Guilty or Not Guilty? The George Floyd trial... (1 Viewer)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:27
Watching the trial now I think the defense attorney is really blowing his cross. He's trying to manipulate the witness and it ain't working.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 11:27
When I have more time after work what is the best platform to easily & quickly go watch well-described, limited 'segments' of the trial?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:27
I think i heard part of that and what I believe he said was that it can be done but not in a sustained manner.
The picture of the knee on the neck was from the training for how to handcuff someone. But the police chief said they do not put the knee on the neck. He is an unreliable witness.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
When I have more time after work what is the best platform to easily & quickly go watch well-described, limited 'segments' of the trial?
My recommendation is this guy:

If you watch mainstream media, it is 100% biased. This is a political trial, not a legal one. It is impossible to have legal impartiality under such circumstances, where the jury fear for their lives.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
My recommendation is this guy:

If you watch mainstream media, it is 100% biased. This is a political trial, not a legal one. It is impossible to have legal impartiality under such circumstances, where the jury fear for their lives.
Where'd ya find him? Night court?

You know me, the fact checker. I had to check his creds.
Not a single trial but plenty of social media accounts.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Thanks for checking moke but I might have to at least briefly check him out just because it looks like he's a fellow Phoenician 😀

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
This does not address the guilt/innocence of Chauvin, but does point to this being a "a political trial, not a legal one". The Mayor of Brooklyn Center, gave an update around noon EDT today on the death of Wright. The press conference was very unprofessional in that it was "factually" premature and the Mayor was using a supposedly neutral summary of the events to promoted the false narrative of "yet another Black man has been unjustly killed by the police" as if the police are actively targeting only Black men. A few hours later, the Mayor fired the City Manger for stating that the police officer who killed Wright, should receive due process. Though this is a separate incident from the Chauvin trial, it does indicate that some members of the political leadership class in the Minneapolis area are making inflammatory statements that are creating a toxic environment for the police. Hopefully the jury in the Chauvin trial can put aside the toxic environment being created by the media and the political leaders.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I read that too. Definitely wrong & sad to fire the city manager for saying that.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You know me, the fact checker. I had to check his creds.
Let me fact check the fact checker

The YouTube bio says this:

R&R Law Group is an award-winning Arizona criminal defense law firm based in Scottsdale, Arizona. The R&R Team represents good people charged with crime ranging from simple misdemeanor offenses to major felony charges. R&R Law Group has successfully represented thousands of people in criminal cases in virtually every jurisdiction in Arizona. If you or a loved one has been charged with a criminal offense, please contact our office to schedule a free case evaluation to start preparing for your future and a successful outcome.
Notice they say they have represented thousands of people in criminal cases. The guy in the YouTube videos practiced criminal defense law, founded a law firm and was the Vice- Managing Editor of the Law Review. He has also been awarded the distinction of being in the Nations Top 1% of Attorneys awarded by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel

@Isaac Moke makes a criticism of my selection but he doesn't actually state what is wrong with my recommendation, makes no comment on the content and provides no alternative. That is not fact checking at all. Instead, it is an attempt to mislead you into thinking my reommendations coverage of this trial is not worth watching. Perhaps he prefers you go directly to the source of truth: MSNBC, CBS, ABC and CNN.

I would suggest you make your own mind up.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Steve R. I am surprised if he can't sue for infair dismissal, surely?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You couldn't make it up. Half way through the George Floyd trial, where a police officer is accused of using excessive force leading to the death of a black man, you have an incident where a police officer is accused of using excessive force leading to the death of a black man. The timing is about the worst you could possibly imagine for the impartiality of the George Floyd trial. The pressure to convict, regardless of what the jury actually believes, has shifted further towards finding Chauvin guilty. This background context makes it very difficult to have a fair trial.

Few seem to care about what the defence has to say, because they have already made up the minds. This is even before the defence has made their case or brought in any of their own witnesses. I believe the Mayor of Minessota recently said something to the effect of "We have the video, we don't need anything else. He should go to prison." It was something like that. But this type of recklessness, from a prominent government official, suggests to me they are not suited to that sort of role. They do not believe in justice and due process, clearly.

So, while before I stated I think Chauvin will be acquitted, I am not so sure now. I also factor in the the recent revelations by the judge that the jury expressed concerns about their own safety at the beginning of the trial.

This race conflict is being fuelled by the media in such an irresponsible manner. America is in for a hard time, with race riots, social unrest and polarised perspectives. My belief is that the overuse of identity politics, splitting people into competing groups, will only exacerbate the situation.

I was listening to a legal podcast last night, where the lawyers were saying that it was a show trial. They believed that Chauvin would be convicted of assault, had the lesser charge been put forward. But no, the state wanted a murder conviction! The political pressure for a charge that is not suited could be a trigger for nationwide rioting, if found not-guilty. @Pat Hartman had a similar view regarding the appropriateness of the charges, I believe.

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Let me fact check the fact checker

The YouTube bio says this:

Notice they say they have represented thousands of people in criminal cases. The guy in the YouTube videos practiced criminal defense law, founded a law firm and was the Vice- Managing Editor of the Law Review. He has also been awarded the distinction of being in the Nations Top 1% of Attorneys awarded by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel

@Isaac Moke makes a criticism of my selection but he doesn't actually state what is wrong with my recommendation, makes no comment on the content and provides no alternative. That is not fact checking at all. Instead, it is an attempt to mislead you into thinking my reommendations coverage of this trial is not worth watching. Perhaps he prefers you go directly to the source of truth: MSNBC, CBS, ABC and CNN.

I would suggest you make your own mind up.
My reference to fact checker was not a criticism of content, its a reference to Pats pet name for me. In fact, I watched some of it and I think he agreed with me that Man3 is where this is going.

I didn't say dont watch him, I just looked at his credentials and thought it was funny. I've never seen an attorney worth his salt list his case accomplishments without a single trial and every case in traffic court. I've been a member of several "National Associations of ..." which basically meant I paid a membership fee and got a fancy certficate I could hang on my office wall.

My interpretation of Isaacs request was that he was looking for clips of the testimony to see for himself, not to hear someone else's opinion of them.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
He does show pertinent clips of testimony, which is why I recommended it. But he adds detail on legal aspects of this, his opinion on if the prosecution or defence has made headway. You don't get that while watching the raw footage.

Anyway, we are moving on to the defences case this week, and the judge is looking to possibly having Friday off and closing arguments on Monday. It seems like it will be over very soon, and the riots will start. If they don't convict on the very highest charge, I think activists will cause mayhem. That is what happens when you have a rigged jury, run by white supremacists who support police brutality specifically targeting black men.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
BTW, his law school went out of business in 2018. Just sayin.
How do you know it went out of business and if it did, why is that relevant?

The reason I ask is that yesterday there was this post on the R&R Law Group's Facebook page:

1618323308513.png

Another post...

1618323973422.png

In fact, they have hundreds of posts to their Facebook page in the last year, citing cases they did and advertising their services. This suggests they are up and running. I don't know the answer to if they went out of business in 2018, but If you can't prove your point without misleading, what does that say about the strength of your argument? Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Some damning evidence from the defence with their opening witness. It is a retired police officer who handcuffed Floyd in 2019. One of the officers in their body cam footage was saying, "Spit it out", or something similar. This suggests that Floyd has a history of putting things in his mouth, drugs probably, when the police approach him.

Floyd was ignoring officers commands to put his hands on the dashboard, causing the officer to pull his gun. I suspect this was Floyd getting his drugs to put in his mouth. The fact the other officer said, "Spit it out" shows that they must have seen him put something in his mouth.

It was short, sharp, abbreviated testimony, but very effective.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
BTW, his law school went out of business in 2018. Just sayin.
I went to a little-known, barely accredited law school called Thomas Jefferson, in 2003. They were still fighting with the state of CA to get a highway sign pointing toward the institution, like other schools had.

Yet the professors were very good - top of their class from Harvard Law Review, established careers in high profile Chicago law firms, clerked for state supreme court, well published, etc. TJSL students went on to all sorts of great places in life and were generally well adjusted.

One thing I learned is that whether you went to a big famous law school or whether you simply went to a small one (but did well there), really doesn't matter much, other than mattering for notoriety.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Blimey, there is more damning evidence from the paramedic who dealt with Floyd a couple of years ago. She said Floyd told her he took drugs when the police approach him. Not only that, when she checked his blood pressure, it was 216/160. OMG!! Anyone who knows anything about blood pressure will know that is off the charts. This is all documented from medical records.

Source: American Heart Association

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
This last witness, the paramedic, said Floyd had not been taking his blood pressure medication. :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom