Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 14:45
And for the record, pretty much everyone here considers the idiots with full armories in their basements who run around in camo and in "militias" with the goal of fighting off the US Government's inevitable attempt to instate Nineteen Eighty-Four to be lunatics. There are some, sure, but they're a tiny, tiny, tiny minority.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:45
Gee, Col, I'd have to count what is in my gun room...

I just had to give up my second gun room when we moved to a smaller house. I can no longer keep the SCUD launchers or the Stuart tank. Also, we had to get rid of the Vulcan auto-cannon because in the smaller house, it just gets too hot for the air conditioning to keep up with that excess heat even for short bursts. Oh, well, the 8-gauge shotgun still works well enough on the cockroaches and mice, so maybe we can do without the Vulcan. The three gun safes are enough now for the 50-cal sniper rifle, the Browning Squad Assault Weapon, the FALN, and the AK47 assault rifles plus the thousands of rounds of ammo (for each) plus the various pistols... Is that what you imagined for us USA gun nuts?

Seriously, most of the gun owners I know personally have one pistol, including me. That was "most" - there are some exceptions with two handguns if both husband and wife or father and son have weapons, but the latter cases are usually sportsmen.

My brother-in-law, however, is a licensed hunter with a couple of rifles and a shotgun for duck hunting. He uses the same shotgun for skeet-shooting, more as practice for his duck outings. Since he is no longer active in the military, I don't know if he still has his handgun. These statements are anecdotal, but as far as I know, also typical of most families that have any guns at all.

My uncle was a licensed gun collector (of historical weapons) until he passed away. He might have had about 20-25 weapons that were from 40 to over 200 years old, but only two of them (one pistol and one rifle) were still usable. The rest were strictly for show. When he died, his son took the collection to Tennessee and I lost track of it. I believe the old guns are now in the hands of my uncle's grandsons, and I have lost track of them, too. Anyway, the point is that even collectors don't always have the firepower you might first have imagined. For example, if you even TRIED to use my uncle's Kentucky Long Rifle, it would have probably exploded in your face. Ditto the 22-cal commando folding-stock framework rifle.

Net result, those of us who own guns rarely own multiples. The ones that stand out are the collectors, and when it comes to collectors, you never know what they will do - whether we are speaking of gun collectors, sword collectors, or comic book collectors.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Oh, I nearly forgot, my friend who goes hunting and has the multiple weapons?

One pistol is in his nightstand, with a locked trigger guard. The other is in his wife's nightstand, also with a locked trigger guard. Both are kept unloaded, although each has a loaded clip stored with it. The rifles and shotgun are kept in a locked gun case in the basement next to the ammo press.

Hey, Doc, if you ever come up to Michigan, I could SO use your help installing a GAU-8/A Avenger in my van. You never know when it'll come in handy in Flint.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 19:45
Doc, I have no idea what your first paragraph is on about, you may as well post in Swahili as it means absolutely nothing to me, but I sense it is a bit tongue in cheek?

Col

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Golly, with all that hardware available you'd need to be a fool to try to burgle someone in the USA.
I can see now it will be totally impossible to legislate any gun control, it must be a massive industry, thousands of jobs, hence all the bribes to senators et al to leave things alone.

No, I've decided the USA will never change and the serial killings of children, students etc., will be shrugged off as part of USA life and will continue as per normal.

Col

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Golly, with all that hardware available you'd need to be a fool to try to burgle someone in the USA.
I can see now it will be totally impossible to legislate any gun control, it must be a massive industry, thousands of jobs, hence all the bribes to senators et al to leave things alone.

No, I've decided the USA will never change and the serial killings of children, students etc., will be shrugged off as part of USA life and will continue as per normal.

Col

Imagine the burglary rate if they didn't have guns!

http://rayrayallday.com/2013/01/11/...rates-depends-on-definition-of-violent-crime/

Makes many a good cop show though!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time

Col

Let's be honest here. Your unreasoning, unthinking hatred of all things American means you are going to "think" that regardless of the truth.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Let's be honest here. Your unreasoning, unthinking hatred of all things American means you are going to "think" that regardless of the truth.

I wonder what is the truth.
We see mass killings on the news. . . a lie?
We see stories of corruption in US government. . . .a lie?
We see stories of gun wielding dentists killing lions for fun. . . .a lie?
We hear about Christian God loving Forum members here admit to owning and carrying guns and would kill an intruder with no question. . . a lie?
We see gang wars across America where murder is commonplace. . . a lie?

The truth is I don't hate America or Americans, if you like I can list things I like about America, obviously I haven't been there so what I have seen and heard may be lies.

Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:45
UK perception of the US is based on 5-6 daily news stories, not reality. "Breaking news" obese man walks across the street. Therefor all Americans must be obese, news at eleven.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
UK perception of the US is based on 5-6 daily news stories, not reality.

Phew! That's a relief, there was me thinking the images of Columbine and Sandy Hook massacres of children were real.

So it's safe for us to say that what we (and the world) sees on TV is all lies. So the other things I listed are also untrue?

I mentioned a few posts back that Americans just shrug their shoulders and put it down to normal US life, seems I was right, AB doesn't even warrant it to be breaking news.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Col, the news may be true but it only reports a very tiny part of life, the sensationalist part.
In something like a dozen visits to various parts of America I only saw one gun, it was on the hip of a cop, and yes there are obese people in America but I don't think the percentage is much different to here.
Of course we don't have gang killings here or corruption in government. :rolleyes:

I take it you are condemning all American dentists because of one guy.

There is however the point about gun wielding Christians that I can't argue with.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col, the news may be true but it only reports a very tiny part of life, the sensationalist part.
In something like a dozen visits to various parts of America I only saw one gun, it was on the hip of a cop, and yes there are obese people in America but I don't think the percentage is much different to here.
Of course we don't have gang killings here or corruption in government. :rolleyes:

I take it you are condemning all American dentists because of one guy.

There is however the point about gun wielding Christians that I can't argue with.

Brian

Of course I know it's only the sensational news that is reported, I'm not that senile yet.:roll eyes:

I also know that living and working or visiting America is probably as safe as here.
In fact, only last week my debit card was scammed whilst getting money out of an ATM in London, and by next morning £1400 had been removed from my bank account.

It's just that I love how sensitive, serious and paranoid Americans are. I really shouldn't wind them up. It's a naughty hobby.

Col

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I bought a new car this week, it was a bargain, it only cost me £1,400. Nice little runner too... :D:p

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:45
...It's just that I love how sensitive, serious and paranoid Americans are. I really shouldn't wind them up. It's a naughty hobby.

Col
You react to 99% of what we write, so who's doing the winding? (Not so) subtle American trick?

You could be the one being clowned in your own scenario.

Last edited:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Ah, AB, we should probably leave the child be. I'm sure an American gave him a dirty look or something when he was a toddler, because he's obviously traumatized. He obviously blames us for all the evil in the world for SOME completely irrational reason.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Perfect response from AB and FrothyWhatshisname, so boring and predictable.

Still, at least we know now that the next mass killing in America won't be reality despite what the BBC says.

Oh Scott, you can keep the car, the bank refunded all losses.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom