What's your best/worst joke? (2 Viewers)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:32
Trigger's Broom...

Trigger's Well Maintained Broom | Only Fools and Horses

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:32
I'm stuck to this desk for the next 20 years.
I hope you're not serious. AFAIK, western civilization thinks that workers in Japan are extremely over-worked, and for what end goal? An early demise? I've read you even have a word for one of the consequences of such a punishing work ethic. What good comes from that if you don't live long enough to enjoy life? I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing. It is just concern for your well-being and for the things you might miss out on in life.

deletedT

Local time
I hope you're not serious. AFAIK, western civilization thinks that workers in Japan are extremely over-worked, and for what end goal? An early demise? I've read you even have a word for one of the consequences of such a punishing work ethic. What good comes from that if you don't live long enough to enjoy life? I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing. It is just concern for your well-being and for the things you might miss out on in life.
No, I was serious. It's hard to explain why. Maybe it's something like a duty to our family, or our country. We don't have anything in this land. Some countries have oil, some have gold, some have diamond. Some countries have excellent sense of fashion to make money out of it, some have a very old history with historical monument.
We have nothing. We are a small country with a lot of mistakes in our history. We started a war and did horrible and unforgivable crimes. The only door left open for us to make a living is to manufacture something and sell it. And it needs an immense effort.
Maybe it's something in our blood, in our DNA. I don't really know what makes us work so hard. Maybe we are too serious. What is for sure, I love my job. It fills me with a strange power when I finish a day and look back what I've done. It's so satisfying to seat back into my chair every evening and strike out what I was supposed to do that day.

I hope I had a good answer. But I really don't know why. Maybe a habit. Maybe a disease. But we don't regret it.

PS: I don't know what you heard. But as far as I know there's no word and no punishing for what you describe. Maybe if you tell me the word, I can explain it better. I've seen several documentary TV proagrams from US. But either they don't know us or they meant to spread a different image of us.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, if you are happy I guess that's what matters. However, a very large part of North American economy is based on manufacturing as well, and we seem to do OK economically speaking by working mostly 40 hour weeks. Many/most of us believe in a work-life balance and view the Japanese work ethic as punishing (meaning it is far too demanding of the worker).
I think the word is karoshi?

deletedT

Local time
Well, if you are happy I guess that's what matters. However, a very large part of North American economy is based on manufacturing as well, and we seem to do OK economically speaking by working mostly 40 hour weeks. Many/most of us believe in a work-life balance and view the Japanese work ethic as punishing (meaning it is far too demanding of the worker).
I think the word is karoshi?
I wish there was a way we could learn how to do it like you.

Karoushi is not a punishment. It means dying because of working too much.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Tell me what you want to know and I will give you the statistics for it. That's the problem with citing numbers. Suppose we look at it another way:
Suicide rates (2016):
Japan #30
US #34
Canada #72
Karoushi is not a punishment.
You're interpreting those comments incorrectly. In this case, punishing doesn't mean it is derived from punishment given, it means
grueling/tortuous/exhausting/backbreaking

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I think we've hijacked this thread. Apologies to all.
Tera, I would be happy to continue the discussion but we should probably pm because this thread was supposed to be about jokes!

Papa_Bear1

Local time
This is for bad jokes?

OK:
Q: Why does a giraffe have such a long neck?
A: Because it is so far from its head to its body.

deletedT

Local time
pastedImage22.png

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:32
Access Blaster: I hope it does not come to that!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Our kids have been running out of excuses for not visiting. Seems that the COVID-19 pandemic has now given them the new excuse that not visiting us is for our benefit by protecting us from the disease. Time to write them out of the will? 😀

Pretensions of Rodney Dangerfield.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:32
Dang, were was I. I can practice social distancing an enjoy a beer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom