Games (1 Viewer)

statsman

Local time
Today, 12:59
BMX bike racing and...trampoline? When did trampoline become an Olympic sport? My hubby was complaining because it seemed like all they were ever showing was gymnastics or diving, at least once Phelps was done with his swimming. Once the regular gymnastics was over they began with the "rhythmic" gymnastics during which one dances around with a ball or hula hoop or ribbon. I suppose it is for those who couldn't cut it with the real gymnastics sports. Meanwhile, there were a lot of events that didn't seem to get any coverage at all, like weightlifting (a popular choice at our house). ;) Not a lot of coverage for any of the track and field either, with exception of the sprinters which I find fairly dull to watch. I would much prefer to watch long jump or pole vault or discus or just about anything other than just...running fast.

Trampoline is new this year. A friend of mine called it gymnastics with a bounce.
Ryythmic gymnastics has been in for a few Olympics now. It originated in Estonia (I think). It is a separate discipline from regular gymnastics as the ball, ribbon effects are judged in addition to the actual body movements. an acquired taste I fear.
I agree with you about weightlifting, especially the lighter divisions where the participants are sometimes lifting twice their own body weight.
Track & field (athletics) coverage left a great deal to be desired. Also a lack of coverage of the distance track events.

US coverage (regardless of the network) deals with events which have a built in rating (sprints) or those events where an American is likely to receive a medal. British and Canadian TV do the same thing. These companies all paid big money for the TV rights and they are only going to air the events that will get them big ratings and big ad dollars. I remember a Canadian won a medal in rapid-fire pistol or somthing similar. When was the last time you saw TV coverage of that event? We got it up here (delayed) only because a Canadian won a medal.

Last edited:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 09:59
Now for the real games to begin...

Beijing 2008 Paralympics

next week for those of you who have no clue...

statsman

Local time
Today, 12:59
Why do I get the uncomfortable feeling that the Chinese will be putting able-bodied athletes into the paralympics with passports claiming they are disabled ?

This is not a negative comment on the paralympics, only the Chinese.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 09:59
Actually the Paralympics are quite more honest. For most people who are there, their attendance is a feat. I do not think there are people who would actually sink that low, but it really does not matter because personal best counts as much as a medal - sometimes even more than a token or a competitive record.

Why do I get the uncomfortable feeling that the Chinese will be putting able-bodied athletes into the paralympics with passports claiming they are disabled ?

This is not a negative comment on the paralympics, only the Chinese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom