Fans - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:57
As those in the UK will know, there is a heatwave going on in the UK, 34C (93F) outside temperatures are making things a little unbearable in my home office. It is humid too. The temperature at my office desk is 28.4C (83f). Consequently, I have got virtually nothing done at all over the last few days.

Are any of you guys out there sitting by a fan, and what would you recommend to buy? I have a tiny desk fan and it is useless!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I have always found it warmer than most people. In work I would always have a thermometer to see if it was me or the environment. :)

I used to use a desk fan in work, which had a 12" fan I believe. That would be on from the moment I got to my desk until the moment I left it to go home, winter and summer.
In the house I have two classic floor standing fans, with 18" fans.

One is blowing on me right now in the living room, courtesy of a smart switch.
I have one in the bedroom that blows on me until I get to sleep, either on a timer or smart switch.

My sister just bought one of those vertical floor standing fans?

My two fans are like those in the first two pics. Hers is like the third pic.?
https://www.argos.co.uk/search/vertical-fan/?clickOrigin=searchbar:myaccount:term:vertical+fan

Then there are Dyson fans, which like the chair question recently, are very very expensive. Personally I cannot see why, except for them being bladeless?

Noting I would particularly reccommend though.?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:57
The room I usually work in has A/C from the Central Air system AND it has a ceiling fan usually set for "middle" speed of the 3-speed motor. That keeps it tolerable. Ever since I switched my system to an SSD, there are times when the system fans either don't run at all or run at low power. (Not with a graphics-intensive game, though.)

deletedT

Local time
I suggest you go for a bladeless fan. A little expensive, but you won't regret it.

AirMultiplier_AM01_GreyBlue_m.jpg

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
also look at portable aircon units - stayed at a hotel when travelling a year or so ago who put them in the bedrooms, worked well

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
How on earth do those bladeless fans work??

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
These designs are ingenious. They look so clean and modern. Like a work of art!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:57
We use a whole house fan, if you have attic these work brilliant. It pulls outside air in, rather then pushing inside air around. It has the added benefit of exchanging attic air every 20 minutes or so. It cost penny's to run, but expensive to install. But well worth it in California summers.

1597161952317.png
1597162035395.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:57
We had one of those in our house where I grew up. The only catch is you need good screens over all of the windows, and if you have a heavy pollen season, it might not be a good idea to run it all of the time. Most aluminum screens do nothing about pollen. Which is probably why I grew up with a pollen allergy.

SurreyNick

Local time
Try this:

Evapolar evaCHILL Personal Portable Air Cooler and Humidifier, Desktop Cooling Fan, for Home and Office, with USB Connectivity and Built-in LED Light

Price £105 on Amazon and voted best desktop air conditioner.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I've got 3 Fujitsu air con units in the house (bungalow). Brill, have to go outside to warm up. Still got the winter duvet on the bed.
Col

Reactions: Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom