Teaching maths 1970-2017 (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:14
1.Teaching Maths in 1970
> 1. A logger sells a truckload of timber for £100..
> His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
> What is his profit?
>
> 2. Teaching Maths In 1980
> A logger sells a truckload of timber for £100.
> His cost of production is 80% of the price.
> What is his profit?
>
> 3. Teaching Maths In 1990
> His cost of production is £80.
> How much was his profit?
>
> 4. Teaching Maths In 2000
> His cost of production is £80 and his profit is £20..
> Your assignment: Underline the number 20.
>
> 5. Teaching Maths In 2005
> A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habit of animals or the preservation of our woodlands.
> Your assignment: Discuss how the birds and squirrels might feel as the logger cut down their homes just for a measly profit of £20.
>
> 6. Teaching Maths In 2009
> A logger is arrested for trying to cut down a tree in case it may be offensive to Muslims or other religious groups not consulted in the felling licence.
> He is also fined a £100 as his chainsaw is in breach of Health and Safety legislation as it deemed too dangerous and could cut something.
> He has used the chainsaw for over 20 years without incident however he does not have the correct certificate of competence and is therefore considered to be a recidivist and habitual criminal.
> His DNA is sampled and his details circulated throughout all government agencies. He protests and is taken to court and fined another £100 because he is such an easy target.
> When he is released he returns t o find Gypsies have cut down half his wood to build a camp on his land. He tries to throw them off but is arrested, prosecuted for harassing an ethnic minority, imprisoned and fined a further £100.
> While he is in jail the Gypsies cut down the rest of his wood and sell it on the black market for £100 cash. They also have a leaving BBQ of squirrel and pheasant and depart leaving behind several tonnes of rubbish and asbestos sheeting.
> The forester on release is warned that failure to clear the fly tipped rubbish immediately at his own cost is an offence. He complains and is arrested for environmental pollution, breach of the peace and invoiced £12,000 plus VAT
> for safe disposal costs by a regulated government contractor.
>
> Your assignment: How many times is the logger going to have to be arrested and fined before he realises that he is never going to make £20 profit by hard work, give up, sign onto the dole and live off the state for the rest of his life?
>
> 7. Teaching Maths In 2010
> A logger doesn’t sell a lorry load of timber because he can’t get a loan to buy a new lorry because his bank has spent all his and their money on a derivative of securitised debt related to sub- prime mortgages in Alabama
> and lost the lot with only some government money left to pay a few million pound bonuses to their senior directors and the traders who made the biggest losses.
>
> The logger struggles to pay the £1,200 road tax on his old lorry however, as it was built in the 1970s it no longer meets the emissions regulations and he is forced to scrap it.
>
> Some Bulgarian loggers buy the lorry from the scrap merchant and put it back on the road. They undercut everyone on price for haulage and send their cash back home, while claiming unemployment for themselves and their relatives.
> If questioned they speak no English and it is easier to deport them at the governments expense. Following their holiday back home they return to the UK with different names and fresh girls and start again.
> The logger protests, is accused of being a bigoted racist and as his name is on the side of his old lorry he is forced to pay £1,500 registration fees as a gang master.
>
> The Government borrows more money to pay more to the bankers as bonus's are not cheap. The parliamentarians feel they are missing out and claim the difference on expenses and allowances.
> You do the maths.
>
> 8. Teaching Maths 2017
> أ المسجل تبيع حموله شاحنة من الخشب من اجل 100 دولار. صاحب تكلفة الانت=D 8ج من
> الثمن. ما هو الربح له؟
>
>

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
I hope you haven't upset anyone with this post Rich, they may need counselling and extra benefits paid to them and I speak as a representative of an oppressed minority in Britain - the English.:rolleyes:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Yes it doesn't pay to be English in England anymore, we're now ruled from Strasburg by a Scottish muppet :mad::rolleyes:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Tell him to read it then and the New Labour party to see if they can work out how they've screwed the country :rolleyes:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 02:14
Sorry Rich - I am not in contact with him personally.

What does part 8 say?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Anybody would think that racial tension and economic strife is a recent trend.

Very interesting that the 2 have a close relationship throughout history (even before the 21st century)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 02:14
Some people make the same mistakes over and over.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:14
Damn, Rich. I can't say a bad thing about your story. Except ... maybe ... it is too true to be good?

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 05:14
It rings true in America too, unfortunately.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 04:14
Erm, capital "I" please as it's the first letter. Learn English grammar bro.

Col
How old are you Colin? Man, you've got some major issues with people in general. I would hate to be your neighbor. I think I'll leave this thread now too...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
How old are you Colin? Man, you've got some major issues with people in general. I would hate to be your neighbor. I think I'll leave this thread now too...

I see - it's ok for you to tell a foreign member to learn to spell, yet when I try to help your grammar you take exception to it? Typical Yank:rolleyes:

I get my bus pass this October. But, I'll probobly be dead within 5 years which suits me just fine. Me and wife are now sorting out our affairs so there's no problem come the glorious day. I've done everything I wanted to do in life.

I get on great with my neighbour, in fact he is still bitter because the Germans bombed his local chip shop in 1944. He is as cynical as I am - as are many English people.
You would not get on well as my neighbour, you are American - so the way you think is different to the English, in fact, thinking about it, you would not really be happy in our street, we have a really good community, we look after each other. Also you can't have a gun.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You won't regret not meeting me for a drink then?

Well we'd better get on with it, I'm already 18 months into my (so I was told)five years to live.
You come over to London and I'll be there, you'll be ok, I'll tell people you're Canadian.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom