Baby Euthanasia (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 05:56
Stewart, the problem I would see is who decides on what constitutes severley disabled.

Brian

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Stewart, the problem I would see is who decides on what constitutes severley disabled.

That's the purpose of law, to define such things. In much the same way that murder is a concept of law.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 21:56
who decides on what constitutes severley disabled.

Dr. Joseph Mengele?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 06:56
rourkey said:
It is allowed and supported by the Dutch government as well

He ? Only under very stringent conditions. Abortion can only be done legally
if 50 or more papers are filled out and authorization is given by the appropriate parties. :mad:
The legallity in Ireland, Poland and some other countries is less restricting than that with us, dutchies.

rourkey

Registered User.
Local time
rak said:
if 50 or more papers are filled out and authorization is given by the appropriate parties. :mad:
The legallity in Ireland, Poland and some other countries is less restricting than that with us, dutchies.

This post is about baby euthanas not abortion!!

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
rourkey said:
This post is about baby euthanas not abortion!!

In that case it's even worse, there is no legal euthanasie in the Netherlands.

R

Rich

rak said:
I think you'll find that abortion is illegal in Ireland

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Rich said:
I think you'll find that abortion is illegal in Ireland

Got this from a respectfull site :

In theory, abortion is legal in Ireland if there is a risk to the life of the woman. A provision exists in the Irish constitution to allow Dáil Éireann to legislate on this.

R

Rich

rak said:
Got this from a respectfull site :

In theory, abortion is legal in Ireland if there is a risk to the life of the woman. A provision exists in the Irish constitution to allow Dáil Éireann to legislate on this.
Only if there's a risk to the life of the mother, that's why so many of them come here, because the RC church says they can't have one in their own country. Like I said, it's about time the church stopped ruling our lives!

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 00:56
Rich said:
Only if there's a risk to the life of the mother, that's why so many of them come here, because the RC church says they can't have one in their own country. Like I said, it's about time the church stopped ruling our lives!

Is the Church ruling your life Rich?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
rourkey said:

Sorry,

From the ministeria of Justice :

The incorporation of a special provision on exemption from punishment in Criminal Code (Article 293, paragraph two, and in Article 294, paragraph two, sentence two),does not decriminalise other forms of euthanasia and assisted suicide. Therefore, to say that euthanasia and assisted suicide are no longer punishable is not a correct presentation of the tenor of this bill.

(Published May 2004)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 00:56
I am personally against this and have no problem contributing to an institution for the children if it becomes too much of a burden on the parents.

:) :) :)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time

If you were in Ireland and its laws were the decision of the Catholic church - I could see your point.

Since neither is true - in fact you are in the UK where the policy is against the beliefs of the RC church.

Whats your problem? I can only presume you think that your opinion should override that democratically decided in Ireland.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Let me start by saying that SJ's original comments had some poor wording choices but I understood his meaning and I think people overracted regarding poisoning the well, etc.

Now then, I see where people are coming from on this issue. There are certainly a lot of arguments to be made about not forcing new parents to raise a child that demands so much more than a "normal" child. I'll also say I think if such a policy were allowed it would not make a huge impact because I don't think many people would take advantage of it. That's mostly speculation on my part, though.

However, I do greatly disagree with the concept because of the severe slippery slope involved. Other people have commented on this already so I won't elaborate.

Someone also brought up whether anyone here has experience in this area. I do. I am the youngest of four siblings; the oldest, my sister, is mentally handicapped. As mental handicaps go, she is on the high end of the capability spectrum. Unfortunately her condition doesn't stop there. She is also epileptic and (though we have no proof we're pretty darn sure it went down this way) medications she was given for it when she was young screwed up her brain chemistry resulting in hallucinations and an explosive, violent temper.

So, though she is actually quite capable she is also very difficult to live and work with. She is aware of her limitations and it frustrates her. She is often very tense and does not take correction very well, so when you try to help her she will often blow up at you. She has an extremely good memory but has a hard time distinguishing between memories that actually happened and her hallucinations.

Has she negatively impacted my life and the lives of my parents? Absolutely. Pretty much my only early memories of her involving screaming, and sometimes my father having to physically protect someone from her. It pretty much stayed that way until she went to live at a special needs community/school. The expense involved in giving her proper care and trying to help her as much as possible very nearly put my parents into bankruptcy.

Has she positively affected my life and the lives of my parents? I can't say. Am I a better person because of the challenges I went/go through with her? Who knows? I do know that if my parents had known of her handicaps at birth they never would have terminated her, and I know they look back and still would have made the same choice. I know they love her and value her despite it all. I'm quite confident that if you asked their opinion on this issue they would be fervently against it.

Last edited:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
So what would you do?
A much trickier question since I am not - and likely will never be - a parent. When it comes to my sister, if a genie granted me one wish about her I think I would honestly say to have her stay the same but without her terrible temper and - for her sake - without the hallucinations. Basically to undo the damage done by the bad meds she was given as an adolescent. I know having a "normal" daughter would mean so much to my parents, but she just wouldn't be her anymore; I wouldn't know her. I think she would have brought a lot more happiness to the family if it weren't for the violence but the other things we could handle, no problem.

Despite my own experience, and considering the vast majority of parents I've interacted with have said they wouldn't give up their special-needs child for the world, I think if I were given the choice of raising a handicapped child or terminating him, I would raise him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom