Canadian annual seal clubbing (1 Viewer)

sbenj69

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:20
Not in The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland they're not!:mad:

Here is the Dictionary.com definition for "realise":
re·al·ize
Audio Help /ˈri
əˌlaɪz/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ree-uh-lahyz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
–verb (used with object) 1.to grasp or understand clearly. 2.to make real; give reality to (a hope, fear, plan, etc.). 3.to bring vividly to the mind. 4.to convert into cash or money: to realize securities. 5.to obtain as a profit or income for oneself by trade, labor, or investment. 6.to bring as proceeds, as from a sale: The goods realized $1000. 7.Music. to sight-read on a keyboard instrument or write out in notation the full harmony and ornamentation indicated by (a figured bass). 8.Linguistics. to serve as an instance, representation, or embodiment of (an abstract linguistic element or category): In “Jack tripped,” the subject is realized by “Jack,” the predicate by “tripped,” and the past tense by “-ed.” –verb (used without object) 9.to convert property or goods into cash or money.
Also, especially British, re·al·ise.

Did you happen to notice the last part? :D

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 08:20
I'm sure most of you have seen this

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

So, where's the problem if your written language is not as accurate as it might be? As long as the reader can understand, and provided you are not writing some sort of binding document, how can it possibly harm anyone?

R

Rich

I'm sure most of you have seen this

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

So, where's the problem if your written language is not as accurate as it might be? As long as the reader can understand, and provided you are not writing some sort of binding document, how can it possibly harm anyone?

But the Americans need educating, it's not as if we get paid for it I know, but it's part of the price we have to pay for "the special" relationship:cool:;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
But the Americans need educating, it's not as if we get paid for it I know, but it's part of the price we have to pay for "the special" relationship:cool:;)

It's also a thankless task too. But we soldier on in the face of verbal abuse and adversity trying to educate Johnny Foreigner. One day they'll be thankful.

If we didn't care, we wouldn't do it.

For example, we seldom teach the Aussies because no-one really cares about the far flung countries of the Empire - and we've flung most of them as far as we can anyway.

Col

statsman

Local time
Today, 04:20
Not in The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland they're not!:mad:

Get ready Rich...this is really going to shock you.

Got a hold of yourself...are you prepared...

English is spoken and written in other places in the world as well.

It may not be the same way you do it, but it is CORRECT for how they do it.

BTW, you forgot the Isle of Man

R

Rich

Get ready Rich...this is really going to shock you.

Got a hold of yourself...are you prepared...

English is spoken and written in other places in the world as well.

Not correctly it isn't:p

BTW, you forgot the Isle of Man

No I didn't, it's part of the UK as is the Channel Islands, The Isles of Scily, etc.,etc.,:cool:

statsman

Local time
Not correctly it isn't:p

It is correct for how THEY speak it and write it. There are variations of almost everything and CORRECT is a relative term.

Example: Football/Soccer was invented in the UK. It was exported all over the world. Innovations and other input from the places where it was taken up resulted in:
- the banana shot
- the bicycle kick
- the offside trap
etc.

A purist may complain that its not correct football, but it does put the ball into the net more that the opponent, which is the point of the exercise.

R

Rich

It is correct for how THEY speak it and write it. There are variations of almost everything and CORRECT is a relative term.

Really, does that include children in the UK who can't put more than two words together in a constructive sentence?:confused:

Now of course we here have many traditionalists who want to preserve and maintain the correct English language, courses are available to help keep it alive:cool::p

statsman

Local time
No I didn't, it's part of the UK as is the Channel Islands, The Isles of Scily, etc.,etc.,:cool:

Well shiver me timbers and blow me down.

The following is from www.direct.gov.uk
The UK government website.

The full title of this country is 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'. 'The UK' is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 'Great Britain' (or just 'Britain') does not include Northern Ireland.
The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not part of the UK.

I guess we should never assume anything.

statsman

Local time
Really, does that include children in the UK who can't put more than two words together in a constructive sentence?:confused:

Now of course we here have many traditionalists who want to preserve and maintain the correct English language, courses are available to help keep it alive:cool::p

Sounds like the children who can't construct a sentence should take the courses.
In Canada we call this "SCHOOL"

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 01:20
A surefire way to guarantee that a language does not get mangled is to allow it to die.

Latin hasn't changed for what? A thousand year?!? Yet, its grammar has remained virtually unchanged.

OTOH, I understand that Swahili is quite advanced in that a single sound represents smallest meaningful unit (I think morpheme is the term, but not up and up with linguistic terms) in contrast to English words being a morpheme. (Note: syllables does not count as morpheme because they do not mean anything on their own, so it's quite amazing how the people was able to compress so much meaning into single sound.)

This was possible because Swahili is not generally written, and was primarily an oral language and is the oldest living language, so it evolved much more faster than any other languages, especially those encumbered with writing systems, thus it was able to achieve the feat of one sound being a morpheme. Impressive, no?

To further drive the point home, consider the phrase from Bible spoken in Middle English:

And it is don, aftirward Jesus made iourne bi cites & castelis prechende & euangelisende þe rewme of god, & twelue wiþ hym & summe wymmen þat weren helid of wicke spiritis & sicnesses, marie þat is clepid maudeleyn, of whom seuene deuelis wenten out & Jone þe wif off chusi procuratour of eroude, & susanne & manye oþere þat mynystreden to hym of her facultes
— Luke 8.1–3

Modern English
"And it came to pass afterward, that he went throughout every city and village, preaching and showing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him, and certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, and Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance."
— Translation of Luke 8.1–3 from the New Testament

Yep, definitely going have to be dead if it is not to change.

statsman

Local time
In Iceland they put a large portion of the annual budget to a government department which ensures the native language does not change. The concept is that if a 10th Century Viking asked directions both he and the person he was speaking to would understand each other.
The reasons for going to all this trouble is a little obscure. I guess you have to live in Iceland.

Every 20 years or so the French government goes to great trouble to try to deAnglisise the French language. Last time around they came up with "l'Image Cathode Ray" to replace Television. Didn't catch on but they keep trying.

Banana

Local time
Interesting tidbit about Iceland. France Council, I already knew about it. I understand they were still fairly upset that French is no longer the Lingua Franca of the world.

That said, there is something to be said for keeping the language reasonably clean of loanwords and other bastardization; we wouldn't have such problems with spelling or controversy over silly grammar rules had we not such bastardized language that we call English, but is hardly English (as in originating from England) in any form or shape. I also think it shows that universal language is pretty a lofty goal as many people will find creative ways to use language but it will spread gradually and take time; that's how we ended up with different flavors of English.

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
Interesting discussion. I lwas taught my English by a Scotsman. I feel my vocabulary is adequate, but my grammar is sometimes lacking and my spelling is often best guess.

In regards to dead languages, Sanskrit has remained stable for a long time as well. In Switzerland, Romanesque (sp) remains an official language even though less than 1 percent of the population speaks it, almost no one can write it and those who have it as their first language prefer the other languages.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Why should the English language change just because the bloody Yanks decide it.

It's yet another example of the arrogant USA trying to change things to suit it's own end for whatever reason.

As is shown on these forums, they think they know it all, yet they know nothing - but it does give us all a laugh I suppose.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Interesting discussion. I lwas taught my English by a Scotsman.

That's not counted as correct English. The Scottish are almost as bad as the Americans, nobody south of Stirling can understand what the hell they are on about.

Col

Banana

Local time

So you're A-OK with Aussies, Indians & Hong Kong people mangling English then?

Indeed, are you A-OK with the fact that British people does not speak English as it was spoken in Middle Ages, as I showed above?

Can't have your cake and eat it for this one, I'm afraid.

sbenj69

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:20
I think he's still upset with the "F" he received.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=733023&postcount=32

I would be upset too, especially if I was correcting the grammar and English of others. ;) :p

Condescension attracts attention to your own actions.

Personally, I don't go around touting, "Hey, look at me! I'm an American, and I'm better than everybody else!" I don't think most Americans think they are better than any other nationality; I do think, however, that most Americans do feel they have a better life style than almost every other nationality.

To be honest, I think Americans, as a whole, are becoming lazy and uneducated.

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time

It's yet another example of the arrogant USA trying to change things to suit it's own end for whatever reason.

As is shown on these forums, they think they know it all, yet they know nothing - but it does give us all a laugh I suppose.

Col

I don't recall anyone insisting that you communicate in the American idiom. However, you insist that everyone communicate in an idiom that meets your approval.
Who's being arrogant?

You insult people who live in your own country, not because of their use of language but because of their accent.
Who is trying to change things to suit their own end?

The laughter you hear is us laughing at you (I think I even saw a trace of a smile on Rich's face).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom