Copenhagen, the wash up (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:55
I also recycle paper, tins etc. We also have separate containers for them. We have 5 water butts to save rainwater for filling the pond and watering the garden during hot weather.

The current cold snap is quite normal every few years, as Rich says. In fact in '63 it lasted 3 months. The reason it is so disruptive is because we are so unprepared for it. Not enough grit and salt, little or no investment in snow clearing equipment etc. etc.

The reason for it, is a high pressure sitting just above Scotland, this is directing the warmer gulf stream weather away from the UK and dragging in cold weather from the Baltic and Russia.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The reason for it, is a high pressure sitting just above Scotland, this is directing the warmer gulf stream weather away from the UK and dragging in cold weather from the Baltic and Russia.

Col

Some global warming gurus say that this will happen more often with rising temperatures melting the Arctic ice. We have very mild winters, normally, considering our latitude.

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Some global warming gurus say that this will happen more often with rising temperatures melting the Arctic ice. We have very mild winters, normally, considering our latitude.

Brian

I'm not really clued up on this issue, shame on me.

Are the symptoms for global warming something along the lines of:

A general pattern of mild winters mixed in with sudden cold snaps?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

Some studies show that there is a 20-30 year cycle of warming and cooling , as mentioned earlier by Rich, towards the end of each cycle the sound bite glory hunters start predicting "a new iceage/we are all going to fry" dependent on which cycle.
The cycles are controlled by the oceans. However there is apparently a small underlying rising temperature.

Brian

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Some studies show that there is a 20-30 year cycle of warming and cooling , as mentioned earlier by Rich, towards the end of each cycle the sound bite glory hunters start predicting "a new iceage/we are all going to fry" dependent on which cycle.
The cycles are controlled by the oceans. However there is apparently a small underlying rising temperature.

Brian
But the temperature hasn't risen for ten years, long term maybe, but just maybe perhaps we've reached the peak:confused:;)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
But the temperature hasn't risen for ten years, long term maybe, but just maybe perhaps we've reached the peak:confused:;)

Assuming what is being said by the people I was talking about is true, then during any cycle the temperature will rise or fall but the low should not be as deep in each cool cycle and the high higher in each warm cycle, averaged of course and properly fiddled like all good stats. :D

Brian.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time

The great Ice Ages in Earths History have been caused by the switching off of the Atlantic Conveyers which bring warm temperate weather up from the equator, the Atlantic Conveyers are driven by Salt content in the Oceans, when the Ice Caps melt they flood the Oceans with Fresh water altering the salt content, as this increases the chances of switching off the conveyers gets higher...albeit this is a very slow process..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom