Pruning sticky posts (1 Viewer)

Should we prune the 8 sticky threads in the General forum?

• Keep them all, I like to scroll

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Remove 25%

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Remove 50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remove 75%

• Remove 100%

• Total voters

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:17
Personally, I think the number of sticky posts in the General forum is ridiculous! Every time someone goes in there, they have to keep scrolling below the fold just to get to the content. I propose we get the choppers out!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
There is that. :(
Anyway to collapse that section or just put onepost with a link to another section/page?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 07:17
there's only a couple I see, Jon, that I would personally remove if I were running this place. But most of them seem very relevant to me:

Attachments

• theres_not_that_many_in_there.jpg
    theres_not_that_many_in_there.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 154

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In a way this is a similar comment to my earlier point.
The new style forum means less content is shown on each page

Anyway, number 8 is out of date and can be 'unstuck'.
I would definitely keep numbers 1, 3, 4, 6, 7

There are some in other forums that are no longer relevant.
For example how to post online images.
Perhaps no longer as important to report your own post to moderated areas?

Reactions: Jon

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
What you could do is just have one sticky, and have a link in it to a particular thread related to that particular forum area.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
My thoughts were to have a maximum of 3 stickies. Then, you can consolidate some and point to relevant threads with the answers.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:17
There are only 8 and they appear at the top, so I don't get what the problem is. All the other 200+ pages are not considered stickies, are they? They're just threads like any other but are in the "General" forum.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It reduces the need to scroll.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
It reduces the need to scroll.
Sorry, I don't get the point. There are only 8 stickies so not much to scroll there. The rest aren't sticky posts, are they? Anyway, don't worry about me missing the intent of your question as you likely don't really need my vote.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That's ok @Micron. Sometimes its good to understand the rationale behind the suggestions. I would ask this question: if you have 8 stickies at the top, does removing 5 of them also reduce your need to scroll to get to the recently posted threads?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 07:17
There are only 8 stickies so not much to scroll there.
actually Jon, this is right. Doing what you want to do isn't going to make much of a difference at all. There's virtually no scrolling that needs to happen the way it is. I would just leave it alone.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
If you have a problem scrolling past 8 stickies then you are in trouble when it comes to the rest of the forum. That's the reason for me not seeing a problem. For a moment there, I thought that your view must have been reversed (stickies at the bottom). Maybe before the recent changes you didn't hang out much here, I don't know, but 8 stickies is inconsequential for those who frequently scour the pages here (IMHO). If those 8 have any relevance, then I'd say don't remove them, but relevancy would be a different question I guess. Anyway, I admire the effort and risk you took in making this a better place. Thanks!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks @Micron. Let me ask if you had a choice between having to scroll or not having to scroll, which would you prefer? It is about web usability. Less steps to get to the content. Regular members will have to keep scrolling past the stickies to see the posts.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Don't forget to vote!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As already stated I would like to see more posts on a screen at once.
However, I really don't think the number of stickies are an issue.
In my opinion, un-stick where out of date or not relevant to the new software but otherwise leave them as they are now

On an unrelated subject, misspellings are flagged with a red squiggly line but I'm no longer seeing corrections for common mistakes

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I appreciate everybody has a different point of view on this, hence the poll. I like to know what people are thinking. My view is to have more "fresh" posts visible on the page before needing to scroll. I feel this will improve user engagement.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hmm, not sure I have an answer to the misspellings thing. I think its working ok for mee. Oh wait, I'm not sure it is!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've nuked a couple of the sticky threads in the General forum. I will consolidate the others over time, until we have about 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom