Gun laws do they work (2 Viewers)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:02
It is the lost of our liberty, and our form of government. Guns are just the beginning.

People on programming boards are generally interested in logic which is why this argument isn't gaining any traction for you.

Your argument is an example of the slippery slope fallacy. Link

You have zero proof that your assertion will inevitably occur but there is ample proof that it may not.

Another programming term is 'refactoring'. We look at things that can be improved and assess how we can achieve that improvement. What we don't do is refuse to consider adjustments because of a chance of a catastrophic end.

Perhaps if you think of the situation in programming terms you may better understand people's frustrations with your approach.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 00:02
People on programming boards are generally interested in logic which is why this argument isn't gaining any traction for you.

Your argument is an example of the slippery slope fallacy. Link

You have zero proof that your assertion will inevitably occur but there is ample proof that it may not.

Another programming term is 'refactoring'. We look at things that can be improved and assess how we can achieve that improvement. What we don't do is refuse to consider adjustments because of a chance of a catastrophic end.

Perhaps if you think of the situation in programming terms you may better understand people's frustrations with your approach.

Number 1: It is gaining traction. (fact) There are more people in the US joining the NRA, buying guns, and fighting the cause than ever before.
Number 2: (fact) If they take my guns away I have lost some of my liberty, and my way of life;
Number 3: (fact) If they take my guns away it is not an improvement in my life. (fact) I will feel less safe.
Number 4: (fact) the cities in the US that have the strictest gun laws have the highest homicides.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Number 1: It is gaining traction. (fact) There are more people in the US joining the NRA, buying guns, and fighting the cause than ever before.
Number 2: (fact) If they take my guns away I have lost some of my liberty, and my way of life;
Number 3: (fact) If they take my guns away it is not an improvement in my life. (fact) I will feel less safe.
Number 4: (fact) the cities in the US that have the strictest gun laws have the highest homicides.

Again you're jumping to absolutes, a classic example of the slippery slope fallacy. You interpret the current administration's gun control proposals as a total ban. This is a simple fabrication.

My response isn't even a stand for or against gun control but for proposals not to be twisted into something that they are not.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Again you're jumping to absolutes, a classic example of the slippery slope fallacy. You interpret the current administration's gun control proposals as a total ban. This is a simple fabrication.

My response isn't even a stand for or against gun control but for proposals not to be twisted into something that they are not.

I am at a loss??? I did not mention this administration. Which number line is fabrication?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I am at a loss??? I did not mention this administration. Which number line is fabrication?

You mentioned the NRA's cause, which is to reject the current administration's gun control proposals.

I think it disingenuous to pretend that is not what you are talking about.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:02
don't the administrations name D7A. Dan-cat is probably one of those that get a tingle up their leg every time his name is mentioned. lol

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
You mentioned the NRA's cause, which is to reject the current administration's gun control proposals.

I think it disingenuous to pretend that is not what you are talking about.

Well thanks for the compliment. You are giving me more credit than I deserve. My little pea brain can't think that far ahead. It doesn't matter to me who is trying to infringe on my liberty I am going to fight back. However you just did what you accused me of doing. You assumed that since I mention the NRA (great org. BTW) I was taking a pop shot at this administration. They are not the only ones that want to ban guns. Just on this thread, if I don't agree with them I am brain dead. I mention the NRA as (fact) that our position is not
losing traction, but as proof that we are gaining traction.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
don't the administrations name D7A. Dan-cat is probably one of those that get a tingle up their leg every time his name is mentioned. lol

Another jump to an absolute. Have you ever heard of a psychological condition called Black and White thinking?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
They are not the only ones that want to ban guns.

Good grief Dick, you are hard work. My point is, is that the current administration's proposals are NOT accurately described as "they want to ban guns". By describing it as such, you are twisting what is being proposed.

Just on this thread, if I don't agree with them I am brain dead.

No Dick, the insult stems from a frustration of you not understanding what you are arguing against.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:02
Another jump to an absolute. Have you ever heard of a psychological condition called Black and White thinking?

Yeah, it was a white guy that said this and he was on the TV

so much for black and white thinking.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Good grief Dick, you are hard work. My point is, is that the current administration's proposals are NOT accurately described as "they want to ban guns". By describing it as such, you are twisting what is being proposed.

No Dick, the insult stems from a frustration of you not understanding what you are arguing against.

Why do you keep bringing "This Administration" into the equation? I have not mention this administration. Do you deny that there are groups, besides this administration working in the US, yea the world that want total confiscation of citizenry guns?
What do you see or understand what I am arguing about?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
We in the US have a culture problem, Brian not a gun problem.

You know, this has been my argument from day 1. There's a reason that the UK and Switzerland both have MUCH lower violent crime rates, despite one more or less outlawing private ownership of guns and the other requiring it.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Dan-cat, you're not going to get anywhere with Bladerunner. He's one of those 'liberals are the epitome of all Evil and a threat to humanity' types. Black and white is the ONLY way he can think, coupled with 'you either agree with me or you want the USA destroyed'.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Dan-cat, you're not going to get anywhere with Bladerunner. He's one of those 'liberals are the epitome of all Evil and a threat to humanity' types. Black and white is the ONLY way he can think, coupled with 'you either agree with me or you want the USA destroyed'.
Yes, a few of his other posts have been along the lines of 'I was going to go on a picnic, but it's raining today. Happy now, Liberals?'

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Why do you keep bringing "This Administration" into the equation? I have not mention this administration.

You did. You said that they weren't the only ones who wanted to ban guns.

Do you deny that there are groups, besides this administration working in the US, yea the world that want total confiscation of citizenry guns?
What do you see or understand what I am arguing about?

I see that you agree with the NRA's stance on gun control, which funnily enough I'm assuming includes their response to the government's gun control proposals.

If this is actually not the case and you disagree with the NRA's stance on those proposals then please let me know. But everything you have said so far suggests that you don't and are simply being evasive.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Yeah I know, I thought it would be interesting to know if he was actually aware the condition existed but I got another trite, evasive response.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
You did. You said that they weren't the only ones who wanted to ban guns.

I see that you agree with the NRA's stance on gun control, which funnily enough I'm assuming includes their response to the government's gun control proposals.

If this is actually not the case and you disagree with the NRA's stance on those proposals then please let me know. But everything you have said so far suggests that you don't and are simply being evasive.

Nice try, but it's not going to work. My mentioning the administration was only in response to you accusing me of arguing against the present administration. I admirer you for trying however.

Of course you haven't even come close to answering my question. What do you believe or think that my position is. I know where I stand. Don't touch my guns. Evidently I haven't ariculate well as you seem to see some under lining motive. If you come to Florida stop by and say hello.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick7Access
We in the US have a culture problem, Brian not a gun problem.

Reply by Froth*
You know, this has been my argument from day 1. There's a reason that the UK and Switzerland both have MUCH lower violent crime rates, despite one more or less outlawing private ownership of guns and the other requiring it.

My response.
Is this any excuse for not tackling the issue, forget the bad guys, ie the professionals you cannot stop them getting what they want but then they are not after you. They are not the ones banging on Dick's RVP . What you need to do is prevent the nutcases who cause mayhem on the school campus or elsewhere getting hold of assault weapons, high calibre , or high capacity magazines.
The problem is every gun supporter on this thread reads control as ban.

Sorry Blade I did say I wouldn't post again.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I never said not to tackle the issue - there are certain aspects of gun control I agree with (requiring background checks for ALL sales instead of most of them, allowing smartguns to exist, etc) as well as aspects I don't (like the pushing for bans of even single-shot AR's).

My stance, though, is that gun control is a bandaid. The PROBLEM is how the US looks at violence in general as more acceptable than does the rest of the world. We will never get gun-based violence under control as long as that is the case.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to Call of Duty. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom