Other Development Packages (1 Viewer)

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:40
I was reading the thread "I Love Access" and saw some mention of older dev products, like Paradox, dbIII, etc. My first Windows dev product was Superbase. I built an entire reporting system for my department with it, then presented it to the IS department for WAN implementation. The IS folks insisted at the time to push the entire software package over the wire, instead of just the data, and it took 25 minutes for the main menu to appear in the first test! Naturally, the entire project died a quick death after that. Never could convince the IT folks that only the data needed pushed. I loved that product. :( Anyone else out there ever use it? I guess it's still around. Any other favorites out there that are now extinct?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 03:40
I started with DbMan on my Atari 2MG
It seems that this old databse program is also avilable for Linux, but
haven't got a copy yet.

Salient

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:40
There was a dbIII clone, but completely forget the name of it. Something to do with ships from memory name wise (Clipper or something). Had the advantage over dbIII that you could compile, of course you then had to .... take a seat kids this gets nasty .... link everything together :)

Guess no point in mentioning R83, the biggest post relational database of it's time.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
We still have an old database over here that is running on Superbase. Of course, it's getting ready to go database heaven (or hell, I'm not sure :eek:) soon. Will be replaced by something that runs on either SQL Server or Oracle.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
There was a dbIII clone, but completely forget the name of it. Something to do with ships from memory name wise (Clipper or something). Had the advantage over dbIII that you could compile, of course you then had to .... take a seat kids this gets nasty .... link everything together :)

Guess no point in mentioning R83, the biggest post relational database of it's time.

Yes, we had a guy here that was singing the praises of Clipper back in the early 90's. He washed away a long time ago....:D

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
We still have an old database over here that is running on Superbase. Of course, it's getting ready to go database heaven (or hell, I'm not sure :eek:) soon. Will be replaced by something that runs on either SQL Server or Oracle.

I loved Superbase. That was the product that convinced me to stick around the db dev arena. Mainframe SAS was driving me nuts. There was nothing like it anywhere at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom