Where do You get Your News? (1 Viewer)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 09:19
It seems to me that most of the arguments here stem from the news sources people use.

So I’m curios.

I get the majority of mine from NPR, PRI, and the BBC.

And I get my financial news mostly from Reuters

Last edited:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:19
I get a decent chunk of my news from the various tv networks (to a degree, I'm in the news business), a little slice now and again from the Daily Show. For print news, I read The Week, which is a magazine that summarizes the best stories from a variety of sources.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:19
Kraj, TV Networks and the Daily Show!?!?
Well at least that explains some things.

So what is NPR and PRI?

I like ArabNews English print, BBC is ok for a different view also. But I do use multi-online sources. I hardly ever watch the national news from any of the major stations anymore as I have found they seem to either put their own spin/take on a subject (not true unbiased reporting) or skip stores all together if it is not to their way of thinking. I do watch local news however.

Last edited:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
FoFa said:
Kraj, TV Networks and the Daily Show!?!?
Well at least that explains some things.

So what is NPR and PRI?

I like ArabNews English print, BBC is ok for a different view also. But I do use multi-online sources. I hardly ever watch the national news from any of the major stations anymore as I have found they seem to either put their own spin/take on a subject (not true unbiased reporting) or skip stores all together if it is not to their way of thinking. I do watch local news however.

National Public Radio
Public Radio International

Which explains my propensity to talk about scientific and environmental issues.

http://www.npr.org/
http://www.theworld.org/

Only usally on the radio.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
I've heard the Bush Admin wants to pull funding to NPR. Anyone else hear that? Oh, I catch the BBC World News when I can on public tv, and check CNN on-line.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Friday said:
I've heard the Bush Admin wants to pull funding to NPR. Anyone else hear that? Oh, I catch the BBC World News when I can on public tv, and check CNN on-line.

More or less any non-Southern Baptist Bible thumping, anti war mongering, pollution control, advocate type programming is hereby banded by the FCC.

This is message from the Emergency Broadcast System.

PUBLIC NOTICE: In the interest of National Security and implemented by the Homeland Security Department as authorized by the Patriot Act.

All public radio is hereby banned by the FCC.

(But only until this terrorist threat has been contained.)

As soon as we have secured the planet, free speech and mobility will be restored to the American People.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Who pays for that?

The following is Copied from NPR.org

NPR supports its operations through a combination of membership dues and programming fees from over 780 independent radio stations, sponsorship from private foundations and corporations, and revenue from the sales of transcripts, books, CDs, and merchandise. A very small percentage -- between one percent to two percent of NPR's annual budget -- comes from competitive grants sought by NPR from federally funded organizations, such as the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Science Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Many Right wingers in the US mistakenly think NPR, PRI, and Public Radio in general have a liberal bias. And if you compare them to right wing networks like FOX you would find the more balanced approach of NPR to be left of your sensibilities.

Check out their web site and listen to some of there recordings of some of their broadcast.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
I get the news from my homepage: http://news.google.com/ modified to fill my needs.
There I have all the news and links to all the papers that talks about it. This way I don't get the version of the news dictate by someone, but versions of every newspaper so I can build my opinion instead of taking someone else's.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
As soon as we have secured the planet, free speech and mobility will be restored to the American People.
As long as they're not communists, eh:rolleyes:

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 21:19
Last edited:

Year of the Tig

Registered User.
Local time
I try to get info from lots of different sources in different countries, and use the web a lot for this.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:
The following is Copied from NPR.org. . . . . . . . "sponsorship from private foundations and corporations"
so yet again as is usual in the USA, its big businesses that call the tune and tell the NPR what to say (like they control the US Government) - or the money dries up:rolleyes: and those businesses have alot of clout in the US government, so NPR will be very careful what they say no doubt.

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
so yet again as is usual in the USA, its big businesses that call the tune and tell the NPR what to say (like they control the US Government) - or the money dries up:rolleyes: and those businesses have alot of clout in the US government, so NPR will be very careful what they say no doubt.

Col

Morning Col,

This is one of the few times you can actually find out for yourself. Just go to their web site and scroll around pick any news cast you want and take a listen.

Between NPR and PRI I challenge you to find a more well-balanced and impartial news program.

www.npr.org
www.theworld.org

Joe

PS. The vast majority comes from their affiliate radio stations and are primarily funded by listener contributions (like my $100.00 per year)

Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:

Col

Just like the BBC... Go figure :rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Good Afternoon Joe,

Unfortunately, our IT people have stopped us listening to radio from tinternet because its in a "high bandwidth category" so I'll have to take your word for it.

So if NPR has "sponsorship from private foundations and corporations" what do they (corporations) get for their money? just advertising space?

In a country where money is God and lots of money = lots of influence and power, I find it difficult to believe these companies don't exert influence on whats broadcast, especially where the US government is concerned. e.g. we all know that big companies in the US pay huge money to keep the government from implementing emission controls in line with Kyoto etc.

So it may seem fair that the government in return gets these companies to put pressure on little radio stations to always show things "favourably" or if it must mention "delicate" items - to skirt over them quickly.

Too cynical perhaps?

would a local TV station show the film Fahrenheit 9/11 on a saturday night? have you seen it? its very revealing

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
KenHigg said:
Just like the BBC... Go figure :rolleyes:

The BBC is not funded by sponsorship from private foundations and corporations - its funded by the UK people paying a TV license fee.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom