Shootings in US schools (3 Viewers)

Worley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:25
scott-atkinson said:
Ken,

I don't have all the answers, if I did I would be a world leader or something, I just feel that people should have more respect for each other.

I do fear that the US gun culture is starting to encroach on UK life, although we have a huge problem here with knife crime and sex crimes.

The latter being something that you guys seem to be better at controlling than us, for example you are much stricter on child sex offenders than we are, we pander with the idea that these people can be cured. Which in my mind is rubbish. I am hetrosexual, I am not going to have counselling and become homosexual, you get my point.

There are lots of things that we can learn from each others culture that can make each country better. A good example is how you have cleaned up the streets of New York, we could learn a lot from that on how to tackle crime here.
Wow, I like this Scott guy. Lets put ol Rich and Colin on the backburner, and talk with the Brit who doesn't rip out pictures of the American flag in every magazine they see it in.
We obviously have a gun problem in the US, and from what I can tell, in almost every case where gun bans are introduced, it has almost no effect, and in some cases, an opposite effect as it was intended too. Looking at that evidence, I can't see it working for us. I think personally that much more strict laws for any type of serious violence will help stem the flow. It has to be apparent to the criminal element, as well as the potential criminal element, that if they live that life, and they ever get caught, their lives are over as they know it. I am not saying kill them all, by any means, but like you said....usually, there is no "curing" these types of people.

R

Rich

Hey Wooley, how about you stop the sale of guns to any Tom, Dick or Harry at fairs to start with.

Worley

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
If only that were the case, it's a myth portrayed by an hysterical press here. The US has the same problems as the UK regarding sexual abuse, it also has a similar approach to the problem

http://www.csom.org/pubs/mythsfacts.html

That was established mid 1997, and though it has good information, I wonder if there is a more recent one. I am sure things have gotten better in both countries, but I would like to see an updated version so we can discuss it with proper information. See? Polite! :D

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:25
Worley said:
Wow, I like this Scott guy. Lets put ol Rich and Colin on the backburner, and talk with the Brit who doesn't rip out pictures of the American flag in every magazine they see it in.
We obviously have a gun problem in the US, and from what I can tell, in almost every case where gun bans are introduced, it has almost no effect, and in some cases, an opposite effect as it was intended too. Looking at that evidence, I can't see it working for us. I think personally that much more strict laws for any type of serious violence will help stem the flow. It has to be apparent to the criminal element, as well as the potential criminal element, that if they live that life, and they ever get caught, their lives are over as they know it. I am not saying kill them all, by any means, but like you said....usually, there is no "curing" these types of people.

I say get rid of capital punishment and adapt the British method of throwing them into a dungeon; never to be let out again.

See ya later, bye.

Worley

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Hey Wooley, how about you stop the sale of guns to any Tom, Dick or Harry at fairs to start with.
You see, Scott? Colin called it retaliation. Be constructive. Be one with the Ellen DeGeneres commercial. Calm...

R

Rich

They were the latest stats I could find, what I do know is that the vast majority of this crap occurs within the family unit and very often goes unreported.
What I also know is that the figure for child deaths in the UK by strangers has remained almost constant for the last 50 yrs, aside from some fluctuations.
The tabloid rags would have us believe that it's a new threat to our children, it isn't

Worley

Registered User.
Local time
jsanders said:
I say get rid of capital punishment and adapt the British method of throwing them into a dungeon; never to be let out again.

See ya later, bye.
Sometimes that backfires, ever read "The Count of Monte Cristo"? lol Just kidding, I like that idea, actually. It's efficient and effective. I am a calm guy, and not prone to rash judgements on people, but if there is one crime that disgust me, its child molestation. THOSE criminals should have their eyes removed so they can never see anything they shouldn't have again. Then put them to work picking up trash on the sides of the highway with little supervision. Oops! There goes 012232434!

R

Rich

Worley said:
You see, Scott? Colin called it retaliation. Be constructive. Be one with the Ellen DeGeneres commercial. Calm...
Offer a suggestion and see what response we get from Americans, you asked for constructive answers and then when we offer them they are dismissed as crap.
Like I've said to you, I'm not bothered and will return to normal because you're not the slightest bit interested in outside opinion, but then Americans never have. Nothing new there then:rolleyes:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:25
Its not owning guns that's the problem, its carrying them outside of your own home. What is needed is strong stop and search laws and anybody carrying a gun outside their home has both index fingures cut off, and if that doesn't work continue till all are gone.

Brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
you asked for constructive answers and then when we offer them they are dismissed as crap.:rolleyes:

You wouldn't know how to make a constructive comment if it bit you on the ass.

I have a question for you Richard.

If you fail at something by doing it incorrectly, will working harder at it next time make it succeed?

How can you continue to post such drabble and expect anyone to take you seriously?

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanders
I say get rid of capital punishment and adapt the British method of throwing them into a dungeon; never to be let out again
</Quote>

I am personally of the opinion that we need more capital punishment. our prisons are over full we have people who are clearly guilty on death row earning upper level degrees from colleges while they wait the 15 or 20 years the entire appeals process takes. I think Texas has it right, if you commit a violent crime, ra** murder etc and there are more than 3 eye witnesses or video tape then you dont get an appeal you go straight to the front of the line for the electric chair, gas chamber, needle. but again that is my opinion take it as you will

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
I think we've had this capital punishment discussion before, no?:confused:

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Matty said:

sorry if I am dredging up another thread. am fairly new here and all

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Nah, it's okay. I just remember discussing it before and now I can't find the thread... :eek:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Matty said:
Nah, it's okay. I just remember discussing it before and now I can't find the thread... :eek:

If we were to eliminate redundency on this site we would all need to go home.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
You wouldn't know how to make a constructive comment if it bit you on the ass.

And you don't have the intelligence to answer it

R

Rich

Matty said:
Yes and the consensus was that capital punishment is based on good old fashioned American christian principles:rolleyes:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:25
Well I made a "constructive" comment about takling the shooting/gun problem and it was ignored,:confused: , was it too way out, unworkable, so unbelievably good :)

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom