droughts (1 Viewer)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:52
I know a number of golf courses in northern Nevada use treated waste water, I assume they do in the south as well.

Cloud seeding has also been tried in the north, not sure to what effect. The info here seems dated:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:52
Cloud seeding will require that there be SOME humidity in the air. On the west coast between the shore and the western-most mountain range (specific names differ for different range, but parts of the Rocky Mountains), seeding has a decent chance. On the eastern side, the problem is that the moisture in the air has been diminished by adiabatic cooling as the on-shore breezes go up the slopes of the mountains. Therefore, seeding closer to the east of the Rockies is going to be less effective.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I have a gripe with my local community. Here we are in a middle of a drought with watering restrictions. Yet they are building hundreds of new houses.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have a gripe with my local community. Here we are in a middle of a drought with watering restrictions. Yet they are building hundreds of new houses.

Same thing here; it's annoying.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:52
People trump lawns and people need places to live. I think it is wrong to even allow private lawns in places like Phoenix. If you want to live in the desert, learn to live with dirt and rocks and cacti. If you want a lawn, live someplace that has rain regularly. Phoenix is emptying its aquifer at an alarming rate and has managed to import (and water) many of the plants that cause seasonal allergies that people moved to Phoenix to escape.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
We dont need to here in VA, but I have rain barrels on my down-spouts for watering the garden and chickens. I end up pouring most of it out since Supply out-paces Demand (for now).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We dont need to here in VA, but I have rain barrels on my down-spouts for watering the garden and chickens. I end up pouring most of it out since Supply out-paces Demand (for now).

We may have the opposite problem. NV is primarily "high desert" (Vegas is around 2,000', we're pretty close to 5,000' where we live). We may not get enough to make capturing it worthwhile. In the winter we may get dumped on, in the summer we get nothing. Even in winter, a lot of storms just dump snow in the mountains and we get shadowed out. Plus we don't water plants in the winter as a rule, it's too cold and they go dormant. I'm speaking for northern NV, Vegas is probably different.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:52
If you want to live in the desert, learn to live with dirt and rocks and cacti.

When I was still actively working for the U.S. Navy, one of the sites I had to visit for computer setup and maintenance was San Diego. Their rule was that you could have a sand and rock front yard and ANY native desert plant that didn't require extra watering. Some of the older houses on Point Loma (where the Navy base was located) had some quite attractive yards because the plants had grown and spread pretty well.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm not an expert but when I google for richest countries in 2022, neither UAE nor Saudi are even in top 10. (checked only several results)
By the way, US 2022 budget seems to be $6 trillion (from here)
while UAE is only $49 billion (from here)

All my life I thought US is the richest country in the world. Have I been wrong?
I think it may be a difference in calculating for the purposes of official lists like that, based on exactly how the money is held and who owns it public private or something creative in between.....

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Well I figure Arizona probably is one of the worst for droughts in the nation except the worst of ours actually ended six or eight months ago although they still say we are in a severe drought.

Yes, the desert can have droughts.
I remember years ago it used to rain every few weeks or every month or so a serious good rain sometimes it would last for several days.

Now I haven't seen a decent rain in 6 months.

And I don't care what the official weather sources say, they catalog and inventory every ridiculous imperceptible drop. I'm talking about a rainy day that you would actually remember. None.

Oh well, remember to recycle.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
"Drought" is a human construct. Too many people for the available water supply. Moreover, the "solution" to drought is viewed as an engineering challenge. Essentially, the same approach to "solving" so-called climate change. The "inconvenient truth" solution, which will never be recognized; limit the population to the available water supply. (Obviously, we are already beyond the point of no-return.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom