ISBN scanning (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:40
I would like to enhance my Access library app to lookup ISBN's after scanning barcodes. Can anyone recommend a wireless hand held scanner for ~ $100. Less is good. More is OK if necessary. I don't care if I have to scan into excel first but a batch mode and/or Bluetooth connection is required. It looks like the scanner should be able to handle 1d 2d and qr type codes to be most flexible.

That takes care of new stuff. Then I need a way to lookup all the ISBNs that are already in the database but don't necessarily have full information.
Thanks

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 05:40
That link produces an error for me, 1020, saying it is protecting itself from online attacks?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The link works fine for me. Lots of hand held, bluetooth enabled barcode scanners for less than $100 with 4star or better reviews on Amazon.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 05:40
Hmm,
I was on my tablet first and now my laptop.?
Cannot even be as I am in the UK as it works for Dave?
Oops read that wrong :( , perhaps because of a UK ip address?

Perhaps it is my Virgin ip address?
1633608808272.png

Attachments

• 1633608477824.png
    1633608477824.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks. I was hoping someone had personal experience so I could ask questions.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:40
I used both the traditional wired handheld scanners and the mini Bluetooth scanner pictured below.

1633646015636.png

We used the mini for inventory control at remote locations such as school sites. We could scan 9 schools a year with an additional 9 schools the following year for a total of 18 sites. The district owned 40,000 plus assets over $500.00 that needed to be scanned including land and vehicles.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks. Is there a batch mode where the scanner collects the barcodes and you upload them later or does the scan go directly to an application? If it goes to an app, does the record automatically advance after the scan? I don't want to have to bring the books to the computer. I want to scan them where they are so batch mode is fine. I don't even mind if I have to upload to Excel and then import.

Is the device rechargeable?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:40
Is there a batch mode where the scanner collects the barcodes and you upload them later or does the scan go directly to an application?
In my experience, there was no "storage" when you pull the trigger it went directly to the open application.
does the record automatically advance after the scan?
Yes, you can configure that both with the scanner configuration and with Access as you already know.
Is the device rechargeable?
Yes, they are rechargeable. The mini needs to be paired to the "device" usually a laptop. We paired 2 mini's per laptop so there would be no interruptions. They can go several hours each with heavy use.

Also, you can download configuration sheets from the manufacture, there are many examples but I just pasted one.

1633709031734.png

One side note they have about a 20' unobstructed line of sight, we did have some success shooting through thin walls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom