Solved Seat Reservation / Grafik Programme (1 Viewer)

MarionD

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:07
Morning all,

I have a small application where I sell tickets for concerts in a hall that can seat 720 People.
At the moment I enter the name and address in my tbl_Customers, then in a dropdown list from my tbl_Seats I select the ticket Numbers (seat numbers) . After Update I enter the info into a Kett Table, recording customerID and Ticket ID. From here I can do different reports etc.

What I would like to be able to do is click on a grafik "Plan" of the Hall, double click the seat and assign it to a customer/enter a new customer.
Is this at all possible, just using access or would I need an external graphic program? I've been trying to google, but come up with a lot of photo graphic programs... can't seem to find what I want. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations I could follow up on? SOmething like this....

Thanks so much.
20220922_191834.jpg

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Look at a calendar db. As that pretty much does what you are asking, but for days.
You would need to put the seats on various tabs, perhaps for each area? Plus there is a limit to the number of controls per form.

MarionD

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Gasman, will look into that

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In the concert hall,
How many seats in each row?
How many rows?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
One thing you need to be aware of
The number of seats (720) is close to the lifetime control limit for a form.
The limit is officially 754, though in recent versions of Access, if my memory serves me correctly, it is actually around 938.

ADIGA88

Local time
Today, 23:07
One thing you need to be aware of
The number of seats (720) is close to the lifetime control limit for a form.
The limit is officially 754, though in recent versions of Access, if my memory serves me correctly, it is actually around 938.
side note: I hate this issue with access that you can't generate controls at runtime.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:07
MarionD,

See this older post by ChrisO - specifically the database in post #8 (Macbeth Seats).
It may give you some insight and ideas.
Chris was a technical authority on many things Access/vba/database and his posts/comments and sample code are often referenced.

Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:07
Many years ago I saw a database about the parts of a complicated machine.
There was a form with the machine picture as it's background image.
When mouse was clicked on different parts on the image, a form with a lot of data about that specific part was opened.

If my memory serves me right, there was a table with a lot of coordinates for x & y.
When mouse was clicked on the image, the coordinates of the mouse current position was picked up and compared to the values of the table.
There was not even a button on the form.

I may be wrong though.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 16:07
This is very doable in Access. You have to use subforms. You have 4 natural subforms.
As said take look at this year view calendar.

In this thread look at the yearview control and my linear calendar.

This is far harder because it allows you to add and move objects, but it shows how to link a graphic to a database.

When building a form like that with lots of controls. You most likely want them named correctly, sized, and located. To save lots of time I build some code to actually build the form when I am designing it (not dynamic). That way if I get one bad name or tag I can just rebuild the controls on a new form.

The issue the limit to controls is bigger than 720, but still close to 900. This is the lifetime of the form so if you put 400 controls on a form and delete them than add another 400 controls you are at 800. Another time you will max out and break the form. This is why I use code so I can start with a blank form.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:07
actually i got 1170 controls (i used Label) before i got error on adding controls.

arnelgp

Local time
you create an "image" (bmp/png on your map).
then use it as the Picture of the form.
now overlay each "numbered" box with a Label control (the Name is same as the number, prefixed with "lbl").
on the click/dbl_click event of the label you open a form to add the customer for that particular seat.

only adding the label need patience.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I answered a question on AWF about 6 years ago where the user wanted to display car hire Info. As Colin pointed out, you're getting very near the limit of controls that can be placed on an access form. I reduced the number of controls place on the form by using subforms. I did a couple of videos explaining my code and what I was trying to do.. See YouTube Videos below:-

Display Vehicle Hire Period - Nifty Access​

Car Hire Update - Nifty Access​

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Many years ago I saw a database
Same here!

The example I saw was an ownership map.

I posted a copy to the forum Here:-

arnelgp

Local time
sample demo of what you need.

Attachments

• testLabelMap.accdb
    1.2 MB · Views: 105

MarionD

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you all so much for the advice/suggestions.
Just to let you know I am working on it and "following up all the leads"
I will post again when (if) I get it working

Marion

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I use a technique similar to post #9. I create an image of the seating layout in excel/word/publisher then use a screen grab to a save as a jpg if not already available

arnelgp

Local time
i removed most of the "flicker" when adding/updating "seat" record.

Attachments

• testLabelMap.accdb
    1.8 MB · Views: 109

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 13:07
You could put an image on a form, and handle the Image.MouseDown event. This event provides the xy coordinates of the click. Using that information, make a table of where features are located. If all your features are the same size, like seats in an auditorium, then you only need to store, say, the upper left point, and then calculate the offsets for size.

After that, handle Image.MouseMove to show a hand cursor over clickable regions, and handle Image.MouseDown to handle clicks.

MarionD

Registered User.
Local time
i removed most of the "flicker" when adding/updating "seat" record.
Hi there!

Wow I can't believe you did the whole thing for me! Thank you so much!!

I just have a problem... when I open the DB/form I get an error message (on mousemove) -Sorry about the German:) Basically it says there is a procedure on mousemove that access doesn't recognize? I have tried putting a stop in the code to go through it slowly but somehow thats not working.
Would be so great if you could help me out.
Wow still can't believe you did all that work for me!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-05 005542.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-05 005542.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom