Onedrive/Google drive Hosting. (1 Viewer)

pekajo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:34
Hi,
I have been playing around with MS Access during lockdown (Victoria Australia) and have just discovered that you can set your Onedrive and Google drive to also be hosting.
What this then give you is from Access you can directly export what you like to your Local drive and then use a domainname to access it.
This method has opened up a lot of options now for Access and websites.
This is my inspiration on Youtube

Peter

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:34
Perhaps I'm missing something but why would you want to do that? Except perhaps if there is only one user?

You download a copy of access (back end?) to your local drive, make some changes, then what? upload the file? If you did that it would overwrite any changes made in the meantime by other users.

Can you point to a time in the video where the speaker is referring specifically to access?

It is well documented that one drive, google drive and similar do not provide the right environment for access. Perhaps things have changed

pekajo

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,
I am so sorry I should have explained a bit more clearly.
I have a database that produces all the reports, excel and html etc but had no way of getting them onto the net easily for ease of distribution, at present it is via attachments to emails.

By using this method you can export them to your OneDrive and have an html page pointing to them.
Using this method it is easy to update web information at will with no ftp etc.

This method is not for access it's self just the reporting.
Peter
Once again sorry about the lack of information.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:34
I'm not sure that even distributing a report only database this way is safe. Due to the way Access works, the FE ALWAYS gets updated when you open it. Confirm this yourself by watching the file date change. Therefore, if someone accidentally updates the FE, that change will get put back in the cloud and downloaded to the next user.

This is only safe, if you have a way of marking the file non-updateable so that the cloud service NEVER overlays the FE with a changed version except when YOU do it.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:34
think the OP is saying for distributing reports generated from access to excel and html files can be created directly on one drive rather than creating locally and then emailing.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I get that but I can't tell if he wants to distribute the database itself and that is what I am pointing out as dangerous. Otherwise, I don't understand the question. The OP says he can export to the cloud drive from Access so what is wrong with doing just that?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Time for the OP to clarify the requirement.

eatraas

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:34
Nice video, thanks. Perhaps with a next video mind the intonation please.

pekajo

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,
I did not think that this would cause such an issue.
As Pat above has stated this is not about Access. Forget Access, I put this post on this forum as a lot of businesses use access to run their business. As part of this process they may need to get information from Access out to the 'field' and in many cases it's via the internet website. At present a lot of files, excel etc, have to be manually uploaded to their website. This concept short cuts this process to a click of a button to export the required report/excel/html to the onedrive where it is linked to their website.

'The OP says he can export to the cloud drive from Access so what is wrong with doing just that?'
OneDrive/GoogleDrive and hosting,(both 'Cloud'), are two totally different things, if you do not understand the difference you will need to talk to a web developer. This method can connect the two.

Hope that clears up this concept.
Peter
PS the YouTube video was not mine just found it on YouTube.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
@pekajo. What timestamp within the video shows the inspiration/revelation you're referring to about hosting? Thanks.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Not to sure what you are asking?
Okay. It's about a 25 min video discussing all aspects of using OneDrive. I just wanted to see the part where the host discussed the concept about hosting. So, can you tell us about where in the video would I need to skip just to see that part? Thank you.

pekajo

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,
Youtube seems to have changed. Search 'create google drive for hosting' there are a number of videos that explain the concept.
Peter

pekajo

Registered User.
Local time
Just an update when adding a BE and installing the FE on another computer find and use UNC path when Linking the BE as it is the same for all PC' on the network.
Found out the hard way.
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom