want to come to an online user group meeting? (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:00
Not me I'm afraid.
I am just a dabbler, and will likely be out of the house at that time anyway.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:00
fot those of you with an older version of Access ... classic charts have been in Access since Access 97, or maybe even before -- and they are quite powerful, as you will see ...

and you CAN make them look very nice!

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
EDIT -- Premiere over -- thanks to all who came!

YouTube video from the Access Europe meeting to compare Classic and Modern charts in Access

If you missed the meeting and the premiere, you can click on the link and watch when it's convenient. There is a LOT you can do with charts and visualization. Hope this gives you some good ideas

I couldn't sleep the night before the presentation and neglected to show some important things! They've since been added -- thanks Colin!

Look in the video description (on YouTube) for links to download files

@jdraw @Uncle Gizmo @NauticalGent @theDBguy @Isaac @Gasman @isladogs @Minty @Gasman @CJ_London @GPGeorge @oleronesoftwares

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
You're invited to a user group meeting!

My next presentation will be for Access Lunchtime (more like dinner time) for those in the UK. All are welcome.

Access Lunchtime (hosted by Maria Barnes) - Deep Dive into Word Automation using VBA and Access​

date: Tuesday, May 31
time: 12 noon Central, 18:00 London

this is the link to join -- hope you'll be there!
https://accessusergroups.org/lunch/event/access-lunchtime-4-2022-05-31/

Create professional Word documents from scratch using Word Automation. This is a deep dive into code to write data and text, format, save, and open the finished document with VBA.

We often want to make datasheets look nicer and have many of them in one report. A great way to do this is by creating a Word document with lots of pages and tables.

For each Word table, open a recordset in Access, determine how many rows and columns it has, and create a table in Word that size, with an extra row to be a shaded heading row. Set column widths depending on the table type.

Loop through the recordset and write information to cells, one record and field at a time. Reference any cell in the table by row and column. Format all or any text according to where or what it is.

Learn what objects are handy to dimension and set. While developing, use early-binding and reference the Microsoft Word #.# Object Library. As you write VBA and have advantage of Intellisense, comment and convert constants to values, and write and comment late-binding object declarations to use for deployment.

Write and format text in paragraphs, tables, headers, bookmarks, captions, and hyperlinks. Put tables in cells of tables. Insert and position images.

Create and use paragraph and character styles. Use wildcards in Find/Replace to replace phrases that match a pattern such as being enclosed with parentheses with a particular character style to make many changes at once.

In a sense, we are always working with a range of the document -- whether it's the whole document or just part of it like a table, a cell, a paragraph, some text in the middle of something, .... Learn how to use and set ranges.

For internal links within a document, set bookmarks to reference from somewhere else. Add a hyperlink that goes to a bookmark in the document and set the text to display.

Create lists such as a List of Tables with hyperlinks showing table number, caption, and page number.

Create a Table of Contents with hyperlinks using built-in Heading style references such as Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3.

Define a header that will show at the top of every page. To make the content dynamic, insert text from styles such as Heading 1 and Heading 2, and fields such as date, page number and number of pages.

Use the PageSetup object to set margins. Optionally, set other properties like orientation, gutters, designate odd and even pages, and paper size.

When all is done, save the document, clean up object variables, and open a folder to files or the new document itself.

Get a sample Access database with VBA to create Word documents that enumerate Fonts installed in Windows, Word's built-in Styles, and create documents with information from tables, and insert images from path\files stored in Access.

Here is a very simplified object model for Word:

aWord_ObjectModel.png

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:00
Thanks Crystal. I'm going to miss this one too but I'll watch the video. I tried to watch the one from last month but I get no sound at all from it whether I play it in the window here or on youtube.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
@Pat Hartman thanks! I'm glad you figured out the sound problem! The song for my chemistry presentation on Thursday June 2 (although Access does the drawing, it's just as much about chemistry) is "It's just matter to me", parady of a Bread song ;)

The songs are as much fun as the rest. I'm so excited about chemistry, I've been pulling all-nighters reading and watching videos about it! I took a lot of chemistry in college, but that was before I saw any practical applications for it, and there was a lot to memorize. Now I even want to learn quantum mechanics! Anyhow, here's a report that Access drew! Can you believe it? I'm going to add a legend ... after I learn more about particle physics, lol

1653345379781.png

You might notice that the arrangment of the periodic table has changed ... this is the latest!

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
btw, here's the design view of the report ... no controls!
1653346258412.png

I might change the big character bracket over columns 8 through 10 to a drawing too

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:00
Wow, why no control? Use the .print and .line method? Does the table eveytime change so you to draw it? Even if it does change, you will surely change the code later.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
@arnelgp, it is drawn because an Access report can't do this very easily with controls. Also, you can change the way it's colored -- all the information comes from tables.

Yes, what you see uses Line and Print! Although if I draw the bracket, it will also use Circle ;)

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
You're invited to a user group meeting! Drawing with Access!

My next presentation will be for Access Pacific (late, late night) for those in the UK. It's on Thursday, June 2 (in America anyway). All are welcome.

Access Pacific (hosted by George Hepworth) - Drawing an Access Report

how to draw and write on an Access report without using controls. Example is the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements. There will be a sample database with reports so you can see code for the periodic table as well as other examples with lines, rectangels, circles, elipses, arcs, text, and more

https://accessusergroups.org/pacific/event/257-2022-06-02/

Thursday June 2, 2022
6:30 pm Pacific
(PDT), 8:30 pm central, and in the wee hour of the night/early Friday morning for the UK and Europe!
... and a comfy mid-day for Australia and New Zealand!

The topic is drawing! ... and chemistry ;) Can you believe Access did all this?

biggest element -- who knows the name of this? And what exactly is this a drawing of?
atom_Oganesson_118.png

how about the smallest, lightest element:
atom_Hydrogen_1.png

and a favorite of humans ...
atom_Oxygen_8.png

They're all arranged on a clever diagram called the Periodic Table
PeriodicTable.png

which can be printed just for specific types of elements -- and easy to change color schemes
PeriodicTable_NutritionalElements.png

hope you can make it!

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Presentation about Drawing in Access ... maybe you haven't really used these capabilities?

On Thursday (or maybe early Friday), @GPGeorge George Hepworth's group had a meeting about the drawing features for Access reports ... maybe you haven't really used these capabilities like you could? There's a lot you can do! And data can drive it.

The sample data is basic chemistry -- the elements that compose all matter. It doesn't matter what the data is -- Access is great at managing any kind of information!

Access draws
  • The Periodic Table of the Elements (standard data set or a specialized one) -- Line, Print
  • Atoms with a set number of protons and neutrons in the nucleaus and electrons orbiting around -- Circle, Print
  • several reports showing examples of various uses for the LINE and CIRCLE methods (filter Navigation Pane for Line or Circle -- more objects in the download than at the time of this presentation) and the effects of various property settings like FillStyle, DrawStyle, and DrawWidth.

elements_small.png
atom.png

The download and more information is here:

Report Draw Reference and VBA Syntax​

http://msaccessgurus.com/VBA/ReportDraw_Reference.htm

Near the top is Downloads and Documents where you can get the ACCDB database and see examples of things Access drew.

Below that is a whole lot of information ... my rewritten and simplified explanation* of syntax for drawing methods such as Line, Circle, and Print. It might seem like you can't do much with just a few methods --- oh but you can!

* please, if you notice where something is said wrong or should be clarified, let me know.

There is information for other drawing methods such as points (PSet), and using TextWidth and TextHeight so you can calculate, for instance, where the middle of text will be so you can position CurrentX and CurrentY to its beginning location before Print.

There is also information for several properties you can read and write when drawing, useful functions, order of events, about syntax used, units of measure, and more.

Someone mentioned mapping -- Colin @isladogs would have some ideas about that ...

Here is the video from the presentation recording

AP: Drawing Shapes in an Access Report - Elements and Atoms

Please comments and share your ideas. ... and more, @jdraw (thanks for being there)

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Word Automation Deep Dive

Word Automation from Access VBA Deep Dive
Here is the video from the presentation. Thanks to those of you who were there live :)

Just as the title suggests, this is a deep dive into automating Word from Access. Understand key concepts in Word such as Application, Document, Range, Bookmark, Selection, Table, Cell, Style, Paragraph, Character, Templates, Building Blocks, ... and see what Access can make Word do! ... some things you might not even know about yet about Word. Lots of VBA and handouts (links in video description) you can use to pattern after when you write programs.

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Word Document Properties and Fields

Not a presentation, but I just posted an interesting video on YouTube about using document properties in Word to substitute data in documents that you might like if you do a lot with Word:

Word Document Properties and Fields (14:06)

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom