Questions to God. (1 Viewer)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:31
It could be just a coincidence to have TWO of them posting here at the same time, or is it something more . . .
Perhaps some superior being has a plan to get all such people into the same place at the same time, to create superconfusion.

chergh

blah
Local time
Today, 22:31
You're pretty funny,

I will leave you with this; I have to get back to work.the tax payers of the US keep me in burgers, so ...

Just for a little exercise, try looking at coincidences as something more, and see what happens.

Chance happenings, gives you an opportunity to explore possibilities, so when you encounter someone, ask yourself why this person, why now. What questions can they answer for me?

See what happens.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time

Why thank you kind sir, suffering stupidity has always been one of favorite pastimes.

It's always a real treat, to have affirmations come in at just the right time.

Last edited:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
So, how do you reconcile this statement

and this one

with this one you made, when I asked you what the right question is?

If one of us asks a question, who are you to say that it was 'not really any good' and so the wrong one to ask?

A meaningless debate is one where all of the participants are actively seeking to persuade the others, that their point of view is superior.

Whereas that might be effective for a high school debate teem, or an election, it is irrelevant for a philosophical discussion. The purpose of philosophy is to reconcile your place in the universe and to try to think outside the box. A difficult endeavor obviously, but worthy of the time spent.

So back to questions, ask the ones that bring you closer to the truth. Then be open, the worst thing a person can do is spend a life time pursuing vindication, for their limited point of view.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
A meaningless debate is one where all of the participants are actively seeking to persuade the others, that their point of view is superior.

We're not discussing the best way to build a cabin, where there may be multiple answers, all correct. We're saying is there a god (any one). The answer is either yes or no. No grey area. So if you believe one way and you're not trying to convince everyone else that you're correct, why join in?
So back to questions, ask the ones that bring you closer to the truth. Then be open, the worst thing a person can do is spend a life time pursuing vindication, for their limited point of view.
Let's say you believe in God. I don't. You attempt, via your questions, to convince me that I'm wrong and you're right. How is that the worst thing that can you can do with your life? If you succeed, you have saved my eternal soul (or something).

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Is pomposity considered a sin, because if it is I think somebody is in real trouble if their beliefs turn out to be true.

Brian

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would like to point out that the character corresponding to the number 42 (ASCII Decimal) is the Asterisk. Wild card. Interesting

and hex 42 is 66, which is "B" - is that significant

-----------
and I cannot say for certain but the 6th letter of the hebrew alphabet corresponds to W, i am told

which makes 666 correspond to WWW

is that a fact?

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time

-----------
and I cannot say for certain but the 6th letter of the hebrew alphabet corresponds to W, i am told

is that a fact?

Almost Gemma. The 6th letter is often pronounced W but it's actually a V.

Lil' Rascal

y = x
Local time
Today, 14:31
Sure. 66-42 = 24 which is 42 sdrawckaB.

is that a fact?

While interesting, I cannot say if 'www' is indeed 666. It makes sense. But I'm not going to subscribe to it. I do, however find that 6 * 6 + 6 = 42. :p

I looked up the sixth letter of the hebrew alphabet. It's Vav. Not being a linguist I can't say how it's pronounced or if it indeed does correspond to our letter, 'W'.
I did found some nifty little factiods I found whilst browsing up the sixth letter, Vav. These are significant to the Jewish religion in particular. I list these mearly as 'thought provokers' and not reflections on my personal beliefs. These are not included in the gospel according to Lil' Rascal.

There are:
Six Days of Creation, and their six corresponding Divine forces active in creation.
Six letters of the word bereishit, "In the beginning."
Six alefs in the first verse of the Torah.
Six-millennium duration of the world.
Six directions of the physical world.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player.

Albert Einstein

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
Albert Einstein

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Proving that even our greatest thinkers struggle with defining the power that creates the universe.

Further investigation into Mr. Einstein’s philosophy will reveal a lack of trust in common organized religion. Yet he demonstrated on many occasions the same disdain for science, and he practiced both until his death, belief in a higher power and science.

The point is, and back to one of my earlier assertions, if you take your disbelief as an axiom, you then eliminate the possibility of spiritual growth, not emotional growth, or an increase in you’re morality, but spiritual.

If you don’t believe in a spiritual existence then it naturally follows, you would search for it even more strenuously, as even the best scientist follow leads they find difficult to visualize.

Putting aside personal prejudice is a difficult process for most of us. But sometimes in life we find that the things we cling to the most, somehow have a way of returning full circle.

My only advocation in this debate is that if you are not seeking answers beyond the highly limited ones science can provide, then you are cheating yourself out of greater possibilities.

Last edited:

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
If you don’t believe in a spiritual existence then it naturally follows, you would search for it even more strenuously, as even the best scientist follow leads they find difficult to visualize.

No it doesn't. If you're unsure about it, you may look all the harder, just to settle the matter, if nothing else. If you don't believe in something at all, you never look for it.
My only advocation in this debate is that if you are not seeking answers beyond the highly limited ones science can provide, then you are cheating yourself out of greater possibilities.
Alternatively, if you ignore scientific evidence because it doesn't correspond with the supernatural view you've decided upon, you're on a slippery slope toward lucky heather, touching wood, seeing ghosts, and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom