one db works, a copied version doesn't. driving me nuts. (1 Viewer)

yabai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:35
hi,

i made an attendance db for work and got it to work. i then copied it and made two more for years 2 and 3. Years 1 and 3 work perefectly but for some reason the year 2 db won't allow me to write the data.

this is driving me nuts as i have already spent a few hours putting the students in and their course selections. i've tried making the forms again and as soon as i use a joint sub form to get the students first name the problem occurs. i've looked at the properties of the forms and they allow edits etc..

if anyone is feeling kind and has a spare moment, could you let me know why it doesn't work.

cheers

Attachments

• year1.zip
    188.1 KB · Views: 86
  • year2.zip
    200.1 KB · Views: 85

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Why have a new database for each year?:confused:

Col

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
have you changed any table names etc, when you copied/cloned the dbs. is it a split fe/be. there must be something

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
had a look now, i can update it - which bits can't you update, for example?

yabai

Registered User.
Local time
hi there.

i can't update the students attendance. i set up a row source "Present";"Absent";"Holiday";"Other" for each week and when you select one of these it doesn't accept it.It just leaves the cell blank. This data is in form: Attendance_tbl Subform3

did you manage to get this part working? i've looked at it so long now and can't see the problem.

cheers
mark

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
right,

i believe you have some corruptions in your data, which is affecting access.

if you look at your attendance table, and sort both the first two column A-Z, and then Z-A, you will see a load of invalid entries. delete these, and the problem appears to go away.

I also think you should also have a primary key in this table, structured on the first 2 columns (courseid AND studentid, and make this unique - if that makes sense) at the moment you cant do this, because there are some duplicates.

Incidentally, I can't understand why you can't see the courseid column in the datasheet subform.

yabai

Registered User.
Local time
hi gemma,

thanks for the advice. i have removed the invalid entries but it still doesn't work for me. sorry - i am not so good at access. would you be able to post the file you got working?

if you are too busy i understand.

thanks
mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom