Gun laws do they work (2 Viewers)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yesterday, 23:26
This isn't the first time it's been noted that English really does need a 'sarcasm' punctuation. :p

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 05:26
I know. Few Americans voluntarily support abstaining from instant availability of blow-them-away means.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
This going to sound really stupid, especially to people outside the US. There is only one rule in handgun ownership. Never ever EVER point a gun at anyone or thing that you don't intend to shoot PERIOD. That's the rule I live by, and it has served me well.

I would be more inclined to reach for a piece of hickory before a handgun IF it ever came down to it.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I will not disagree that guns get used inappropriately, but so do other weapons. It is one man's not-so-humble opinion that a big part of the problem comes about because our schools don't teach kids about conflict resolution. The parents usually don't want someone to teach their kids to be civil based on someone else's definition of civility. Worse, the parents probably never learned that concept either.

The result is that kids don't know how to resolve conflicts with less than lethal force. Then they grow up to be adults who don't know how to resolve conflicts with less than lethal force - and there is where a lot of the publicized violence occurs.

Col, you made a passing reference to how cops seem to have a free pass on violence and on shooting unarmed people. They don't, but all too frequently the result in which the officer is arrested, tried, convicted, and put in jail is not made public because the police departments see the news media as enemies, too. Sadly, I don't always disagree with the police hierarchy when the media in question are seeking the next sensational headline for viewership / readership issues rather than newsworthiness.
Well Said!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 04:26
I find it odd that what Americans on this forum say and what we see on the news are two totally different things. Yes, I don't doubt there are gun carriers that never point at anything living, but a BBC documentary a while ago pointed out that parents (usually fathers if the child has one) will teach their children from aged about 5 how to shoot and kill.
They take them "hunting" to allow them to get used to killing innocent creatures for fun and watch them suffer and die.
Then you have that stupid sod who killed Cecil the lion after paying a fee for the privilege, he seems to think it was sad he killed Cecil but would have been ok to kill an anonymous lion. . . . Why?

Then you have the powerful NRA who make absolutely sure gun control never gets passed, they spend millions bribing senators to scupper any bill. With a lame duck president who prefers golf nothing will ever change.

To sum up, Americans love guns and will never change trying to be macho and killing things. Non Americans think it is totally stupid and can't see the reasoning or feeble excuses yanks come up with.
This thread will run for years, Americans are for guns, non Americans just watch in amazement that nothing changes.

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
To sum up, Americans love guns and will never change trying to be macho and killing things. Non Americans think it is totally stupid and can't see the reasoning or feeble excuses yanks come up with.
This thread will run for years, Americans are for guns, non Americans just watch in amazement that nothing changes.

Col

https://www.youtube.com/user/fieldsportschannel

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Pointing out hypocrisy is not going to work, unless its spoon fed by the BBC or some London rag they read.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Pointing out hypocrisy is not going to work

Quite. But justifying lunacy by some other lunacy doesn't work either, at least not outside the US.

Last edited:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
And now a print-it-yourself gun:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-22421185

The perpetrator is an actual "law student", in the US of course, rattling of the same arguments as used by all US gun persons. I guess many non-US persons see this as another instance of US genetic imperviousness to gun control.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
That was dated May 6, 2013. We are way past that. Kids are printing their own nukes now, it's a requirement for graduation in the USA.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Quite. But justifying lunacy by some other lunacy doesn't work either, at least not outside the US.

My response was to illustrate the stupidity of the assertion that all enlightenment is to be found outside the US. Thus in that regard it applies to your response also.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Dan fieldsports is not to do with owning guns for shooting people , it is concerned with hunting, fishing, and, as most of the entries were about, clay pigeon shooting.

The hunting is licensed and controlled, similar to that practised by Ken Higgs, ditto the fishing.

Nobody is saying that there are not looneys outside of the US. but in civilised countries the general population is not against gun control.

Brian

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
This going to sound really stupid, especially to people outside the US. There is only one rule in handgun ownership. Never ever EVER point a gun at anyone or thing that you don't intend to shoot PERIOD. That's the rule I live by, and it has served me well.

I would be more inclined to reach for a piece of hickory before a handgun IF it ever came down to it.
I would go further than that. I was brought up in the countryside where people used guns for sporting purposes and indeed I had an airgun myself as a kid. It was firmly drilled into us that we only pointed a gun at something we intended to shoot. We were also told never to throw a stone unless we knew where it was going to go. Plain common sense in my opinion.

That said, I do not agree with the indiscriminate use of hand guns. IMO a better burglar deterrent are good locks and security.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Dan fieldsports is not to do with owning guns for shooting people , it is concerned with hunting, fishing, and, as most of the entries were about, clay pigeon shooting.

The hunting is licensed and controlled, similar to that practised by Ken Higgs, ditto the fishing.

My link was supposed to match Col's flippancy. It's not a very important point

Nobody is saying that there are not looneys outside of the US. but in civilised countries the general population is not against gun control.

The POTUS is actually for more gun control and has a great deal of support. Gun control has also been temporarily installed in the past. Link

So nothing has been rejected out-of-hand by an uncivilized nation.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Dan, I'm sorry I didn't word my post very well. I was not suggesting the USA was not civilised or that all of the population was against gun control.

Brian

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I would go further than that. I was brought up in the countryside where people used guns for sporting purposes and indeed I had an airgun myself as a kid. It was firmly drilled into us that we only pointed a gun at something we intended to shoot. We were also told never to throw a stone unless we knew where it was going to go. Plain common sense in my opinion.

That said, I do not agree with the indiscriminate use of hand guns. IMO a better burglar deterrent are good locks and security.
Sounds like we are in agreement.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
How many guns does the average gun owner have? You know, like the gunslinger macho wannabe Wyatt Earp failures on these forums.

I always imagine a spare bedroom or a cellar kitted out with racks of rifles, handguns, machine guns etc., and the owners running round in ex army clothes trying to recreate the good old days of Vietnam. Like they do out in the small towns in the films.

Col

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
My father had a derringer, a Browning 9mm (his service weapon as a cop), a pellet gun that used compressed air, a 20-gauge shotgun, a .22 rifle, two muskets, a flintlock pistol, a matchlock pistol, a pre-Civil War-era muzzle-loading rifle, and a Winchester Model 1873 that he and I were both about 90% certain was only a replica. The only ones he kept ammo for were the 9mm, the shotgun, and the pellet gun, and I don't think he bothered keeping in practice for the last 10 years or so.

Alas, my sister was executor of his estate and stole them all when she ransacked it for anything valuable, so I still own no guns myself.

One of my friends has a pistol and no other firearm. He purchased it and acquired a CPL because he wanted it for when he made his nightly cash deposits from his business at the bank.

Another friend has, I believe, a shotgun, two pistols, and at least two hunting rifles of some sort. He also has an ammunition press and whatever else is needed for reloading your own ammo. Bought it when he still bought into the yearly "Obama's taking all the ammo off the market" scares. He is, however, an avid hunter and enjoys target shooting.

Overall, I would expect the 'average' gun owner, if there is such a thing, to have between 1 and 3 guns and a box or two of ammunition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom