Local time
Today, 10:43
Last edited:

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:43
KalelGmoon said:
on this too, the authors of the bible arent the people whose names are on the books themselves. the actual books of the bible werent put down on papyrus until over 100 years after the last of Jesus' disciples went to meet there buddy. so the bible is hearsay and he said she said. which by the way would not be allowed in a court of law. :D

Hey Kale,

If your saying the books in the Bible were not written down until 100 years after the disciples died, I'd like to know how you came to this determination.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
No, you didn't. Kindly get your act together.:D

So, to continue the analogy, how about if I do have a book and know that my dragon book was written by real people - as opposed to surreal ones? - and that they swear blind they were writing the truth? :D

I have a bit of difficulty with the whole 'truth' bit. I mean, my dragon guys are as good as they come, honest to a man, but they're only human and so are fallible (unlike the dragons themselves). Even though they say they are writing down everything exactly as it happened - or as dictated to them by one of the dragons - there's always the chance that they've misremembered or misunderstood something, no?

I'm also awfully conscious of the fact that you can show five people the same event and get five different stories back, if you immediately ask them to describe what happened. This is for a recent event, too, never mind things that happened thousands of years ago and have been translated from the original dragon language.

Matt, Just a curious question. How much have you studied on the Bible, it's origin, it's authors and historical studies of it?

R

Rich

ShaneMan said:
Hey Kale,

If your saying the books in the Bible were not written down until 100 years after the disciples died, I'd like to know how you came to this determination.
It was penned by the aged Apostle John around 95 AD and describes the new heaven and the new earth when God's kingdom will embrace the universe and all rebellion and death will be a thing of the past.
It was either hearsay or John must have been at least 120 yrs old

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
Isn't there at least one 'branch' (for want of a better word) of Christianity that believes what happens to you is pre-ordained, so it makes no difference if you're good or bad? Or does that pre-ordination just relate to whether or not someone gets into Heaven?

It is not a branch or denomination, but there is a doctrinal teaching that sounds close to what your asking. It's called Calvinism or hyper-Calvinism. Calvinist would fall more in the "someone gets into Heaven" camp. Hyper-Calvinist would fall more in the predestined so it doesn't matter camp. Just trying to lend a hand.;)

KenHigg

Local time
Rich said:
Thank you:)

They said .84 cents/oz. Or they have a flat rate package for around $5 that it should fit in. Don't worry about the money this time - if it looks like a flick I'd be interested in I make me a copy :)

Let me know if you want to give it a try - I'll pm you an address...

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
It was either hearsay or John must have been at least 120 yrs old

Does this make a difference? and I was more referring to the older books of the Bible say like Isaiah, Jerimiah, and etc.

According to tradition, during the persecution of Domitian John was exiled to the small island of Patmos (one of the present Dodecanese Islands) where he put in writing his Christian visions in the form of the Revelation as we have it today. According to the same tradition, John died in Ephesos about the year 104 A.D. over 100 years old.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
You wanted to know when the books were written

No, I wanted to know how Kale was making the statement that the books of the Bible where written down 100 years after the death of the disciples. (if that was what he/she was saying). Your chart that you directed me to clearly shows dates way before then.

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Today, 15:43
jsanders said:
That's not it, at all.
I don’t aspire to have anyone believe the same way I do.
And the last thing I am about, is being evangelistic. So when anyone tells you their beliefs it is mostly to try to get you to believe that same as they.

Which is why I started this thread. Several people have entered into the debate and are stoic in their beliefs.

Here’s what I can tell you; (and I came to this all by myself) religion is mostly a method that humans use to keep themselves tuned to the holy part of the universe. Some people don’t need religion to connect, for others it’s a great comfort. Still for many; they wish they could feel the power, but it eludes them.

For me; I feel the power in varying degrees, depending on how much time I spend trying to stay connected.

God exist, I have witnessed his power. That has nothing to do with faith or a contradiction with logic. It is merely a statement of fact.

As far as science goes; I can tell you that for most people, that use the science argument, to disprove the existence of a supreme being, they have no clue as to the size of the holes in which they place their faith.

Hope this cleared it up for you.

So yes I came by it on my own. There’s a lot more to what I think, about the true nature of the universe, but I'll hold on to it until some of ya’ll get through dissecting my post.

Thankyou for responding. I don't begin to understand where you're coming from on a lot of this, especially your choice to attribute occurences in your life to an unseen deity rather than random chance (and others have dissected your post more succinctly than I would) but if it works for you it does me no harm and I wouldn't try to change your mind - I'm not evangelical either.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
And yes, I am ashamed of the way I have treated him.

I always thought you were Wooley's side kick, still if you feel guilty about your treatment of him go ahead and apologise

lightray

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:43
jsanders said:
And there’s something else, because of the agreements I have with God I have to be very good (as I can) because I seem to get punished, rather severely, whenever I’m not.

I admire your open honesty with these posts,:) and would like to understand more. I look on God as an energy force, rather than a deity. This energy force is what we are all made of. This energy force flows through everything, and is an energy force that can be tapped into. Telepathy and telekinesis are some of the energy levels. Our sixth sense is also linked into this energy field.

To me, it doesn't seem possible for God to punish anyone. I can't believe it is a part of God's nature. So I would like to try and understand your point of view on this.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 15:43
KenHigg said:
Did you see where I said I was sorry?
Yes. I figured it was as sincere as all your other apologies - in other words,
I think a GWB speech is more sincerely meant than that.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
Yes. I figured it was as sincere as all your other apologies - in other words,
I think a GWB speech is more sincerely meant than that.

Col

Gee whiz... You can really be bitter and hateful at times...:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom