The UK is Scorchio! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:18
Predictions are that the UK will reach its hottest ever temperatures today. Last night was the hottest ever night, apparently. I just got to my local coffee shop and I have to say, its damn hot out there at 32C. But some are predicting up to 43C today. That is like a Vegas heatwave!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Costa's, Newbury retail park, have v good Aircon... So good I take my coat!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Costa's, Newbury retail park, have v good Aircon... So good I take my coat!
I always take my jumper when I go to Costa! I spend 2 to 3 hours in there each morning so I get cold! I have found only one seat in the entire place that is at a diagonal to the aircon, so I don't get the direct blast.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmmm aircon... I might go a drive around for 1/2 an hour to chill down.
It's defo warmer here today than yesterday, almost certainly because of the overnight temperatures.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've put the dogs paddling pool in the shade - couple of chairs and feet in the water - dog thinks we're mad!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not too bad, I've known it worse. Around here in the Cotswolds it is about 20%

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, so it is now the hottest UK day ever!

JonXL

Local time
Today, 01:18
It's about 30% locally but that will rise as the afternoon progresses.
It's currently 35°C in the shade which is 95°F
Well that's not too bad, then. Should be easy to keep comfortable absent health conditions or anything like that.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In south Louisiana we are looking at 95+ degrees F and 90%+ humidity. It can get a bit oppressive sometimes.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:18
Predictions are that the UK will reach its hottest ever temperatures today. Last night was the hottest ever night, apparently. I just got to my local coffee shop and I have to say, its damn hot out there at 32C. But some are predicting up to 43C today. That is like a Vegas heatwave!
Wow

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This morning on the CBS news broadcast, they described the European heat wave with massive fires in Greece and with Italian drought devastating the fields that normally produce risotto. The drought is SO bad that rivers in Italy are low enough to uncover old Roman-era stonework in places. They showed an old WWII-era barge that had been sunk in one river circa 1942 or 43, and now, 80 years later it is exposed. The USA water supply in the west is getting to the point that California may have to impose water rationing. With water being used on their forest fires plus the drought that reduces water input to the man-made and natural lakes, things are getting bad. The water level is low enough to imperil several species native to those lakes.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 02:18
With water being used on their forest fires plus the drought that reduces water input to the man-made and natural lakes, things are getting bad.
Meanwhile, we are getting a lot more rain than what is customary this time of year. Crazy days...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:18
In Australia were have been having record floods. At the end of February the river went over the levee wall in my town for the first time ever when most of the river's catchment received over a metre of rain in two days. It wiped out the city of Lismore with river heights nearly two metres higher than ever before. Much of the CBD was submerged right over the rooves of many buildings. A thousand houses in that city alone were condemned as permanently uninhabitable and there was no power for several weeks. Their sewerage plant was destroyed and raw sewage has been going down the river for months. Many people are still living in tents today.

Then it happened again a month later. Although not as high as the February flood this one was among the three highest on record. The rain just keeps on coming back. We were spared the latest round a couple of weeks ago when record floods hit further south. Some places down there have been hit by record floods four times in eighteen months.

We had heatwaves and massive fires that went on for months in 2019. Whole towns burnt down.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Don't advertise that excess water... the crazies in California will demand to be allowed to pump some of that water from Australia to Lake Mead. (I wish I thought I was joking but with southern California thinking, one never knows.) Trans-Pacific Pipeline, here we come.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
On a more serious note: In 2005, Hurricane Katrina put enough water to flood my house 2 feet deep. It put water in an area we call the "Lower 9th Ward" (wards & precincts apply in New Orleans voting districts). Water deep enough to be even with the eaves of 1-story houses - and sometimes higher. Back then, one of our Navy operators was in his house, had to go up into the attic, and used a hatchet to hack a hole in his roof so he could get above the flood waters. He was rescued by boat from his rooftop. Another of our operators had a disabled husband who was so immobilized by illness that they decided to try to stick through it. Three weeks later her son found his parents' bodies encased in thick mud that had risen to ceiling level. So G., I feel the pain. I lived through it 17 years ago. Then Ida came along last year and messed up our roof - but she was just a big windbag that took down a few big trees in our neighborhood. Not that much rain. Not zero - but not deep, flooding rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom