Thread disappeared - no notice. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Today, 11:50
It doesn't, but Access is the reason d'etre of this website.
The Watercooler and other non-Access areas were an after thought.
If your sole concern is your opinion about the world and its people, there are plenty of fruit loop sites out there that would be glad to air them.

In short, your posting rate should be 5 Access posts to every 1 Watercooler/Political/Sport or Gaming. Not the other way around.
That's ridiculous. Significantly more than half of the forums on this board aren't access-centric.. This board started out with Access as the sole reason for its existence, then it changed.
I now leave this discussion.
Why would anyone declare this, immediately after stating their argument?
Sure, if you've nothing to say, then "I dunno - I'm off" makes sense, but what you did here makes it look like you can't bear to be contradicted or debated.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
I understood it, but:

1. I think it's a weird thing to declare at the end of a post that actively states an argument, so I said so.

2. I think I understand human nature and internet message boards well enough to know that, when people say "Now I'm leaving!", they often don't mean it.

3. Even if the member in question doesn't return to the thread, there's no particular reason why statements he made must stand unchallenged.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
And we are family by CHOICE! That's what the beautiful thing is. And like all families, we argue and have our differences. But we still show up at Christmas and give each other hugs and kisses and presents... and tell each other from time to time how much they mean to us.

A wise woman once told me "Friends are the family you choose for yourself". I'm pleased to count my friends on this forum as family :D

By the way Tess, I'd been hanging around the forum for a very long time before I joined. I can actually remember when Col and Ken were good friends... ;)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 03:50
By the way Tess, I'd been hanging around the forum for a very long time before I joined. I can actually remember when Col and Ken were good friends... ;)

You're just showing off! - I bet you can't remember where your put you keys half the time though.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
You're just showing off! - I bet you can't remember where your put you keys half the time though.

Ah, but I'm getting good at knowing where to look. I usually find them in the fridge :eek:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I usually have mine returned to me before I know I have mislain them, when someone walks past and notices them hanging from the front door, and knocks to let me know.

Phone, wallet , keys - is the three words I say to myself all the time when out. As soon as i get home - I have no idea. Fridge seems a perfectly reasonable place to look.

Maybe Col - mislaid the thread - and its wasn't in the watercooler at all, maybe its in the fridge?

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 06:50
Colin, I can tell you, being a relative newcomer to this site, that your posts are usually very offensive and offer little educational or other worth. I've found that I usually breeze over your posts unless someone else is referencing your post at which point I go back so that I understand the context.

I'm sure you probably have a lot of worthy bits of information/opinion to share, but when your posts are constructed in such a negative way, they'll get ignored.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
We were. It was Ken that blew that out of the water.

Col

Oh Col my lamb, you really do take things to heart. I wish you didn't get hurt so easily, but, as you do, I'm just going to send you lots of good vibrations and continue to hope that you and Ken can one day forget a stupid argument and get back to being the friends you were :) xxxxx

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Colin, I can tell you, being a relative newcomer to this site, that your posts are usually very offensive and offer little educational or other worth. I've found that I usually breeze over your posts unless someone else is referencing your post at which point I go back so that I understand the context.

I'm sure you probably have a lot of worthy bits of information/opinion to share, but when your posts are constructed in such a negative way, they'll get ignored.

Well, that's what the ignore button is for - it's your choice.

Maybe I'll repost my "Things we have learnt about the USA from films and TV" thread.

For example:-

1) There are no parking restrictions in the US cities, there is always a parking space outside the building you wish to visit.

2) Americans never lock their cars.

3) A diner is always a disused railway carriage in the middle of a street.

4) A diner always has red gingham table cloths.

5) Americans never wait for a restaurant bill, they just throw some notes on the table and walk out.

6) Aliens always land near a small settlement where there is no CNN to capture it.

7) Car tyres always screech, even on dirt roads.

Plenty more where those came from.

Col

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
What ignore button?
It's not really a button, but this works:

"If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:
Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'."

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Thanks for that - I was expecting to find it either in-thread, or in the potential ignor-ee's profile (pretty sure vB does offer those as administrator configurable options)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that - I was expecting to find it either in-thread, or in the potential ignor-ee's profile (pretty sure vB does offer those as administrator configurable options)
That's where I could have sworn it was, but I couldn't find it.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Well, that's what the ignore button is for - it's your choice.

Maybe I'll repost my "Things we have learnt about the USA from films and TV" thread.

For example:-

1) There are no parking restrictions in the US cities, there is always a parking space outside the building you wish to visit.

2) Americans never lock their cars.

3) A diner is always a disused railway carriage in the middle of a street.

4) A diner always has red gingham table cloths.

5) Americans never wait for a restaurant bill, they just throw some notes on the table and walk out.

6) Aliens always land near a small settlement where there is no CNN to capture it.

7) Car tyres always screech, even on dirt roads.

Plenty more where those came from.

Col

But Col....
You are smarter than to believe any of that, right?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
But Col....
You are smarter than to believe any of that, right?

I think we had this discussion when I first posted it about 7 or 8 years ago. Also, those examples I posted are very common in US films / programmes.

The thing is that Americans can see at a glance that it is bullshit. But for those of us who have no idea what could or could not be true, it is difficult to decide.

America (or Hollywood in particular) decides to show (for example) Clint Eastwood driving along in town and pulling up outside a building, no other cars parked there, he gets out of the car, goes in the building. No locking of the car, no apparent parking restrictions etc etc. It indicates that downtown parking is really easy and so safe there is no need to lock the car.
JR did the same in Dallas.

My question is - why does Hollywood give this (allegedly) false image when many people around the globe could think it is true? Note I'm only talking about the day-to-day things here, not the super special effects and all that nonesense.

Here's another - American soldiers always sing when jogging along.

Col

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
My question is - why does Hollywood give this (allegedly) false image when many people around the globe could think it is true? Note I'm only talking about the day-to-day things here, not the super special effects and all that nonesense.
Because a film showing Clint Eastwood driving around the block six times trying to find a space, or fumbling around for the right change for the parking meter, or asking a bystander if he's got any change wouldn't be a very interesting action movie - would it?

Films are inherently unrealistic about a whole load of things - it's their nature.
I'd agree that the phenomenon is particularly acute with the Hollywood film industry, but I think it's largely market-driven - they make films in which the hero always wins (and never uses the toilet) because that's what customers vote for, with their wallets.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I'm intrigued how you view India, based on Bollywood Col?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'm intrigued how you view India, based on Bollywood Col?

I've never seen a Bollywood film. I have however, spent a pleasant 3 weeks travelling round India.

I suppose if I had a complete breakdown and visited the USA, my opinion of the USA may be different (or even worse)

Col

ps - Just to confirm, I do realise why they do these things in Hollywood films, it just strikes me as funny how predictable it all is.

As you say, someone can be tied up and held hostage for days without needing the loo. Or the A Team are such crack shots, they never actually hit anyone.

Where does the sewerage go in cowboy films? Why isn't the street covered in horse shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom