ODBC dataline to .FDB (1 Viewer)

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:08
Hi friends

I have been accessing foxPro .dbf (table) with the normal ODBC drivers given in win7 or xpwin.

Recently i come across .fdb, i presume it is FoxPro database. For a quick leap, can the link be done from access 03 using ODBC. Are the drivers availiable from in the standard window package or we need to down load?

I read somewhere the foxpro database is .dbc, if so then how to ODBC access to an .fdb
:cool:

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Hi guys

Finally got the FireBird ODBC working that requires also a link to fbclient.dll and the FireBird Server service started.

Just a question:
I read that the "Database files must always be on the local drive of Firebird server". If i try to ODBC to a .FDB in an shared folder of an external PC, connection failed. If that is really true, then i cannot build an msAccess front end with a shared .fdb in a server or mapped pc.folder (peer2peer).

Did i missed something? Is there a fix. Appreciate help.

MORE FINDINGS:

An ODBC DSN was set up as dsnName using driver of FireBird ODBC.
Next try to do a refreshLink (3 lines below), it failed. (all in 64bit). Testing connection from ODBC, connection worked.

There was no problem when i did on a pc running 32 bit ODBC & 32 bit FireBird

Set tdf = CurrentDB().TableDefs(table1))
tdf.Connect = "ODBC;UID=user;PWD=123;DSN=dsnName
tdf.RefreshLink

:banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 13:08
Microsoft has abused Foxpro users horribly. At a government agency, they had several replicated FoxPro databases to run the Air for the Environmental compliance. I had integrated it with MS Access connected to SQL Server.
One weekend, secretly and undocumented, Microsoft added the death of the working ODBC Foxpro driver into some Windows update. This basically shut down the environmental efforts.

Given my limited resources back then, I think my solution was to link tables from SQL Server into Foxpro. Then create views on SQL Server for MS Access.
If memory serves, the efficiency was not that great. Queries were not that efficient and had to be re-written. The data structure on Foxpro was very simple. Hardly any joined tables.
Realizing this isn't what you were looking for as an optional solution, realize that Foxpro has continued to be marginalized by Microsoft. Moving the data into SQL Server might be the best solution. of course,
Foxpro base will complain about the existing forms, macro's, reports and views rewrite.
This becomes a business decision. Does an organization plan a painful time or do they wait until a random event that Microsoft introduces?

A group called codemag claims they have a free vfpconversion analysis tool.
The advertised claim is the tool can help people make the conversion. Of course they also offer assistance for a fee. There are probably others too that offer this service.

I attended the last MS FoxPro Users group meeting in our region about 9 years ago.
The problem mentioned above created the need to keep some experts available. It use to have around 100 dues paying members. They created a non-profit to take donations and manage prizes. The last meeting had six of us. The retired president called to tell us to attend so the club could officially distribute all the prizes and cash as required for a non-profit.
While there was nothing "foxpro" to be given away, I scored Microsoft Office and SQL Server enterprise software and much, much more that night. We called it a wake. We will neither confirm or deny the presence of excellent Scotch during the ceremony.

Please let everyone know if you find a solution. The Internet has many post that share your frustration.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Rx_

I had a go at FireBird which is has extension .fdb, hence it is not foxpro.

I have used ODBC foxpro link for tables. There are some issues with reading some table because of datatype issues. This can be bypassed by viewing the table using simple select query.

I install the driver using 915,968 VFPODBC.msi on xpwin.32bit without any major problem. But i just found that it can be installed in win7.64bit. This however be resolved by running the 32bit version of ODBC by running ODBCad32.exe at WOW wherein we can see all the 32bit ODBC drivers.

I hope this is of use to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom