What do you do in your spare time? (1 Viewer)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 21:02
No wonder Americans have such a long history of starting wars, they treat guns like toys:rolleyes:

No Rich, you need to practice for acuracy so that when you shoot someone you're not just going to p*ss them off ;)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 15:02
No wonder Americans have such a long history of starting wars, they treat guns like toys:rolleyes:
only 20 replies until Rich came in? Too bad, I thought it would last longer. =)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 13:02
I used to do target shooting - so it not just a Yank thing

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Is the art of weaponry really something we cast off with childhood, together with our sense of adventure and self preservation? Do we do this safe in the knowledge that someone else will do our “dirty work” for us? Can we acknowledge that we are all different, and that no two beings on the planet think exactly the same? That being the case can there not be a case for some people continuing to perceive threat, whether tangible or fictional? Regardless of whether the fear is of intruders or starvation, the will to survive is built in to all beings. Some of us insist that the pen is mightier than the sword whilst others continue to see the opposite. If it were indeed true that the pen is mightier than the sword why do we favour an M16 over a BIC as our chosen weapon for those we pay to defend our countries?

There is also the case for those who enjoy the sportsmanship of weapons, such as archery and shooting. It is unfortunate that our country has hounded all rights to gun ownership underground, no fear there, then, that the UK might win gold in that Olympic sport. How long before someone is killed or maimed with an arrow and that sport too is taken from our shores? Why do the few who go off the rails consistently become the advertisements for these sports? One man loses his mind and all are judged the same.

I was once a member of Hunt Saboteurs, we fought against fox hunting, not because the pretty fox was being killed, but because of the way it was being killed. In the hands of a skilled marksman the gun offers a far more humane death than the hounds. In the name of humanity, I would say that the gun has its uses. There is no need to wear one on our streets, but in the country side it is a necessity.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
There is no need to wear one on our streets, but in the country side it is a necessity.

I walk all over the countryside and have never needed one, haven't seen any other walkers with one either.

Brian

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I walk all over the countryside and have never needed one, haven't seen any other walkers with one either.

Brian

LOL, you're right Brian, very badly worded, I meant that guns are necessary for country management, by farmers of course. It's always useful for them to have a gun to shoot trespassers :D

One of the best signs I've seen yet is in a small town close to us where they declare "this is a guns free town"... :eek:

DevastatioN

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:02
I play Poker, Chess, competitive gaming.

I like to brew my own beer, play on line poker (Texas Hold 'Em), and play with guns. Also like birdwatching and -as Mike Gurman said - "forage for wild food" (berries, mushrooms, and a few critters).

You play at Pokerstars? If so what limits?

BeerSnob

Former Redneck
Local time
Today, 16:02

I play at FullTilt. Small stakes - .10/.20 blinds, Pot Limit.
Tend to lose more than win, so it's just entertainment.

Lil' Rascal

y = x
Local time
Today, 13:02
still love the Rave scene, the music, and the people...
I still do the DJ dance. Mostly at home or over internet radio these days. Haven't actually been to a rave in ages but haven't been able to let go of the music....

I have a six year that lives with his excuse for a mother but I pick him most weekends. I enjoy spending most of my spare time with him but in my *spare* spare time I spin records (Progressive trance, Breaks & House), Paint, vegetate on the xbox, ride aggressive street BMX, and sit on the front porch and talk shop with the neighborhood old folks (Who else would know who's daughters are single and in town for the weekend except the old busy bodies?).

Other than that I'm a fairly whimsical guy I do what I feel like doing when the whim hits me.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
I have found the activity "vegetate" quite relaxing as of late. But, if the energy is there, I like to play in the wood shop, making something useful out of someone else's castoffs.

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Wish I had spare time!

I do quite a bit outside of work, if that's what you mean!

- Run my business Suffolk Computer Services
- Play field hockey (Goal Keeper) for Ipswich Ladies
- Adult Leader for a Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award group
- Adult Leader for a newly-forming Bronze/Silver/Gold DofE Award Group
- Hiking, walking, cycling
- Camping
- Doing a 200 mile walk in July in aid of charity (http://www.justgiving.com/c2cwalk2009)

I used to do a lot of watersports with Sea Cadets (I was a Petty Officer) but due to time constraints when I was doing my MSc I had to give this up - perhaps when I have a bit more "spare time" I'll start that up again!

Ruth x

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Spare time is taken up by, growing cacti and succulents, reading (esp. science books on quantum theory), photography and jazz guitar. I also am interested in recreational programming, but .net is far, far to slow and all my programming projects have grounded to a halt. I may start again but on a mac this time.

boophoenix

Registered User.
Local time
I stand corrected by DevastatioN on the following post, Thank Ya. I didn't completely understand the rules of the game. I guess that's what I get for playing to kill time waiting for a game a knew. Ended up putting more attention into this one than the one I knew and lost them both, lol.

If yall are playing on pokerstars a slight warning. I was just in a omaha freeroll ( first time to ever play omaha ) and got hit for half my stack with 130 or so to go. I had an ace high flush beaten by a straight. Then at 109th place had a full house beaten by the same guy with another straight and knocked out. I holdem there and have placed in the holdem and draw freerolls in the last week or so. Was fixing to start using my WR2 tickets, but thinking that might be a bad idea till they fix this issue.

The fella with the straights ended up in 24th. Attached are screen shots of the two hands from there instant replay window. I'm waiting to see if there support will contact me back about it to see what answer they give for a straight beating a flush and full house.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal had it happened earlier in the tournament or if I didn't play for money there from time to time.

capture_04022010_011519.jpg

capture_04022010_005437.jpg

capture_04022010_011656.jpg

Last edited:

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:02
If yall are playing on pokerstars a slight warning. I was just in a omaha freeroll ( first time to ever play omaha ) and got hit for half my stack with 130 or so to go. I had an ace high flush beaten by a straight. Then at 109th place had a full house beaten by the same guy with another straight and knocked out.
Neither hand is recognized as such though, your full house is Trip aces
Your flush is 2 pair

I think you may need to check the rulez, if Flush/Full house exist in this game

DevastatioN

Registered User.
Local time
Hello,

I used to play $5/$10 or $10/$20 Texas Hold'em on Pokerstars, since I've graduated I havent had enough time to grind 5-6 hours a day anymore, so I rarely play.

The problem in your hands demonstrated is that you don't seem to understand the rules of Omaha. The rules state you must use EXACTLY 2 cards from your hand and EXACTLY 3 cards from the community.

In hand 1, the two cards you would use from your hand are clearly the 2 aces, on the community you would use the 1 ace to form trip aces. However no other community cards are paired, so you cannot make your full house. Your hand is AA from your hand, and AKQ from the community, making your hand Three of a pair Aces, with King and Queen kicker.

In hand two, you do not have a flush because you are trying to use three from your hand and two from the board. Only cards in your hand that pairs to make anything is a 7, and a 4, so you would use those two with the 7 and 4 on the board to make two pair, King kicker.

Hope this helps,

If yall are playing on pokerstars a slight warning. I was just in a omaha freeroll ( first time to ever play omaha ) and got hit for half my stack with 130 or so to go. I had an ace high flush beaten by a straight. Then at 109th place had a full house beaten by the same guy with another straight and knocked out. I holdem there and have placed in the holdem and draw freerolls in the last week or so. Was fixing to start using my WR2 tickets, but thinking that might be a bad idea till they fix this issue.

The fella with the straights ended up in 24th. Attached are screen shots of the two hands from there instant replay window. I'm waiting to see if there support will contact me back about it to see what answer they give for a straight beating a flush and full house.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal had it happened earlier in the tournament or if I didn't play for money there from time to time.

View attachment 30645

View attachment 30644

View attachment 30646

boophoenix

Registered User.
Local time
The problem in your hands demonstrated is that you don't seem to understand the rules of Omaha. The rules state you must use EXACTLY 2 cards from your hand and EXACTLY 3 cards from the community.

In hand 1, the two cards you would use from your hand are clearly the 2 aces, on the community you would use the 1 ace to form trip aces. However no other community cards are paired, so you cannot make your full house. Your hand is AA from your hand, and AKQ from the community, making your hand Three of a pair Aces, with King and Queen kicker.

In hand two, you do not have a flush because you are trying to use three from your hand and two from the board. Only cards in your hand that pairs to make anything is a 7, and a 4, so you would use those two with the 7 and 4 on the board to make two pair, King kicker.

Hope this helps,

Thank you DevastatioN. I stand corrected as I was unaware of this aspect of omaha. Apparently you can get more than access assistance here as well.

Where were ya before earlier with the tip?? lol. I almost got real tight in my playing and might have made the remaining seats. That makes the game much easier I think. will have to try again soon.

I'll leave my previous post up so the responses aren't lost in confusion.

DevastatioN

Registered User.
Local time
Np, ya you can get tons of help with many things on these forums. I haven't been around a whole lot lately as my job shifted from the main access developer.

I never really played Omaha, always Texas Hold'em. The biggest thing for sure is knowing all of the odds vs knowing all of the pot odds. This is definitely the basis for making correct decisions based on all foreseeable assumptions. In time your assumptions will be more correct as you learn from your mistakes on putting people on incorrect ranges.

Playing tight and correctly preflop helps make post-flop decisions easier as well.

Something you should look up for tournaments if you're into Texas Hold'em as well, is Push/Fold charts. These charts when memorized are extremely helpful and give you a good theoretical idea of how to play short stacked. The charts actually show the optimal play when you are below 10 M (M refers to your stack divided by the Big Blind + Small Blind + Ante, or in other words how many table rounds you could survive if you folded every hand). Very helpful at placing well in tournaments.

Also, variance sucks :)

boophoenix

Registered User.
Local time
Thank ya again. I'll look into that a little. I use to play pretty often a few years back and had respectful finishes on average ( top 5% to 10% ) in the freerolls. Till someone decided they liked my laptop more than me and acquired it from my home along with other items. I did fair in the real money side other than the ring games. I'd take a bad beat in a tourney or sit and go and hit the ring games and take a beating ( half way on tilt ). The bad beats and just plain bad players don't bother me so much any more.

I just started to play again to clear my head in the past couple of weeks or so. I picked up a a second round seat on the 23rd of Jan in one of the Hubbles think I ended up 34th out 9000. Then tried my luck at draw on Feb 2 and finished 8th in it out of 6000. Had some loose change left in my acount and tried two of the penny 900 seat sit and goes placed in one and was close enough ( 90th or something ) in the other to be comfortable with my finish.

My plan is to try to pick up a couple more round 2 seats then I'll start giving them a shot. I have 3 at present and would like to have five or more before I start using them. That way I can play them fairly consistently a few times to find my weak points in those. Unlike the first round of just trying to not get out drawn by weaker players early on most of these should be fairly strong players from the get go.

I still lack a little skill in the latter part of the tournaments. The last 100 or so gets me a little off guard as blinds and antes are so high. At which stage pot stealing comes into play a lot and I'm still playing a little to conservatively.

As far as being short stacked I don't mind it and even enjoy the come backs. It adds a lot more challenge to the game. I fair better being short or mid stacked compared to stacked. When it's all said and done if I can keep my average around the 5% mark I'll be happy.

DevastatioN

Registered User.
Local time
Hello again,

It sounds like you have a bit of issue with some of the flow of tournaments. Different stages really require sometimes different skills, many times you go from a big stack to a short stack playing fast, then work back up and you need to slow down etc.

It sounds like you do fine in them, I'm more of a ring game player but I did play tournaments and 1 table SnG's a lot before I left. Top100 is definitely a different ballgame as everyone is large stacked again and playing actual poker, then the blinds get faster and you see short stacks again, eventually everyone consolidates into a big stack again and etc.

Bankroll management is important and useful. You should have about 200-300BB for Limit ($5/$10 Limit requires $2000-$3000 to play correctly to offshoot any variance/luck). For No Limit it's a lot more, I think it's around 20 max buy-in's, I remember it being $2000 as well for $1/$2 No Limit.

For tournaments I also remember that it's something like 200 tournament entries, so if you're grinding $2 tournaments, you need $400 to offshoot variance/luck.

You seem to have sound understanding in such that you don't get mad at bad players bad beating you, you try to find your leaks, etc. My biggest issue to get around was always turning up the aggression on mediocre hands when I had to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom