What's your best/worst joke? (2 Viewers)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:49
A few years ago, the joke was that there was a Sam Houston Institute of Technology. The institution in question was actually Sam Houston College but the joke wouldn't go away, particularly when talking about the cheerleader squad ... "Give me an S, give me an H, give me... what does it spell?" you get the idea.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 18:49
That's funny. Reminds me of after 9/11, (I believe that's when it was, that 'ISIS' became a household name), I felt bad for the various businesses and institutionalized acronyms that had never had any problem being 'ISIS' before

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 10:49
Screenshot_20240215_231811.jpg

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:49
skeletons never go to a discotheque because .................. they have nobody to dance with 🤣🤣

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Nothing to do with global warming. The poor thing was sired by an amorous ram, modelling himself on the escapades of Russell Brand....

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 21:49
trumpet = horn in that instance I believe. Not all of us were band-nerds in highschool...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Could you let me know where she bought it from? I'd like to get Adam one!

murphybridget

Local time
Today, 09:49
I play accordion, trumpet, play like I play electric bass, but my main instrument is organ. I have none of the other instruments after Hurricane Katrina flooded my house in 2005, but I have a Technics SX-F5 organ. It is a midi-compatible full "pop" console with 2x61 note keyboards and a 25-note pedalboard.
I'm curious, how did playing music affect your career?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:49
I'm curious, how did playing music affect your career?

It is not often appreciated outside of the programing community, but playing music from printed sheet music prepares you for the idea of performing distinct steps in a specific order. You learn about repetition (looping) within a longer sequence because of repeating the same musical phrase several times for different verses in a song. You learn about "case" statements when you have different words for verses or different musical verse endings for a repeat sequence depending on which verse you are playing. There is the "jump and return" concept when you play something that involves the "Coda" and "Dal segno al coda" constructs. Also happens when you have tradition verse, chorus, and a "trio" passage that then returns to the verse and chorus. AND there is the idea of parallel operations (multi-threading) if you have what is called contrapuntal harmony (a.k.a. "counterpoint") where two different but related passages are played at once, one on each hand. Programming can get more complex than most music, but music concepts helped me a lot.

I won't say that my ability to play music "the right way" made me a better programmer. But it did prepare me for a lot of advanced programming concepts. Then again, considering that originally I was trained as a chemist, there was a bit of a gap there. But it filled in nicely and I became a computer-literate chemist, which made me a multi-threat person.

murphybridget

Local time
Today, 09:49
It is not often appreciated outside of the programing community, but playing music from printed sheet music prepares you for the idea of performing distinct steps in a specific order. You learn about repetition (looping) within a longer sequence because of repeating the same musical phrase several times for different verses in a song. You learn about "case" statements when you have different words for verses or different musical verse endings for a repeat sequence depending on which verse you are playing. There is the "jump and return" concept when you play something that involves the "Coda" and "Dal segno al coda" constructs. Also happens when you have tradition verse, chorus, and a "trio" passage that then returns to the verse and chorus. AND there is the idea of parallel operations (multi-threading) if you have what is called contrapuntal harmony (a.k.a. "counterpoint") where two different but related passages are played at once, one on each hand. Programming can get more complex than most music, but music concepts helped me a lot.

I won't say that my ability to play music "the right way" made me a better programmer. But it did prepare me for a lot of advanced programming concepts. Then again, considering that originally I was trained as a chemist, there was a bit of a gap there. But it filled in nicely and I became a computer-literate chemist, which made me a multi-threat person.
It's very amusing to hear that music can help someone in getting to know their career.

Cotswold

Local time
As vets appear to be so afflicted with greed, do they need their own hospital to cope with the injuries metered out by furious pet owners?

Or it is only in Australia?

Attachments

• VetHospitalxx.jpg
    VetHospitalxx.jpg
    879.2 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom