Should Obama have got the Nobel Peace Prize? (1 Viewer)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:15
Well there is a language barrier here but I still can't see what merit there'd be in Obama even mentioning "mission accomplished":confused:

It was just my attempt at illustrating how Obama has run the risk of repeating the mistake his predecessor did by prematurely claiming the attainment of peace.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
It was just my attempt at illustrating how Obama has run the risk of repeating the mistake his predecessor did by prematurely claiming the attainment of peace.

Yes but Obama made his approach toward diplomacy right from the outset, as did Bush. Bush made it quite clear at the outset that he was a warmonger, spot the difference?;)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 10:15
Well Al Gore won it for god knows what.

Its a shame as a kid - I thought these awards were a real honour, now they are a joke, perhaps they always were.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Look on the bright side, at least it keep Bliar from getting it:rolleyes:

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:15
Well Al Gore won it for god knows what.

Its a shame as a kid - I thought these awards were a real honour, now they are a joke, perhaps they always were.

Well a lot of the prizes were actually nobel, but... to get a price for beeiing in office 11 days :D that just has to be politics, no kidding ! :eek:

You gotta love Politics where everything and anything is about perception and talk talk talk.
Who needs to invent the perpetual motion machine ?? It allready bloody exists... Civil Cervents perfected it decades ago :(

As for Obama donating the money, bah more perception management...
Check out how much the guy makes per year just for beeing the president of the US of A, then see how much he is going to make for beeing "a nobel price winner"
===
Possibly twice or three times over? seeing as he got it now, he is bound to get it again when he might actually be able to lay stake or claim to it
===
Doing converences and what not... Perception management my friends... Political nonsence

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 13:15
I think it is pretty hilarious that americans, who LOVE to be number 1, actually seem to be pissed of that their president got an international award. Where is that winner's spirit now? Where is the patriotism?

Its not hilarious, its really sad. As a country we are so caught up in being #1 that we don't value at all what other countries think.

The truth of the matter is that in many areas of society, America is far behind the rest of the civilized world, but our politicians have done a masterful job of pulling the wool over the common person's eyes.

American politicans continually talk about how we're the greatest country in the world, but never explain by what measurements they are determining this. If you question this at all, you're branded a traitor or told "If you don't like it, get the hell out."

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I would not be surprised at all if one of the key reasons we don't provide affordable education is that unintelligent people are key to sustaining the current American way of life.

statsman

Local time
I was shocked the other day when I read that in the USA, university tuition and living expenses are not deductible from your parent's income tax.

With the high costs of American colleges and residence, how can the US expect to train the necessary technical and scientific people required for the next generation?

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:15
With the high costs of American colleges and residence,
By the companies paying outragious wages...

I have had an offer to do my job in the US for 2 times the euro's I am making now. Problem beeing I would have to move there to prevent all kinds of trouble and I am not going to do that.

It (i have heard from americans) is not uncommon for someone to make $100.000++ for a "educated" job, while the "most common" salary here in the NL is ~30-35.000 (at todays exchange rates $45-50.000) which is just about a factor 2 ...

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:15
By the companies paying outragious wages...

I have had an offer to do my job in the US for 2 times the euro's I am making now. Problem beeing I would have to move there to prevent all kinds of trouble and I am not going to do that.

It (i have heard from americans) is not uncommon for someone to make $100.000++ for a "educated" job, while the "most common" salary here in the NL is ~30-35.000 (at todays exchange rates $45-50.000) which is just about a factor 2 ...

Are you smoking crack? If you have a college degree, you can't even GET a job right now in the US, much less one that pays well. Salaries may have been as high as you say back before the dot com bubble burst, but that was a long long time ago. Median earnings in U.S. is down around $30-40k/year. I had a guy call me yesterday and offer me $10-15 on contract to build him a database, what a joke.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:15
With the high costs of American colleges and residence, how can the US expect to train the necessary technical and scientific people required for the next generation?
They don't. They expect to import them instead.

Access Hero

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:15
I was shocked the other day when I read that in the USA, university tuition and living expenses are not deductible from your parent's income tax.

I'm not sure where you got that information. I deduct my daughter's tuition costs each year. She would have living expenses whether she were going to college or not.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:15
I think I have to second the notion that the typical USA citizen doesn't know why Mr. Obama got that prize. Even some atypical citizens can't answer that one.

Much as I would like to disagree with Rich and Colin, in this case I could easily imagine it as being a slap at Bush the younger. The only other thoughts I have on that subject are that the year must have been pretty bad to have such a dearth of candidates that they gave it to Obama.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
The context of "mission accomplished" Bri or don't you remember the pics of Bush sailing in on a destroyer proudly displaying the aforementioned banner whilst countless thousands were still being butchered on the streets of Iraq?

Aircraft Carrier

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Because we're British?
Nice to see that in the ever changing universe, there are some things which remain forever constant :rolleyes:

But to answer the original question, how about an emphatic "AW, HAIL NO!":mad: ...of course, if Fifty2One gets his prize in physics, I shall rescind my previous objection to the award granted our illustrious Fascist-In-er I mean Commander-In-Chief.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
To do what , seek out and destroy perhaps?

You're British Rich; surely you can see the value of accurate nautical terms. After all the British were the ones to invent them in the first place.

American navel tradition and culture are directly descendent from the British, perhaps one of the most prominent examples of our British origins.

A Destoyer's mission is to protect the batlle group, which is led by the Aircraft Carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom