Oh the Misery (4 Viewers)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 09:26
Yeah that’s right Ken.
Laugh it up.
Now I see why you have collected so many enemies.
Georgia Tech beating Virginia Tech.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 06:26
Yeah that’s right Ken.
Laugh it up.

I've missed something - or a couple of things clearly.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I've missed something - or a couple of things clearly.

Ken is a big fan of Georgia Tech.

And his team gave my Hokeys (Virginia Tech) a little trashing last Saturday.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I presume this is American Football?

Good luck in the superbowl, if you get there.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I presume this is American Football?

Good luck in the superbowl, if you get there.

Actually Virginia Tech and Geogia Tech are Colleges.

(Usually they only let Pro teams in the superbowl.)

Mostly I was just busting on my buddy Ken.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Actually Virginia Tech and Geogia Tech are Colleges.

(Usually they only let Pro teams in the superbowl.)

Mostly I was just busting on my buddy Ken.

In that case I hope they all get their degrees.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Perhaps someone can tell me the place of college teams in the US.

ie - the quality is lower than the NFL , but the stadiums are bigger? How does that work?

KenHigg

Local time
Yeah that’s right Ken.
Laugh it up.

Sorry - Joe... I'm a little slow these days - I had a chance to go to that game... :(

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Perhaps someone can tell me the place of college teams in the US.

ie - the quality is lower than the NFL , but the stadiums are bigger? How does that work?

Generally the best from the college teams go to the pro teams. Starting at High School the American football program is a training and elimination program for professional ball.

KenHigg

Local time
And a footnote on the stadiums - Most college stadiums have bench type seating where as pro-sport stadiums have individual seats. Which I've always felt is the reason you can cram more people in a college stadium :p

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Generally the best from the college teams go to the pro teams. Starting at High School the American football program is a training and elimination program for professional ball.

Why is it so popular then, some of the crowds beat NFL dont they? Doesn't seem to make sense?

I suppose some big college town may have a huge college team and no NFL side - so the biggest draw around would be the college team - does that about explain it?

Whats the admission pricing like, compared to NFL.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Why is it so popular then, some of the crowds beat NFL dont they? Doesn't seem to make sense?

I know for some people they like college football over pro because the players don't get paid. There's something special about watching a kid play ball and knowing that he is doing it out of love for the game. Sure he wants to go to the pros, but a lot don't end up there.

Also, anyone who has ever attended a college that has a football team has a bit of sentimental attachment to their former college.

And lastly, there's also something to be said about watching a player develop from a youth to an all-star pro athlete. I hear conversations from relatives saying "I remember watching his first day of college ball" and they're talking about a 10+ year pro.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Whats the admission pricing like, compared to NFL.

I believe it is cheaper. I go to South Florida, and I can get a student ticket for free though I have to sit in the student section. I may go to the Louisville game with my girl friend. She found $5 tickets, but they are sponsored by some company, which is why they are so cheap. She is not a student, so my free ride is no good. :(

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
I find that the Canadian Interuniversity Sports football has more sense of sportsmanship then the professional football players display... being more affordable to attend is also a bonus!
McGill Redmen are the best team - incase anyone was wondering...

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Any thoughts on USF upsetting WVU? I wish I was watching it, but I went to Busch Gardens for Halloween Horror Nights. Perhaps BJ Daniels can give us something to look forward to for the next three years.

statsman

Local time
For some reason American Colleges got into the professional football business over 70 years ago. Yes, I know the fans will say the players are amateurs, but they're not. They are all being paid cash money to attend University. The star players also get cars, clothes, college jobs for their families and off campus apartments. All of this payola is against the rules. The governing body of US College football investigates over 100 Colleges each year. Both the schools and the players are well trained in hiding these transgressions.
Some colleges are better than others, insisting that the players attend class, maintain a certain grade point average and actually try to get a degree. Many of the big time college football teams (the ones even Col has heard of) don't care one way or the other as long as the star players stay out of jail and available for football. A player has four years of playing eligibility. Once the four years are up, these schools simply pat the player on the head, kick him out the door and replace him with another.
The reason for this is simple, BIG MONEY. The largest sports stadia in North America are owned by the Universities. Ticket money helps but the real money comes from TV and from the post season bowl games. The big bowls pay teams millions to play in their game. Only the best teams play in the big bowls.
Now, before I get carried away with my own rant, the money the football team earns is returned to the University. The profits from the football program supports the other sports programs at the University and also goes for academic scholarships.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom