The_Doc_Man is off the air (2 Viewers)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 10:29
my last company - (which was great to work for, bought out and then it was a bitch) actual preferred over 55-

many reasons,but some of the reasons were
55 and over you probably done all the daft mistakes that we all make, you are more likely to stay the duration (we had 3 guys > 65 in a company of 30 people)
dedicated not so carear focused -don't want to jump up the corporate ladder
No children problems -
the guys we had we fab, their wealth of knowledge on stuff was great , - none were IT trained - but were eager to learn, their knoweldge of office set ups and genreal inter personal relations - bang on ..

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:29
There might be another reason why "old guys" are nearly persona non grata - we cannot be fooled by managers who make their own emergencies and then get the young, inexperienced kids to work 90 gazillion hours of overtime to bail them out of their mistakes. Us old guys recognize managerial stupidity due to long, frequent exposure to same. We have excellent bullsnot detectors so the "rah rah company is everything" speech falls on deaf ears. We know when someone is "blowing smoke" and won't stand for it. Managers want kids fresh out of college - kids who are cheap, gullible, malleable, and unaware of the power of the word "NO." (Much less, "You've got to think I'm stupid to ask me to do that.")

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 18:29
Doc Man

Glad to see you back with only minor damage. Hopefully you can getthe insurance to cover the damage and cost.

Re your comment on us "old un's".

I was made redundant last christmas and spent 6 months "semi retired" so to speak. Now found new employment and all the things you have said about the old uns seeing the true situation and not concerned about the corporate ladder are so true.

As I say I am now working my way down the ladder of success. Yes I have run departments, been responsible for people, read the book, eaten the pie and had the indigestion.

Now at nearly 62 I do a job that I enjoy doing. I know what needs to be done and how it should be done without any "political" influence. That is what i do. If somebody doesn't like it then it is they who will have the indigestion, not me.

My governor is fine with that and is prepared to back me up if required although as he says I do not need the backing. I can hold my own corner quite well.

Okay I can afford to be in that situation, If they do not like me then I can practice retirement again. No problem to me.

There does seem to be a bit of a movement to realising that us old folk do have a wealth of knowledge and experience that we are prepared to share. We are also wise enough to know that there is always the opportunity to learn, Nobody knows it all.

Again good to seen you back

Len

statsman

Local time
Today, 13:29
There might be another reason why "old guys" are nearly persona non grata - we cannot be fooled by managers who make their own emergencies and then get the young, inexperienced kids to work 90 gazillion hours of overtime to bail them out of their mistakes. Us old guys recognize managerial stupidity due to long, frequent exposure to same. We have excellent bullsnot detectors so the "rah rah company is everything" speech falls on deaf ears. We know when someone is "blowing smoke" and won't stand for it. Managers want kids fresh out of college - kids who are cheap, gullible, malleable, and unaware of the power of the word "NO." (Much less, "You've got to think I'm stupid to ask me to do that.")

You forgot the most obvious one, as you get older Bulls*&t no longer baffles brains. The Manager says the President wants this. You know the President never said any such thing so you ask if you can use the Manager's phone to call the President.

My next favourite is the Manager demanding you do a rush project in 3 days. The standard response is "Oh, you mean the one that's been sitting in your IN basket for two weeks. Already done."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom