Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:40
John,
I don't think I get the full gest of your message but it may be my fault. I have a bad habit if thinking in USA lingo. Did you know who I was referring to when I said “Fat Man”
Ps. I don’t think I have ever heard that quote about best served cold, is that a Aussie quote. It sounds like Shakespeare but I am not up on the Bard.

I'm guessing we're talking Homer Simpson :D

It's a proverb dating back to 1780's so post dates the bard :)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 17:40
I'm guessing we're talking Homer Simpson :D

It's a proverb dating back to 1780's so post dates the bard :)

Definitely my fault! I forget sometimes that some people are not always as old as I am so, may not remember the same things. They also come from different countries so may not have had the same TV shows. Jackie Gleason was a big fat actor/comedian that use to end his show with a cup of coffee in his hand and everybody knew that it was booze. He would then take a sip and say “How sweet it is”

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Hey John,
As you knew my wife is at a rehab hospital. They have a LAN with a username/password that we can use anywhere in the building to get on to the net. We both get on at the same time often sitting side by side. Sometime, however they have to take her back to her room for an IV or other meds. I stay in the dining room. Is there any way to use their LAN to talk to my wife’s computer?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Do you mean this sort of thing or Skype sort of thing.

I trust everything is going well for her.

Neither! I have LAN in my house or we move it to the RV when traveling. We can use it to get on the net or I can getto talk to her computer. Look up her files etc. How do I do there same thing on their LAN

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 14:40
My choice of English is not always correct - I don’t know what other word to use for "compound" to describe the portion where our home is on our property. It is fenced with energized fencing similar to the outer boundary of the property so there are no livestock where they should not be, which also deters predators and other undesirable creatures. The only beings who seem to want to defeat these boundaries are people who also seem to choose to ignore signage.
There is no danger for people who have a reason to be on our property or a purpose to approach our home.

The tone of impending anarchy in your post is quite depressing. Again don't reckon for visits from the likes of me if I have to go through a "compound" to get there. Too much potential for a mistake from someone already half convinced I'm a viable target.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Ask if you can check with the hospitals IT guru and get them to guide you through it. Each hospital is a bit different setup and rules but we have never been told NO by their techies.
Just avoid the area near the MRI and other "non-invasive" test procedures...

As you knew my wife is at a rehab hospital. They have a LAN with a username/password that we can use anywhere in the building to get on to the net. We both get on at the same time often sitting side by side. Sometime, however they have to take her back to her room for an IV or other meds. I stay in the dining room. Is there any way to use their LAN to talk to my wife’s computer?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Ask if you can check with the hospitals IT guru and get them to guide you through it. Each hospital is a bit different setup and rules but we have never been told NO by their techies.
Just avoid the area near the MRI and other "non-invasive" test procedures...

Thanks for answering. Techies that’s funny, because lots of places I go I am the most knowledgeable person there and far from a techie. Even when I go to the VA hospital I marvel at their lack of knowledge. This hospital that my wife is at is a rehabilitation hospital. They don’t have MRI or even X-ray. They have all the latest equipment for prostheses people and are very good at teaching her to use her new leg. There LAN is over a cable network and when it goes down they have to call an outside company. I don’t know much about networking myself, so when I bought a router from Best Buy I paid them to come out to the house and set up my three computers and a wireless printer. Since I can fetch files from the other two computers from my main one on my router, I thought that maybe there was some easy way to get a file off of my wife’s computer when they have her in her room for medication.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
If all else fails with hardware setups - ask someone under 30 (as long as they can stop texting for 5 minutes and pay attention to your question). Thats the easiest way I get things done that is not a jobsite issue: drop off the equipment at the kids home in town, announce I will be picking up "whatever" at the Dairy Queen, return 30 minutes later and the device is setup / fixed / sharing / downloading / etc.

Good friend of ours carves the sockets for legs and arms on a CNC milling machine, interesting and purposeful work that is keeping her from being a starving artist.

Thanks for answering. Techies that’s funny, because lots of places I go I am the most knowledgeable person there and far from a techie. Even when I go to the VA hospital I marvel at their lack of knowledge. This hospital that my wife is at is a rehabilitation hospital. They don’t have MRI or even X-ray. They have all the latest equipment for prostheses people and are very good at teaching her to use her new leg. There LAN is over a cable network and when it goes down they have to call an outside company. I don’t know much about networking myself, so when I bought a router from Best Buy I paid them to come out to the house and set up my three computers and a wireless printer. Since I can fetch files from the other two computers from my main one on my router, I thought that maybe there was some easy way to get a file off of my wife’s computer when they have her in her room for medication.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
If all else fails with hardware setups - ask someone under 30 (as long as they can stop texting for 5 minutes and pay attention to your question). Thats the easiest way I get things done that is not a jobsite issue: drop off the equipment at the kids home in town, announce I will be picking up "whatever" at the Dairy Queen, return 30 minutes later and the device is setup / fixed / sharing / downloading / etc.

Good friend of ours carves the sockets for legs and arms on a CNC milling machine, interesting and purposeful work that is keeping her from being a starving artist.

Motorcycle buddy, that would be disastrous for me. I would leave with a better computer and a bigger belly. Can't resist those blizzard's

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
When five masked thugs attempted to rob a southern California pawn shop earlier this week, they expected it to be easy picking.
But the 65-year-old woman who owned the shop had a different idea. She scared them off by firing two rounds at the burglars with a handgun set aside for such occasions.
The attempted heist occurred Sunday at Continental Jewelry and Pawn Shop in Garden Grove, Calif., when the men walked into the store wearing masks

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:40
Eventually it will be like South Africa where the thugs expect the victim to be armed so they walk in shooting.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

If that’s the case in Canada then I might move to Canada, but as long as I live in the USA where all around me every single day there is violent crime then I guess I am going to have that knee jerk American paranoid attitude. I don’t know were some of you people live (outside of Canada) but I guess it a lot safer than where I live. I was born and brought up in Woonsocket, RI area, the crime was bad. 23 years ago I moved to Ocala, FL area. I said at least I will get away from the snow and the crime. How wrong I was. The crime was double of RI. Just recently a bunch of teens shot, killed, and burn the body of another teen because he broke up with his girlfriend a couple of miles from my house. I was right about the snow, but that was just a tradeoff. I traded snow for hurricanes, snakes, spiders and biting ants. <G>

Adam Caramon

Local time
I don’t know were some of you people live (outside of Canada) but I guess it a lot safer than where I live.

I live 1.5 miles outside of Detroit. I don't have that "knee jerk American paranoid attitude".

It really all comes down to culture, as the quoted article states. Some Americans simply cling to their guns and religion, as it has been said.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time

That police officer sounds like a complete nutjob. He should have his carrying permit and badge revoked. His reaction is not a normal reaction. Talk about paranoid! We don't need people like that serving and protecting.

In my very large city, I know what areas of town are dangerous to approach or be approached by strangers. I'm sure this is no different than any other city in the world. Anywhere else I will engage with friendly conversation at will without a feeling of paranoia or the need to protect myself.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I live 1.5 miles outside of Detroit. I don't have that "knee jerk American paranoid attitude".

It really all comes down to culture, as the quoted article states. Some Americans simply cling to their guns and religion, as it has been said.

I visited Detroit one time. Want the actual address? 3464 Cicotte Ave. Want the actual date Aug 8, 1997. Time approx. 2:30 pm, broad daylight. My pickup is parked 3 feet from side door of the RV. I had pulled in a half hour before. I looks out the door of the RV and here is a guy going thru the visor of my pickup. Austin, TX, actual address: 2613 Jones Rd. RV parked 5 feet front the front of the building. 2:00 Am vandals start throwing stones at the RV, smashed my windshield. My wife who is handicapped is inside terrified, could not see them to shoot. Kilgore, TX actual address: 2304 Stone Rd., 7:00 pm my pickup is in the parking lots. At 8:30 we finds that the car three spaces down from mine is broken into and valuables taken. Paranoid. Guilty as charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom