Oh the Misery (3 Viewers)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 14:20
I think the strategy is lost on fans of simpler minded sports, like hockey, basketball, and soccer.
Which are all basically the same game; lots of tactics but no real strategy.
But still not as complex as Chess or Cricket:)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 06:20
I think the strategy is lost on fans of simpler minded sports, like hockey, basketball, and soccer.

Can you illustrate some of this strategy missing from other sports but found in AF.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Well O.K. you do have one or two good, or should I say mad, speedway riders, but it's not that popular in the US:eek:

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:20
Can you illustrate some of this strategy missing from other sports but found in AF.

I think he was referring to play calling. Deciding what type of play to run has tremendous effects on both sides of the ball. If you can keep the defense guessing, you will do well. Most other sports don't have play calling the way football does.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time

They all have tactics, as I said before.

The difference that makes it strategic, instead of tactical, may actually be the huddle.

The nature of the breaks in play, allow the captains to keep control of the game.

Whereas in those other games the other team members automatically (tactically) line up to support the ball (puck) or to receive a pass from the bearer.

In American Football there is more freedom in the method of ball carry. Offensive teams can run or pass and many variations of those methods are available. So the strategy is to use one of those tactics to capitalize on the other team’s weaknesses, instead of outplaying them.

I realize that all sports play on opponents weaknesses. But in football (AF) it is absolutely essential to continue to see the big picture.

In truth, it seems to be a fine line between tactics and strategy, but if you spend much time watching AF the difference will become more obvious.

My earlier quip was merely to get a conversation going; I was in no way attempting to denigrate any other sport, or its fans.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I think he was referring to play calling. Deciding what type of play to run has tremendous effects on both sides of the ball. If you can keep the defense guessing, you will do well. Most other sports don't have play calling the way football does.
You are correct.

statsman

Local time
In AF, the quarterback also has the option to audible. That is, call a different play at the line than was called in the huddle.

For example, the play called in the huddle was to be a run to the right. When the teams line up, the quarterback notices that the defence is set up to specifically stop that play. He can "audible" to his team to run an entirely different play.

Quarterbacks will generally have a short list of 8-10 plays that they can audible to. They will also throw in an occasional fake audible, just to keep the defence guessing.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Dallas Cowbows 7 - Washington Redskins 6.

Those poor little girls just can't seem to find the stadium. Not that Dallas was there either.

I only watched 5 minutes and decided to clean the house instead.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time

You obviously haven't ever seen the skill of Pele, Maradona, or Ronaldo, who with just a sutble move of their feet, body, arms can send a defender or defenders completly the wrong way and surge through to score a terrific goal..

Watching that is not only exciting, but you have nothing but admiration for the skill of the worlds beautiful game... :cool:

KenHigg

Local time
Dallas Cowbows 7 - Washington Redskins 6.

Those poor little girls just can't seem to find the stadium. Not that Dallas was there either.

I only watched 5 minutes and decided to clean the house instead.

...and the birds seem to be going south again...:mad:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
You obviously haven't ever seen the skill of Pele, Maradona, or Ronaldo, who with just a sutble move of their feet, body, arms can send a defender or defenders completly the wrong way and surge through to score a terrific goal..

Watching that is not only exciting, but you have nothing but admiration for the skill of the worlds beautiful game... :cool:

No doubt; but what you are describing is tactics, not strategy.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 06:20
No doubt; but what you are describing is tactics, not strategy.

You have yet to describe really what strategy is as opposed to tactics - except that its the ability to call plays on the field.

Most sports have plays called dont they? AF is hardly unique.

ie Soccer has set pieces, where previuosly rehearsed plays will be performed - . (Beckhams Othello being one of my favourites)

The game doesn't solely consist of this however, cos open play then resumes normally, rather than AF, were another set play usually follows straight away.

Last edited:

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
You have yet to describe really what strategy is as opposed to tactics - except that its the ability to call plays on the field.

Most sports have plays called dont they? AF is hardly unique.

ie Soccer has set pieces, where previuosly rehearsed plays will be performed - . (Beckhams Othello being one of my favourites)

The game doesn't solely consist of this however, cos open play then resumes normally, rather than AF, were another set play usually follows straight away.

Well put Paul..

It is not called the worlds beautiful game for nothing.... never heard AF called this :rolleyes:

Anyways prefer Rugby to AF, Rugby is a mans sport, AF is for nancies with all that padding and armour...

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
You guys are allowing your prejudices to cloud your vision. We’re not talking aesthetics (which by the way is subjective).

We have soccer here, we have basketball here, we have hockey here. None of them have strategy.

We provided you a description of strategy and you choose to ignore it. I’m sorry I can’t help you with that.
Describing how much you love soccer has nothing to do with understanding the difference between tactics and strategy.
There is considerably more thinking in football than any “ball in the goal” type sports, that doesn’t make football better; it just means you have to think STRATEGICALLY to be good at it.
But part of why you don’t enjoy it as much, is because you do not understand it. Otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
You guys are allowing your prejudices to cloud your vision. We’re not talking aesthetics (which by the way is subjective).

We have soccer here, we have basketball here, we have hockey here. None of them have strategy.

We provided you a description of strategy and you choose to ignore it. I’m sorry I can’t help you with that.
Describing how much you love soccer has nothing to do with understanding the difference between tactics and strategy.
There is considerably more thinking in football than any “ball in the goal” type sports, that doesn’t make football better; it just means you have to think STRATEGICALLY to be good at it.
But part of why you don’t enjoy it as much, is because you do not understand it. Otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
I think you are possiblely deluding yourself by suggesting that AF is more strategic than other sports. It seems to me as an observer that much of what you are claiming is strategy is actually tactics. It is clearly a tactical move to call a certain play at a particular point in the match. After all the difference between tactics and strategy is similar to the difference between weather and climate.

Strategy is really what you plan to do and tactics is what you actually do.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
In AF, the quarterback also has the option to audible. That is, call a different play at the line than was called in the huddle.

For example, the play called in the huddle was to be a run to the right. When the teams line up, the quarterback notices that the defence is set up to specifically stop that play. He can "audible" to his team to run an entirely different play.

Quarterbacks will generally have a short list of 8-10 plays that they can audible to. They will also throw in an occasional fake audible, just to keep the defence guessing.
An excellent example of a tactical switch.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I think you are possiblely deluding yourself by suggesting that AF is more strategic than other sports. It seems to me as an observer that much of what you are claiming is strategy is actually tactics. It is clearly a tactical move to call a certain play at a particular point in the match. After all the difference between tactics and strategy is similar to the difference between weather and climate.

Strategy is really what you plan to do and tactics is what you actually do.

It's all about whose in charge. The quarterback is in a stategic position to guide the other players. He's generally smarter than the others and then you have the coaches (like generals) sending in plays...Strategic.

Tactics grouped means strategy.

I stick with the first part, if you haven't grown up with it you most likely cant get it.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I watch soccer all the time on Setanta.

The coach seems to be doing nothing but calling plays throughout the game. :confused:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
It's all about whose in charge. The quarterback is in a stategic position to guide the other players. He's generally smarter than the others and then you have the coaches (like generals) sending in plays...Strategic.

Tactics grouped means strategy.

I stick with the first part, if you haven't grown up with it you most likely cant get it.
Cheap abuse is not helpful. If I accept what you say then Rugby is just as strategic as American Football. The Stand-Off is as much a play controller as a quarterback (they play in very similar positions) and of course in all top level sport the coaches have very similar responsibilities.

I still think that the choice of an individual play as tactical rather than strategic.

I suspect that you as a knowledgable AF fan don't understand the other sports well enough to see the same features in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom