In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . . (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 16:27
Well, I know better than to walk in flamebait, but I can't resist, so make it crisp, please! Hold the mayo!

Yes, rascism is a serious problem. It is so unfortunate that the Civil Rights movement has been largely spat on and dismissed in favor of "group equality". It is because of Affirmative Actions, Equal Employment Opportunity, War on Drugs, racial quotas, and so many things promising to eliminiate racism by promoting group equality has ruined everyone all around.

The fact is that nobody is created equal, equipped with equal abilities. However, in eye of law, every individual is equal to other peer, and that should be the sole yardstick. The membership of individual WRT race, religion, and social standing is totally irrelevant. The fact is that every time we try to equalize a group's perceived or real social wants, we are perpetuating the racism.

Not until we go back to the Civil Rights movement, which was all about re-claiming the *individual* equality, demanding that *individual* be equal in the eye of law, with *no* treatments for *any* one else, the racisim isn't going away anytime soon.

Oh, yeah... and quit playing the race card. Let's talk about merits, mmmkay?

This is from the person who probably knows more about this on a personal level than any of us will ever understand.

Well said, Banana. I never liked the idea of mixing race into this debate.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:27
Well, I know better than to walk in flamebait, but I can't resist, so make it crisp, please! Hold the mayo!

Yes, rascism is a serious problem. It is so unfortunate that the Civil Rights movement has been largely spat on and dismissed in favor of "group equality". It is because of Affirmative Actions, Equal Employment Opportunity, War on Drugs, racial quotas, and so many things promising to eliminiate racism by promoting group equality has ruined everyone all around.

The fact is that nobody is created equal, equipped with equal abilities. However, in eye of law, every individual is equal to other peer, and that should be the sole yardstick. The membership of individual WRT race, religion, and social standing is totally irrelevant. The fact is that every time we try to equalize a group's perceived or real social wants, we are perpetuating the racism.

Not until we go back to the Civil Rights movement, which was all about re-claiming the *individual* equality, demanding that *individual* be equal in the eye of law, with *no* treatments for *any* one else, the racisim isn't going away anytime soon.

Oh, yeah... and quit playing the race card. Let's talk about merits, mmmkay?

I would actually say it a little differently. The point should not be equality per se. The goal should be equality of OPPORTUNITY. And that is where we as a country have failed. When 20% of children live in poverty, and many more than that don't have access to basic medical care or a decent education, then we have failed. You can't rectify that failure by then giving those children some sort of make up advantage later on.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 14:27
I would actually say it a little differently. The point should not be equality per se. The goal should be equality of OPPORTUNITY. And that is where we as a country have failed. When 20% of children live in poverty, and many more than that don't have access to basic medical care or a decent education, then we have failed. You can't rectify that failure by then giving those children some sort of make up advantage later on.

Sorry, but that's kinda beyond anyone's control. Should I tax the newborn because he was born to a wealthy family and give it to the newborn born to poor family?

It's really up to every and each person to make with what they have. We can at least guarantee that the law will treat them equally, but beyond that... Life's just not fair. Suck it up.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
It is not a matter of "not playing the race card". The point is that the public perception of Obama is inextricably intertwined with his race, and pretending that race is not an issue in this campaign doesn't change the fact that it is.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, but that's kinda beyond anyone's control. Should I tax the newborn because he was born to a wealthy family and give it to the newborn born to poor family?

It's really up to every and each person to make with what they have. We can at least guarantee that the law will treat them equally, but beyond that... Life's just not fair. Suck it up.

It is really not beyond our control, and we already agree with this in principle - that is why we have foster care, that is why we have public schools, and that is why we have food stamps. You don't get to pick your parents, but the promise of America is that you can do anything you want to do regardless of your background as long as you work hard.

Local time
Today, 16:27
And to set you straight, McCain & Palin has gone on the record saying that bailout is sadly necessary.

I had not heard that as of yesterday afternoon. So they've come over to my side.

As I said before, there's no real difference between McCain & Obama.

You're probably closer to the truth on this than anyone wants to admit.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:27
But you allow the poor to pick up the tab for the "Wall Street" mafia:confused:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:27
You're saying John McCain read what I said when both you and Rich failed to? Now how did that happen?
He's looking for all the support he can get in his wanting to extend the war of terror to Iran

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
George said: I don't know of anybody in any country on any side of the debate who wants that.

Alisa said: Except John McCain.

redneckgeek

Local time
Today, 17:27
But you allow the poor to pick up the tab for the "Wall Street" mafia:confused:

Allow?!?!?

I can't speak for banana, but I certainly wrote my representatives to tell them I don't support the bailout. The only other thing I can do is take my guns down to Washington. I'm not likely to do that unless I have about 10000 others with me.:rolleyes:

sandy6078

Take a deep breath
Local time
Today, 17:27
Let's talk about fairness. My daughter who graduated 5th in her class with a 3.998 GPA could not get a decent scholarship to pay for her college education. Shame on her father and me for not providing her with the money. Well we told our children all along we would not pay for their college, we would help. We told our children that with good grades scholarships were available. WRONG. Suzannah was given a 3,000 a year scholarship from the university she chose to attend. That did not even begin to cover her expenses. During the honors banquet scholarships were handed out by the academic booster club. The first 4 student each received a scholarship, my daughter was skipped over and the last scholarship was given to the 6th ranked student who already had a full ride (because of his father's workplace). Two of my daughter's good friends both Hispanic were given full ride scholarships books, housing everything. Neither student had a high GPA. One flunked out the first year, waited a year and is now going to another university scott free. The other ended last year with a .01 GPA.

By the way she is currently going to a 2 year comminity college paying for it in her own and then will finish her nursing degree at a 4 year university. AND she has a 4.0 GPA. Why did she switch? She decided she did not want the burden of the loans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom