How as the forum helped you, and Who has influenced you the most! (1 Viewer)

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Today, 14:31
MrsGorilla said:
I'm guessing he means he's only going to flame those who flame him first from now on?

Thanks, it's embaressing when I have my blonde moments...*giggles*

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 13:31
It's allright. I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by this:

jsanders said:
Subtle and sweet; but still the same effect.

in response to this:

MrsGorilla said:
It goes without saying that the word "venom" has a bit of a negative connotation with it. Why must replies be filled with venom? It's rarely constructive.

I need some enlightening myself. :confused:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
I'm guessing he means he's only going to flame those who flame him first from now on?

Yes,

There are plenty here that work diligently to try to make me look stupid.

And sometimes, I don't need their help.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:31
selenau837 said:
I guess I'm having a blonde moment, because I'm still not sure....:D

It means you deserve his venom a little bit but not as much as other people. So you've been given a lower priority on his list of people who 'live by the sword' that require his venom. Delusions of grandeur :rolleyes:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:31
jsanders said:

You need to stop providing these people with the motivation by making offensive, sexist remarks.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
It's allright. I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by this:

in response to this:

I need some enlightening myself. :confused:

Hey Cindy,
I meant that you were making a point of condescending to me without being overly obvious.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
dan-cat said:
It means you deserve his venom a little bit but not as much as other people. So you've been given a lower priority on his list of people who 'live by the sword' that require his venom. Delusions of grandeur :rolleyes:

So today; we are making a point of jsanders using improper argument techniques, and in the process using similar ones.

How does your referring to me as neurotic, empower your position?

Other then you happen to be on the, fashionable, flame jsanders bandwagon.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
dan-cat said:
You need to stop providing these people with the motivation by making offensive, sexist remarks.

Sexist remarks?

So we are now confined to ignore the differences between men and women in order to form a more perfect society?

We are forced to observe this behavior at work to quell any potential litigation, but fortunately we can still think and act as free people.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
jsanders said:
Hey Cindy,
I meant that you were making a point of condescending to me without being overly obvious.

What about what I said was condescending? My statement was simply that the word venom has an obviously negative connotation and I don't understand why you think your replies must be filled with it as it will just draw more of the same. How is this condescending towards you? If you took it that way, then I apologize, but I would like to understand why you think that.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Here is the post in question
MrsGorilla said:
It goes without saying that the word "venom" has a bit of a negative connotation with it. Why must replies be filled with venom? It's rarely constructive. :rolleyes:

MrsGorilla said:
What about what I said was condescending? My statement was simply that the word venom has an obviously negative connotation and I don't understand why you think your replies must be filled with it as it will just draw more of the same. How is this condescending towards you? If you took it that way, then I apologize, but I would like to understand why you think that.

In that you singled me out to demonstrate the futility of “flaming” someone’s politics. When in reality this forum is deluged by that very activity on a daily basis.

So why am I all of a sudden being singled out.

Because I made the mistake some time ago of lashing out at Sel's views on the pay scale for doctors.

A discussion that Fofa, Rich, Ken, Col, Kraj, or any other male, with the possible exception of Dan, would have shrugged off without thinking twice.

So in an attempt to come to Sel defenses you use that phrase to make it look like I should grow up and learn how to speak properly.

Last edited:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
jsanders said:
Sexist remarks?

So we are now confined to ignore the differences between men and women in order to form a more perfect society?

There are many ways to acknowledge the differences between men and women without being sexist about it. I have read some comments from you that I would deem to be sexist, but I ignore them because I know you can't mean me. ;)

jsanders said:
We are forced to observe this behavior at work to quell any potential litigation, but fortunately we can still think and act as free people.

So, if you weren't "forced" to observe this behavior at work, what would you do differently? Would you treat women differently than men? Yes, people can still think and act as free people thank God, so in private you are welcome to treat the women in your life as lesser beings, if that is what you so desire. I really don't think in your heart that you would be that way, but you do come across that way sometimes...

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
There are many ways to acknowledge the differences between men and women without being sexist about it. I have read some comments from you that I would deem to be sexist, but I ignore them because I know you can't mean me. ;)

So, if you weren't "forced" to observe this behavior at work, what would you do differently? Would you treat women differently than men? Yes, people can still think and act as free people thank God, so in private you are welcome to treat the women in your life as lesser beings, if that is what you so desire. I really don't think in your heart that you would be that way, but you do come across that way sometimes...

The funny thing is that I actually hold women as typically smarter then most men. The differences I was referring to was that women tend to hold on to things that are said longer than men.

Men tend to compartmentalize more than women.

So if anyone has gotten the idea that I feel women are inferior, I can assure you it is from my lack of writing skills.

KenHigg

Local time
MrsGorilla said:

Ok... This is turning into a lynching here... All of us (guys anyway :rolleyes: ) have gone a bit over the edge around here and Joe's no different... I think everyone is nit - picking the issues a bit...:cool:

Peace and love for all - :) :) :)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
jsanders said:
In that you singled me out to demonstrate the futility of “flaming” someone’s politics. When in reality this forum is deluged by that very activity on a daily basis.

The fact that others indulge in the same behavior doesn't make it right, not in my book. If you've ever read any of my posts you would know that I have said some of these same things to them. I've had rather "spirited" discussions with many of the forum members here and I try (not always successfully) not to throw insults about. I always feel bad about it afterwards and offer up an apology and I've always remained on friendly terms with everyone here. There is always room for good debate but there is far too much name calling and there are far too many insults slung about by many members of the forum, not just you.

jsanders said:
So why am I all of a sudden being singled out.

See above.

jsanders said:
Because I made the mistake some time ago of lashing out at Sel's views on the pay scale for doctors.

Perhaps because of the way you have handled things. Your very terminology of "lashing out" suggests that you mean to be aggressive and insulting to other members that offer up a differing viewpoint, whether or not they have said anything insulting to you first.

jsanders said:
A discussion that Fofa, Rich, Ken, Col, Kraj, or any other male, with the possible exception of Dan, would have shrugged off without thinking twice.

Because they're men, or because they would realize that you're just being insulting and shrugged it off? I can't speak for them. But I am a woman and don't appreciate the inference that because I am a woman that I would be emotional and unworthy of debating topics with a man, a theme which seems to abound in your posts.

jsanders said:
So in an attempt to come to Sel defenses you use that phrase to make it look like I should grow up and learn how to speak properly.

I think my original point is still valid. If you spit venom out, you'll get more back in your eye. Will that make you feel better or worse? Maybe you're one of those people that likes that. But there are many forum members here that can hold good debates without having to "lash out" or "eviscerate" or "direct venom" at anyone. That was the point I was trying to make.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Because they're men, or because they would realize that you're just being insulting and shrugged it off? I can't speak for them. But I am a woman and don't appreciate the inference that because I am a woman that I would be emotional and unworthy of debating topics with a man, a theme which seems to abound in your posts.

Why don’t you do a search on the word women or woman or any other feminine word and let me know where I said anything negative about women in the 1200 post that I have made.

Abound?

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
jsanders said:
The funny thing is that I actually hold women as typically smarter then most men. The differences I was referring to was that women tend to hold on to things that are said longer than men.

Well, you'll get no argument from me there. I agree that this is probably true and is a difference of the sexes. (I mean the holding onto things part)

jsanders said:
Men tend to compartmentalize more than women.

Maybe this is true, maybe not. Do you mean in regards to feelings, thoughts, or what? :confused:

jsanders said:
So if anyone has gotten the idea that I feel women are inferior, I can assure you it is from my lack of writing skills.

Fair enough. Like I said, I didn't really think that's how you are but you do come across like that at times. I know it probably has something to do with the fact that the forum is a bit impersonal, i.e. it's hard to get the emotion or intent across with the written word sometimes.

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
But then Col & Rich would run out of anything to post about us Americans... :D

Christ, we've got years of ammunition left yet and that's without taking Bush into account.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
jsanders said:
Why don’t you do a search on the word women or woman or any other feminine word and let me know where I said anything negative about women in the 1200 post that I have made.

Abound?

How about this:

jsanders said:

While not outright negative, you state that the male members of the forum would have shrugged your comments off, which insinuates that a woman would not be willing or capable of shrugging your comments off. I don't agree with that. Some people do take things more personally than others, male or female. I know that when I first came here I took things more personally than I do now. I've been here long enough now to have a bit of a feeling for the different personalities on this forum, and I no longer take much of it to heart (usually anyway ;) )

Now see, I feel we are having a nice discussion about this now without being insulting to each other. At least, I hope I haven't said anything insulting to you, and if I have then I apologize. :D

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Yes,

That's something that doesn't need much help from us you insensitive swine!
You should know that the gentler sex need a compassionate, caring and understanding approach, take some lessons :mad: :p :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom