Where do You get Your News? (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 15:42
KenHigg said:
I never said he was suspect, whatever that means. If he holds such a high position in an outstanding organization such as the BBC I'm sure he's an exceptional person. I simply stated that he would probably be pro-gambling because of his past business interests in the industry...

I may have misread your comment
Do you think Mr Grade may be slightly pro gambling industry?
as to having an underlying hint or seediness about it - my apologies if that was not the case.

JJ - Zimbabwe is right up the US governments street, lots of killing, houses being destroyed, people made homeless, government terrorists killing people and the whole place is run by a Dictator who's crazy. not sure if they have oil though. - Perhaps you haven't heard about it on your unbiased public radio station.;)

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 10:42
Rich said:
Well that figures :rolleyes:

Admitting one is not omnipresent, is the first step to enlightenment.

I would invite you to try it, but objectivity is certainly not one of your weaknesses.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
I would invite you to try it, but objectivity is certainly not one of your weaknesses.
Neither is enlightenment on worldly affairs Josephi :cool:
hell we even know what's going on in your country :eek:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
JJ - Zimbabwe is right up the US governments street, lots of killing, houses being destroyed, people made homeless, government terrorists killing people and the whole place is run by a Dictator who's crazy. not sure if they have oil though. - Perhaps you haven't heard about it on your unbiased public radio station.;)

Col

They have 448 audio articles on their website. I’m sure they have a wide variety of human interest stories and political discussions.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
They have 448 audio articles on their website.
And you've never heard of the place, Josey start doing some listening to something other than US propoganda:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:
They have 448 audio articles on their website. I’m sure they have a wide variety of human interest stories and political discussions.
good oh, shame nobody listens to them though - so this public radio thingy, is it not a proper radio station with news and reports and music? or do you have to go online and select what you want to listen to.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
I may have misread your comment

as to having an underlying hint or seediness about it - my apologies if that was not the case.

Col

Seediness. Thats and interesting word. So that I can better follow your logic here, help me out - Would you agree to the online def of the word: 'Somewhat disreputable'?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
good oh, shame nobody listens to them though - so this public radio thingy, is it not a proper radio station with news and reports and music? or do you have to go online and select what you want to listen to.

Col

Yes and no, it is on the radio. But the format is completely different than regular broadcast.

First Public Radio is non-profit. The public broadcasting society was formed in the late 50s (not sure may have been the early 60s). It has programming like the arts, and human interest stories. Local stations have their own programming but they also are members of NPR where they get their national and international reports.

The local stations will air community programming on such things as local restaurants, things to do on weekends, what kind of jobs are growing, stuff like that. They also have talk show on local politics, where they invite the mayor or the congress person, etc.

Public Broadcasting was originally paid for by grants from the US government, but as the funds dwindled they started taking donations from private citizens and private grants. Like the Gates, McCarthy, and such as that.

It seam’s like you should have something like this in Europe.

You probably do and you’re just playing me.

R

Rich

jsanders said:

Nope, we'd much rather pay for it ourselves and get unbiased reporting

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:

Europe may have, we haven't in the UK, as we've discussed, we have the BBC and BBC local radio for news closer to home.

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know I'm off home now, its 4pm finish today. I'm sure Rich will continue this discussion.

Have a nice weekend all.

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Nope, we'd much rather pay for it ourselves and get unbiased reporting

Have you not been listening. We do pay for it.

Obtuse again huh?

KenHigg

Local time
Speaking of media bias, here are a few interesting excerpts from a BBC critic:

The BBC's mental assumptions are those of the fairly soft Left. They are that American power is a bad thing, whereas the UN is good, that the Palestinians are in the right and Israel isn't, that the war in Iraq was wrong, that the European Union is a good thing and that people who criticise it are "xenophobic", that racism is the worst of all sins, that abortion is good and capital punishment is bad, that too many people are in prison, that a preference for heterosexual marriage over other arrangements is "judgmental", that environmentalists are public-spirited and "big business" is not, that Gerry Adams is better than Ian Paisley, that government should spend more on social programmes, that the Pope is out of touch except when he criticises the West, that gun control is the answer to gun crime, that... well, you can add hundreds more articles to the creed without my help.

On the same programme (the famed Today), I heard an interviewer asking an Islamist, virtually unchallenged, to expound his belief that the men who killed thousands in the World Trade Centre were doing the will of Allah. Imagine such respectful treatment for some white fascist who thinks God wants black people dead.

Source

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Sounds like we don’t need to listen to broadcast from the BBC; we can tune in right here.

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 22:42
something very interesting about NPR that many are not aware of:

Link

note that NPR is refered to as a cultural institution in this and another article i read.

IMHO it's simply great reporting. if you decide to give it a try, take some time to get used to it if it's not your style at first, or you might not see the attraction (like so many things...). you'll probably be surprised at how hard it is to go back to what you listened to or watched before.

p.s. the lottery is gambling in every sense, and even in name (lottery). ;)

Last edited:
R

Rich

KenHigg said:
Speaking of media bias, here are a few interesting excerpts from a BBC critic:

Source
That was written by a pro Bush, pro war in Iraq prat who was complaining about having to pay a licence fee, but then if he lived in the States he wouldn't have to listen to anything other than propaganda, would he:rolleyes:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
wazz said:
something very interesting about NPR that many are not aware of:

Link

note that NPR is refered to as a cultural institution in this and another article i read.

IMHO it's simply great reporting. give it a chance - take some time to get used to it, if it's not your style at first - and you'll be surprised at how hard it is to go back to what you listened to or watched before.

p.s. the lottery is gambling in every sense, and even in name (lottery). ;)

That’s because it’s geared for more intellectual people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom