment in all cases?

Brian

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Hmmm

Any body been reasonably close to the situation ?.

What are their thoughts

Cousin of mine

Son was born

spina bifida, spastic, a number of other abnormalities both physical and mental

What should be done ?.

Oh yes

First borne was a daughter. Spina bifida, hydro cafalours (cannot spell it). Died at about 16 weeks
Second borne daughter absolutely fine

What do you say should be done and bear in mind this would be something you need to say to the parents.

Len

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
I take it we are talking physical disabilities here
Severely disabled. Not just anyone born with a general handicap. One person suggesting talks need to be aired on the subject is the mother of Jonny Kennedy, who died in 2003 having suffered all his life from dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa.

From Wikipedia, he had this to say:

At the time Kennedy was born, there was no prenatal test for EB. By the time he grew up, such a test existed, and Kennedy had extremely negative views of EB pregnancy. When asked whether he would carry on with a birth, knowing that an EB child would be born, he said "No. I would terminate. It's not just a disabled child that's being born. It's disabling a whole family."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom